Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Feeling trapped...do you ever??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Feeling trapped...do you ever?? Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  06:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Long story short, I just found out that driving jobs may be harder to come by and now our dispatcher wants us to stay out longer and do more. I've always felt that I can come and go as I please, as long as I do a good job, and can go to better jobs if I like. I can take off when I want for as long as I want but now things are changing and the company is putting controls in place to synchronize all the drivers and that makes me feel trapped.

We got a place and I bought my horse and my hubby wants to hunt and now the company wants us to drive more. They do have part time drivers and I'm thinking I might try that for a while, something different and I'd have more of a balanced life.

But I'm feeling trapped and it's kind of scary.

How do you handle change that unsettles you?? I have to get on the road but I can read the responses on my cell phone, just can't reply till I get to another wifi spot.

Winona

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  07:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Winona- first (((HUGS))), second, I have been face with many great challenges in my life. I think if you keep this all in the positive light, something will give for the good. Can you find something part time or even full time that is not so mobile? Even working as a housekeeper or walking/watching dogs could bring in some extra cash to build a safety net for you so won't have to work so much. Maybe it is time for a major change?

I am in the midst of many major changes in my life. I am learning to do what I can today and the rest will fall into place.

Best of luck!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  07:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I hope that you can find a balance in working when you want and taking off when you want ... is there a way that you can schedule more "part-time" jobs or, lumping together a lot of short trips part of the month vs. fewer long trips spread out through the whole month? I can only imagine the fuel costs are driving your employer to try and consolidate trips.

As far as "handling change that unsettles you" - I don't like change, either! I suppose that the best thing is to try and find a solution that makes you happy...and thinking outside the box (farmgirls are going to give you lots of different and inventice ways to make this work out).

Do you have enough seniority with your company to get your preferred routes? And to show that you are asking for solutions that will benefit the company as well as yourself (pointing out cost savings in your request). It might be good for you to suggest your preferences to the company BEFORE they come out with a fixed schedule that you cannot do anything about later.

Wishing you luck with this...

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  08:49:03 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I do feel trapped, very much so, and I work myself into a tizzy, but then when I can think straight again, I start to think of some options, including any off-the-wall options that might come to mind. Out of that, maybe out of the half a dozen options, one might be a really doable one that I can realistically pursue or even just put in my back pocket so that I can feel some peace of mind knowing it's there.

I wish you the best. It's a bad feeling, I know.

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings

And my latest amusement: http://foundmuseum.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile
I look for change, I think it's healthier to accept and accomodate it rather than fight it! It's important that you look for ways to challenge yourself, otherwise you begin to fear the new and unexpected.

You can taken on any new challenge, forge out and greet it.

jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  2:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Winona,
Hugs, I know how it feels to be trapped in a job. I hate my job and I work full time and I don't want to but I can't afford not to. We have a farm and my job pays the bills. I am working hard to pay off all my debt so I can cut my hours down or get a job that pays less but one that isn't so stressful. I made a plan and it isn't so unbearable as long as I know it isn't forever and I am not really trapped. I just have to learn also to stop buying animals. HEHE, I do love my new horse though. He is coming along great. I just can't wait to get him home. Good luck and the other ladies have some good ideas also.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  1:38:39 PM  Show Profile
THanks for the replies! We have been talking and brain-storming and it may be that the part time driving may be the ticket for a while. Our bank account is going to suffer a bit what good will having big money if we get sick or die from stress?? So, we are the type of people who usually need a kick in the pants to make us DO something and this may be it, at least I feel so anyway.

Thanks for the support again. This site is so great for that!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  12:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Winona...well, if you are doing it part time, you might also find some other "part time" work or hobby that pays the rest of the bills, that you can do with the free time. There are many options, and you won't feel so bad when doing them. Many blessings and much luck :D

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Feeling trapped...do you ever?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly