Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buying in Bulk.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  4:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
As mentioned in a previous thread, I do a MAJOR shopping trip 2 times a year to cut down on costs, save gas, more time, better organization. It takes me about a 1 week to completely get everthing. I go in the Fall and Spring. My next trip will be in Texas once we get there. We finally have an extra closet, so I am going to use half a bulk storage, half for hubby's uniforms.

I basically just walk around the house making a list, then breakdown those down into food and personal, then where I am buying the stuff, whether store bought, Craigslist, thrift or even in trade. I also pick up the Sunday papers and do a dry "cost" run, to see about how much I will be spending vs. what I have in the budget and trim in necessary. I swear, it makes my life so much easier having things on hand.

Does anyone do this?

I will post my lists later.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  8:27:22 PM  Show Profile
I do stock up...adding things all the time, but don't do it only twice a year. WOW!! I love having things on hand...like my own little store to shop in. I try to rotate everything and stay stocked. It has helped so much so many times when we needed it on hand that I don't plan to ever stop.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  8:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
With college, hubby deploying, sole caretaker of the house and kiddo and doggo, it helps to be prepared for me. Less to worry about. I slowly started with having a 3 month supply, then 4 and so on. It really has shown in the $$$ catergory and I am not running around for no reason to buy tampons or something silly I ran out of. Just takes a little planning and like I said, it takes me a WHOLE week to get everything and get it organized.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile
I do buy in bulk but I do shop more than twice a year. I separate big bulk items and put them in containers/bags. I have lots of mason jars that I store things in like beans...oats....macaroni...etc. I agree with you in that it saves time and money and gas and all that other expensive stuff! I am an avid coupon clipper and am always looking for ways to find the items on sale already plus use the coupon. This is great! Susan
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  12:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I must clarify, I buy fresh about every 7-9 days.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt B
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Terri
Chillicothe OH
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  03:29:27 AM  Show Profile
We buy a lot in bulk, then divide it into smaller packages, jars, containers, freeze some of it. When we lived in Phoenix, we bought in bulk and divided the cost and the items with friends.

Aunt B
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.blogspot.com
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buying in Bulk.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page