Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2004 :  9:22:24 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "The Notebook"....sure made me cry..and Big Stone Gap..I loved that one too. I havn't got much done this week but reading and gardening..hey, that makes for a good week!!!!
have any of you read "Queen of the Big Time" by Adriana Trigiani? It is only out in hardback so far and our tiny town library dosn't have it yet. I saw it recomended on Oprah...(blushing..I know I know...but I like the book club part!!) and wondered if you all had read it yet?

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  06:18:07 AM  Show Profile
I've not read the NOtebook yet, but everyone says the new movie is just great, and yes everyone leaves crying. I'll have to either read it or go see the movie. Don't be embarassed, Jenny. O still occasionally has some good shows, altho most lately are a little too show bizzy for me. I don't catch it hardly at all anymore, but when I do, I appreciate it for what it is (and is not). Helps me remember where my values are!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
I just wish I had time to read all the books I already *have,* not to mention the ones I *want* to get! I just finished Suzanne Clothier's "Bones Would Rain From The Sky." It's on dog behavior and human-dog interaction. I adored it and only wish the dog and I could get away to Suzanne's farm in NY state for some personal training sessions. Oh, well, maybe when I win that lottery and all ... :)

I'm currently reading a book on headaches -- triggers, thresholds, etc. Very interesting. It ties in nicely with the way my bodywork business is going, that being headache and stress relief. In fact, I plan to attend a 4.5 day training in Berkeley in September, specific to headache healing. I'm totally psyched about it, as it's a way to completely set what I do apart from many other massage and bodywork therapists, AND it dovetails nicely with the energy work I do. Yippee!

Oh, yes, my daughter and I are reading the "Magic Tree House" books, from #1 through the latest, although she's already ready many of them. Now she wants to read them in order.

pj

Paula J.
northeastern Oklahoma
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Paula, I'd be interested to know what book you've read on headaches, and more about the energy work that you do along with the massage work. That is definately an area of interest for me.
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  8:02:17 PM  Show Profile
The headache one sounds interesting to me too. I get little headaches really easily. I guess stress, but it is irritating.
My kids love the magic schoolhouse books. My youngest is reading them now and the older two still at home have read all the ones that are out. They love the old "Choose your own Mystery" books too. My older sons, grown now had a whole collection of them and now the younger ones are enjoying them.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  10:42:58 PM  Show Profile
My daughter loves the "Magic Tree House" series too. We are getting ready to re-read the Little House collection, and since we added a rabbit to our family, we'll add "Bunnicula" to the reading pile. Any suggestions for books an older-teen (boy) would enjoy?

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2004 :  10:00:54 AM  Show Profile
A friend who's just been divorced after 38 years of marriage, and who is helping out a relative who has breast cancer, suggested we see The Notebook movie - she said she needed to see an uplifting story. Well, it's an excellent movie, I thought, although the reviews I read didn't give it a good review. You'll definitely cry, but don't go if you're having any personal problems - it'll just make them worse!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2004 :  1:23:02 PM  Show Profile
My boys always loved reading the Louis Lamour and Zane Grey westerns and action type books too. Lonesome Dove is a long book but both my oldest boys (now 24 and 26) loved it when they were teens. I probably pushed the westerns...but they do like them.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  5:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Wanted to suggest another author whose name is Susan Wittig Albert; she writes the "China Bayles" mystery series. Her theme in all of her books is that a simpler life is better. Focuses on growing herbs and has lots of information on the history of herbs and recipes using herbs. I am not a mystery fan but just love her work. She lives in a rural area outside of Austin, Texas. Left her life as the vice president of a university to write, grow herbs and knit. Is starting a new series on the life of Beatrix Potter, who was a farmer, lover of nature and the author of the "Peter Rabbit" books for kids. She also has started an organization for women that has chapters and an online component; the purpose of the organization is to encourage women to journal and explore their life stories. Check out her books and website. (I am a librarian--can you tell?)

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  7:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow...sounds great..I will have to check out her stuff!!
I just got a new book to read (at the library)..by Fanny Flagg..."Standing in the Rainbow". Have any of Y'all read it?

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  8:27:51 PM  Show Profile
I read "Standing in the Rainbow" a year or so ago. I loved it. It was such a "feel good" book, with a lovely message and characters you "cared" about.
My book group has chosen "Plain Truth"...any reviews out there (before I go and buy it)?
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  07:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
The book is called "Heal Your Headaches." I found it via the One Spirit book club. I like a lot of his research; what I don't like is the liberal use of meds both to treat and as a preventative. But it's well worth the time to read.

I try to use Reiki and/or polarity as part of my massage, as a matter of course. I generally do it as "general relaxation" or "my hands are going to be very still for a little bit," because a lot of folks around here are very leery of anything out of the Bible Belt norm! My husband teases me, telling me I went from years of selling snake oil (public relations) to voodoo (natural healing).

I'm enrolled in a wonderful-sounding workshop in Berkeley in September. The training is specific for headache relief and teaching others to relieve their own headaches. I can't wait!

pj

quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Paula, I'd be interested to know what book you've read on headaches, and more about the energy work that you do along with the massage work. That is definately an area of interest for me.
Thanks!

Paula J.
northeastern Oklahoma
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  9:22:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by connio

Wanted to suggest another author whose name is Susan Wittig Albert; she writes the "China Bayles" mystery series. Her theme in all of her books is that a simpler life is better. Focuses on growing herbs and has lots of information on the history of herbs and recipes using herbs. I am not a mystery fan but just love her work. She lives in a rural area outside of Austin, Texas. Left her life as the vice president of a university to write, grow herbs and knit. Is starting a new series on the life of Beatrix Potter, who was a farmer, lover of nature and the author of the "Peter Rabbit" books for kids. She also has started an organization for women that has chapters and an online component; the purpose of the organization is to encourage women to journal and explore their life stories. Check out her books and website. (I am a librarian--can you tell?)

cozycottage

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  9:43:36 PM  Show Profile
whoops..my fingers do the weirdest things when there is a blue moon. I believe I have read the entire Chyna Bayles series. I love mysteries, and I love herbs. I first read of Susan Wittig Albert in the Herb Companion. Thanks for the info on her latest endeavors. I love it when I hear people are reading w i t h their kids. Besides to them. My 34 yr. old son says he remembers harvest time when he would sit under a tree snapping beans for canning, while I read Tolkien stories to him. (I think we both benefited from that one). That same son is very talented in helping to alleviate the pain of headaches and leg cramps. I think he must be using the same techniques we are reading about hear. Also, I am just reading/learning about Reiki too.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic read two books this week... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page