Page: of 2

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  10:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone else her really inspired by the Amish? Not that I necessarily believe all the religious beliefs they have but how they live really plain and simple. They are not afraid to do hard work, most used to have farms (more and more are turning to working in the cities due to they don't make enough as farmers anymore, that's sad ). I just think they are a truly wonderful and inspirational group of people. Part of their religion is that they don't get all caught up in material items and I think that's wonderful. And those gals can cook can't they???

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  5:37:05 PM  Show Profile
I know, this is not the reading room site, but may suggest the book "Plain and Simple" by Sue Bender? I read it a few years ago and found it really helpfull in learning more about the Amish, since it describes a "regular" woman's experiences while spending an extent of time with an Amish family.
Here is the link to the book through amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0062501860/qid=1126571349/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-5520009-9480609?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
I also read "Everyday Sacred" by the same author. That one is dealing more with her personal journey, not so much with the Amish culture and life.
I became interested in the Amish when I started to learn to quilt and after a few travels to the Lancaster County Amish.
There is also a book out there called "After the Fire" which deals with their struggle for survival in a sometimes hostile environment/community. I forgot who the author is...??? Fascinating read though!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  5:55:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow thanks!! I'll have to check those out. I just bought a book called The Amish Cook. It has recipes from one Amish family and the author tells about her family growing up. Very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Klara..I have read the books you recomended..all were really good. I am intriged and inspired by the Amish too. I have alot of books and cookbooks by and about them and love them all. I don't mean the religious part of it either..but the lifestyle..I love that.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  06:22:38 AM  Show Profile
I think the Amish lifestyle (if you can call it that) is so close to our farmgirls hearts, because it is as "down to earth" as you can get.
Sustainability, selfsufficiency, respectful treatment of nature, responsibility to the earth as a whole and to future generations, maintenance of culture and history,...it's all there!
And isn't that more or less what "we farmgirls" are promoting and would like to live in a form and shape that is possible to us?
On another thought: could it be that we admire the lifestyle and are not so much interested in the religion is due to us liking the "freedom" that goes with less restrictions in personal behavior, family structure, self-adornment and -display, etc.,etc. Cause, really, they are just very tradidional Christians ("religiously"). No polygamy, secticism, whatever.....(?????)
I used to think: how ironic that this people fled from religious prosecution to end up in a country that turned out to develop one of the most "disposable" cultures in history!
Now they have religious freedom while struggling harder than ever to defend their lifestyle against the "I use it and when I used it to death and it's done serving me I throw it out the window into my neighbor's yard"Mentality of the majority of their surroundings. (my humble oppinion)

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  07:48:10 AM  Show Profile
I too am inspired by the Amish and I loved Plain & Simple. Beverly Lewis writes nice novels based in an Amish Community. There are a series of them I have been reading while here in Kansas.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  08:21:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes I think it is for the most part how we 'farmgirls' want to live as well. I would LOVE to get the chance to live with an Amish family for say a month or two and really see how they accomplish everything that they do. DH has the same feelings but says 'how would you deal without electricity, water, etc.?' I say for the first couple days it may take some getting used to but they seem to manage just fine. Right now I have just the one cookbook but would love to get some more. They are such an awesome group of people.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  09:15:45 AM  Show Profile
I really really would love to live their lifestyle.
I tease DH, that if I ever "run off" it'll be with a Amish man!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Anyone remember the movie "Witness"? Oh, how I wished that Harrison Ford would have stayed and turned Amish!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I always wished that too jpbluesky! It made me so mad that he left.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  3:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Did ya'll watch For "Richer or Poorer" with Tim Allen & Kirstie Allen?
I realy liked that movie!!!
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  3:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Bridge,
I enjoyed Richer or Poorer, too. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Jane

