UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  09:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Well now that easter is over I ended up with a new chicken. I work for a Vet that sees chickens as a part of our exotics so every now and then we see people with "pet" chickens come in for care. Well this guy comes in on my day off and tells the doctor that he has a chicken he would like to euthanize. The vet takes a look at it and it's thin but otherwise healthy and asked why. His daughter got it as an easter gift from an oddball aunt and he dosen't want a chicken in the house. They live in the city and he has no desire to keep one so could she just euthanize it. She said sure and he left the chicken at the hospital. She then called me and said come and get my new chicken. I get there and it's the cutest black silkie hen I've ever seen. She is definately thin, I don't think they fed her but she is doing better everyday. She won't eat the chick feed I purchased for her but she will eat scratch. I'm trying to wean her off the scratch so she can get some good food in her. I briefly introduced her to the other "girls" and they tried to kill her so my husband is going to build her a smaller 2 hen coop with a run to put next to the big girls coop. I really hate it when people bring perfectly good animals to the vet to euthanize just because they are tired of caring for them. That's how I got my ferret years ago. I think I accumulate so many animals because my boss and I just can't let people kill them when ever they want, and she doesn't want to send them away so they can get another vet to kill them. So we end up with them.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  10:20:36 AM  Show Profile
that is so sad. glad you gave it a home, and I hope it thrives for you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  6:55:38 PM  Show Profile
I agree. Geez, that is such a shame, I've worked at a vet's too, and people used to come in wanting to euthanize perfectly good animals, even dogs and cats! Mostly, they'd say the animal was the problem, but often, it was the other way around; the person was the problem, and it was just more convenient to "get rid" of the animal.

I remember once someone came in with a perfectly rambunctious German shepherd mix puppy. Cute, but she said she got the dog from a Craigslist ad, and the ad said the dog was trained. She had the thing two weeks and realized the dog knew "sit" and that's all it knew. Probably, the person giving the dog away BARELY trained it, nevertheless, she decided the SOLUTION was to euthanize it! The vet that saw the dog was like: "well, did you try training it yourself?" And the girl just stared stupidly at him and said "well, the ad said it IS already SUPPOSED to be trained, so why should I train it?"

And this was her reason for putting the puppy to sleep. The vet told her to leave the dog with her, but told her she'd find the dog another home. The girl just left, not saying thank you or anything.

So, I get how some people are, really, they could care less about the animals they have, and really, they should never have had them to begin with.
Good for you for taking birdie in!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  7:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like an adorable little thing...just ONE more reason why people shouldn't buy animals of any kind as gifts--no easter, no christmas....

Two years ago, someone abandoned 2 young ducklings in my mother's front yard. She lives near a creek....but not THAT near. So, I took them to the vet, made sure that they were healthy and then took them to a FAR away pond on his advice. I go back quarterly to see how they've faired...initially, they had a bit of a struggle to fit in, but now they're members....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  03:32:11 AM  Show Profile
I wish people would think about the long term rammifications of thier actions especially when it comes to live animals

My husband's sister has a pup with mange all over its face. Poor baby

They don't know what caused it and don't have $$ for vet bills

They also have 2 other dogs and I could almost guarantee none have their shots--including Rabies

Poor chickie I'd have taken her too to add in w/ my other silkies
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Easter is over Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page