farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  5:08:07 PM  Show Profile
My Boys, 11 and 9 are interested in fishing. I was wondering if you have any tips or tricks when it comes to fishing and the kiddos. I don't have much experience. My 11 year old handed me a list a minute ago it says:

List
1. Fish
2. Fish
3. Fish
4. Fish
5. Fish
6. Fish
7. fish

Whew! I guess I only have to take him 7 times. I hope he doesn't mean for a week. Anywho, I googled but didn't find and really good tips. ANything you have will be much appreciated!

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  6:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I always had a hand picked "stick" with a string and we use bacon as bait...and it actually worked!! We would talk about the water, water safety, animals we see, colors, ect.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  6:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Okay..I have three (YEP 3!!) 11 year olds and a 13 year old right now. My first tip...teach them to cast..even if you do nothing but that for the first two times you go fishing. TEACH them to cast. Otherwise you spend all the time casting for them and baiting hooks and taking fish off the hooks and never get to fish for yourself. CAn you tell I love to fish???? The kids and I go alot in the summertime. I can hardly wait to get started. Isnt' dry enough here yet...still snow around things..and mud that will suck you deep...so we will have to wait a little longer. Fishing is one of our favorite things. Oh...teach them to clean fish too. I never managed that (me with 7 kids!!!) and I always have to clean them all. But they are all good at casting their own lines!!
I always start my kids with push button reels first...and keep them with those until they think they can handle a flip type reel. less tangles.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  8:02:15 PM  Show Profile
ok, good! Sounds good. Thank you girls! The tangled lines, that's right, I remember that about fishing, lots of tangled lines. And bacon, really? Wow, never would of though of that, thanks Heather.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  8:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I used raw bacon because I couldn't kill the little worms!!! If you let it dangle, it looks wormy!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  10:06:29 PM  Show Profile
I bet that would work! We do use worms (dug from our compost if we can), and those smelly awful salmon eggs too (I think they are fake) and the even smellier power bait. You never know which will work best. I do have one son who could catch a fish with a piece of cookie....he is still a great fisherman and is nearly 28 now!
Oh...always take babywipes along. Always.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile
I'll totally second Jenny's suggestions to perfect casting before you go. . .and in the YARD--with no hook, just a bobber or light weight--it is so much more fun after that is mastered! It gets frustrating for you and them if they just keep plopping a foot from shore. Then the hook and etc are just an extension of what they've already learned. And as far as bait. . .I'll always swear by worms.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  10:07:43 PM  Show Profile
My best friend and I take our girls fishing at a little spot by their cabin. We call it the honey hole. We use wax worms.
We always bring a towel along to help grab the fish while you dis-hook it. They probably catch the same three sunnies, but they love it and think they are catching a sword fish.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Fishing and kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page