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." ~ Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  4:05:17 PM  Show Profile
that WAS funny!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I liked that movie too. Pretty funny!!! Haven't seen it in a while...may have to go rent it soon.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  8:00:49 PM  Show Profile
I, too, have an interest in things Amish. It began about 25 years ago when I found a book on them at a yard sale. (I find everything at yard sales!)
Then about a year ago I came across another book, it was on the sale rack at Hasting's book store. So I bought it. It is called "Out of the Past, Amish Tradition and Faith." The next day my Dh and I made a trip from here in No. Idaho to Ft. Lewis, Wash. where my daughter lived at that time. It is about a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive. I started reading the book at the beginning of the trip while Dh drove the car. I read most of it outloud so he could learn too, whether he wanted to or not. :) Before I knew it we were at our destination. It was an interesting and fun read. This book explained all of the different sects of Amish and there are tons of photos...yes photos (as you know they do not care for this practice). This was my favorite part. It is written by Mary Ann McDonald, who has Mennonite ancestry and an understanding of the Amish people.
I would recommend this book.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  05:17:33 AM  Show Profile
I admire the Amish very much. I think it takes a lot to be different in this world, it's not easy.

For Richer or Poorer was an entertaining movie but inaccurate in a few places, same with Witness. I think the Amish have been misrepresented and misunderstood for a long time.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm surprised my mom hasn't replied to this thread yet... Her grandmother (my great grandmother) is Amish. Mom's parents live reaaaally near a large Amish community in Indiana, and that was always a major part of visits to my Grandmother's house when I was a kid. We'd go into town & shop a while, and have the BEST pies ever at Yoders. I do love good Amish cooking!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Great cookbook: "Cooking From Quilt Country Hearty Recipes From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens" by Marcia Adams
I borrowed it from a friend and ended up wanting to copy about half the recipes before deciding to just go buy it!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
My family on my mother's side are Mennonites and Amish. Her last name is(was) Schlabach and her immediate family are Mennoite - and as the line continues the relatives are Amish. Her Mennonite Uncle always took a trip once a year to visit the Amish relatives. Wishing now that we had joined him on a few of those trips before he passed away.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:24:27 AM  Show Profile
I think that would be a cool thing...having Amish or Mennonite relatives...I can imagine the questions I would have for them and things to learn from them!
I love that cookbook too..one of my alltime favorites!!

Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 14 2005 11:59:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:31:38 AM  Show Profile
I have Marcia Adams cookbooks alos. She used to have a tv program on PBS. She has the best pie crust recipe, 'pat in the pan piecrust" it is sooooo simple.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh, I love Marcia Adams! My mom's been using her cookbooks for years, and I've been lusting after them for years too. I've got quite a few in my amazon.com wishlist, too. They're even fun just to read, and to get lost in the photographs.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1838 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1838 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:14:13 AM  Show Profile
We have an amish town about an hours drive Kalona, IA. They have a wonderful little wholesale store with bulk goods and bakery and fresh veggies and fruits. They are very polite anf friendly. Many drive a horse and buggy which I think would be difficult to do as we have to have more patience in getting somewhere. I think living without electricity would be difficult also. There life is simple and they do not seem to need the modern clothes, and conveniences we all spend a lot of money to have. I am not sure a modern woman would be able to cope with the strictness of the rules. Also my understanding is they do not educate children beyond 8th grade. I may be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  1:03:29 PM  Show Profile
You are correct, they normally do not educate beyond the 8th grade.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  3:28:45 PM  Show Profile
I am just amazed, thrilled, I don't know what - about this group of people - not just the Amish - US!! I recognize several of the names that I've "talked" to in the past couple of days in other areas of the Connection - more modern movies, books, etc., yet here we are, all interested in the Amish way also. I guess I'm not the odd man out I always thought. I do have a best friend, from childhood, and we share all these varied interests - I just had no idea anyone else did! I have loved the Amish all my life, I guess, their way of life - I don't really know all that much about their spirituality. I'm very firm in my own Christian faith, but the simplicity of their life and the fact that they're different from "most" - I'm just interested. Does anyone have more movies or books to recommend - I've seen Witness and For Richer or Poorer - but seems like there are some others, maybe made for TV that I've seen long ago and would like to see again. I'm writing down every book and author I come across in the whole Connection! I'm so glad to be part of this...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Plain Truth..it is a great book and a lifetime tv movie...liked it...a drama...but good!! set in Amish country...a mystery...I really recomend it. Saw the movie much after reading the book...book is always better of course..but worth seeing the movie too.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Amish Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page