Page: of 2

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  05:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it would be difficult to live without electricity if you have never had it. If it were suddenly taken away and I was left to figure things out, then it would be really hard. It amazes me that we have managed without electricity for thousands of years now we can't live without it. Kwim?

John A. Hostetler has written some books about the Amish. There is a video called "The Amish - A people of preservation" I recommend it.

You have to check out Bill Coleman's photography!!! http://www.amishphoto.com/

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  05:42:15 AM  Show Profile
From what I understand, the Amish faith is an offshoot of the Reformed movement and is 'related' in that sense to Baptist and Lutheran faiths. They are considered a Christian faith, and they follow closely the tenets of the Bible. They are opposed to war and violence and bound together by faith and family -- certainly to be admired and emulated in many ways.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  06:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Margret, Thank you for sharing that link - the photos are absoultely gorgeous!!!! Just makes me want to step into all those pictures!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:17:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh..thanks for the link..I could look at those pictures for hours. I LOVED the ones of the children..and the cows of course..thanks! They are sure in inspiration!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  06:32:02 AM  Show Profile

Some books that I have read that are very good:

Rosanna of the Amish and Rosanna's Boys by Joseph Warren Yoder.
Amish Society by John A. Hostetler

Movies/clips:

The Devil's Playground
(Info from NPR)
http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/may/amish/

And best of all, here is an amazing site I ran across:

http://www.allamish.com/abouttheamish.shtml

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  07:50:58 AM  Show Profile
I love the Amish ways! I'd like to see the world get back to that style of living, and I strive to learn more old style crafts, etc. Other than the computer, I could do just fine without electricity. I use wall sconces and candle chandeliers (thanks to Barnabus Collins :) and watch VERY little TV. But I think finishing up the roof on the barn might be cumbersome without our rechargeable drill!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  07:54:17 AM  Show Profile
I am VERY interested in the Amish and their way of life. Here there are no books at all about them duh. When I was in the USA my BFF and her hubby and I went to Pennsylvania to have a look around "Amish area" if you can call it that. We came by an old tobacco farm and made many pictures of the area etc. SO interesting!!
LOVE to read and know more about them though. SO thanks for the link am going to check that out at once :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  09:36:41 AM  Show Profile
In the past two years, there have been around 15 - 20 Amish families move into our neighborhood (5 miles in all directions from our farm). I have watched them all build beautiful simple homes and barns and I love to hear the clop clop of their horses hooves on the road when they travel around. They sell all kinds of things, from baskets and baked goods to animal feed and plant starts. They came from places where they couldn't afford the property taxes any longer. I love that they are moving here and adding so much to our community.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Amish Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page