mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  06:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
I have been off for a while-too much going on to say. I finally feel like the fog might be going away and maybe I can be me again. I was suppose to mail out some magazines to people months ago and I still plan on doing that-sorry for the delay. It will be like a surprise!!

My 20 yo daughter just told me she is expecting. Not quite the way the I planned but I am warming to the idea. Now for the question. My kids always wore cloth diapers with pins and plastic pants. I see now they have cloth ones with Velcro that work just like disposable. They cost a ton. So, what did all you young Moms do? I thought I read once someone on here made the wraps. if you bought them, what kind did you buy and if you made them..how??
Thanks for any help.
Merle

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  07:21:01 AM  Show Profile
My dd uses Fuzzibunz -they are AMAZING!!!! Very pricey,but worth it! We Grandmas and friends gifted her with a bunch for her shower and she's on bb girl 3 and they are still in great shape! Oh! Her girls never had diaper rashes!!! congrats and hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Merle!

I will bump a few threads for you about cloth diapers that might help to answer some of your questions. Some will be under "Make it Easy" and some will be under "Parenting and Farm Kids". But for a few quick answers:

You can make what are called "All-in-ones" at home with a simple sewing machine. Or you can make ones that need a wrap as well. Mamabird has a great pattern found here:
http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/Diapers.html

Cloth diapers seem expensive at first, but when you realize you just was the same 1-2 dozen over and over again, whereas that package of disposables is gone and you have to buy more. We have spent less than $200 to diaper Nora for the first year of her life and we are set with diapers for months and months ahead. Some of the stats that I have read say to expect to pay more than $2,000 for just the first year of the baby's life if you use disposables.

Congrats on the new baby! Also if you need help making the diapers, feel free to email me and I would love to help.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  07:32:07 AM  Show Profile
http://diaperpin.com/home.asp

Hi! I have been cloth diapering my son for a couple months and LOVE it! I just use prefolds and either fleece covers or Thirsties brand covers. For the prefolds, I haven't mastered usung pins yet so I use a Snappi, which is a stretchy Y-shaped thing with little claws on the end. The link above to the Diaper Pin website should be helpful, it was for me anyway. You can look at other mama's reviews of all kinds of diapers and where to find them. I also have one All-in-One diaper like what you are talking about. It is a BumGenius brand and works really well. I think it cost about $15. Since I stay at home with my son, I usually just use the prefolds because they are easy for me and a cinch to wash and dry. The all-in-one is more for when my husband changes him, because it is just like a disposable. There are lots of mamas on here that are much more experienced than me, so hopefully you'll get the answers you need!

Good luck and congratulations!!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  08:13:59 AM  Show Profile
I was very fortunate that I bartered for 48 (24 med/24lg) fitted diapers with velcro closures from Under the Nile. Organic cotton. I love them. I use wool soakers, prowraps and sometimes plastic pants..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  09:14:39 AM  Show Profile
I use FuzziBuns too but they were given to me. I don't know that I'd buy them!

The Gerber prefolds at Target are very inexpensive.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  11:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bumped quite a few topics in the parenting and kids section! I hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Diapers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page