Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Cool Find at the Thrift on my lunch hour!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cool Find at the Thrift on my lunch hour!!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:46:42 AM  Show Profile
While I was walking out of the St. Vincent Depaul in Newport, I noticed a lingerie sized washboard in the window and went back in...it was $5.00 and said, "The Busy Bee No. 16", with a cute little black bee on it...it's been well used, but it still sturdy. Looked it up when I got back and some deal on line has the same one for $35.00

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile
The way to go girl

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:51:31 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really cute Jonni. I used to have a wash board but dumb me I must have let it go somewhere along the line.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray for you!!! Now THAT'S a good lunch hour!!! :D Post a photo when you can. I love washboards. I used to be the number one fan of a local jug band - who knew the washboard could be such a musical instrument??

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:56:43 AM  Show Profile
I was pretty happy!!! Then, I thought, because that was such a dealio, that I would go to this junk/salvage furniture shop that has always intrigued me but I've never gotten to--they also always have this adorable hound dog on the front porch. Well, the proprietess was W-E-I-R-D, and the stuff would have been cool if she would have let me look....and upon leaving, I noted that in the dog's bowl was red Coolaid. So, um...yeah. W-E-I-R-D. So, I thought I'd quit while I was ahead :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, always quit while you're ahead. Red Kool Aid.....isn't that what those crazy cult people drank? I haven't trusted red Kool Aid since then.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh. I hadn't thought of that. I simply thought...."in light of his owner, this makes total sense."

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile
At St. Vincent I also saw what I thought might make great broom skirts (for my actual corn broom), but I think they may have been geese clothes....still not sure, but there was a yellow gingham one with sunny yellow ribbons and lace that I might go back and get, geese dress or NO!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I can walk to a St. Vincent store on my lunch, too. Does yours have daily specials? And on Wednesday, old people like myself get 10%off. I think you should get the broom skirt. I won't tell the geese! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Alright, you twisted my arm. I will get the geese dress, um, I mean broom skirt. It looks just like the one in Mary Jane's Idea book only in sunny gingham!!!

Old people like yourself...scof! They do give 10% off to ACTUAL OLD people, Janice....todays special was 50% off glass vases (from all the flower shops :))

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Geese clothes? What?! Maybe I need to drink the Kool Aid...

I went to a used bookstore once where the owner stalked me through the shelves the whole time, and when I went to ring up my purchase, he told me that he'd known I was a worthless person as soon as I came in. Makes you wonder how some people stay in business.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a John Waters film to me
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Ha! It was (and is) something that I see periodically around this area....was more of a "fad" a few years back. My Aunt Bernie has 3 cement painted geese that she dresses to the 9's almost monthly, for every holiday and season.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, and with HATS! They always have bonnets!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  4:30:26 PM  Show Profile
You know...this thread is one of those "don't start reading in the middle" sorts...I mean, red Kool Aid, Geese clothes and hats...ummmm... :D

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  5:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I remember now that I've seen people talking about the dress up geese before. Must have been you.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cool Find at the Thrift on my lunch hour!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page