Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Non-dairy substitute for margarine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Non-dairy substitute for margarine? Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  06:53:52 AM  Show Profile
I want to stop eating margarine, but I keep kosher, so I can't just substitute butter for recipes that I want to be non-dairy. Can any farm girls help me with how much oil/water to substitute in a cake recipe for margarine?

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Applesauce can also be substituted for oil or margarine in most cake recipes. With applesauce (and I'm assuming for oil as well), it's a straight substitution - a 1/2 cup for a 1/2 cup, for example.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile
If the trans fats in margarine are what's encouraging you to change, there are products like Smart Balance that work and taste just like margarine but are trans fat free.

I like the applesauce thing, though. Can it be substituted in bread as well?
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  08:23:30 AM  Show Profile
No and no. I don't want to use applesauce, since I'm not looking to cut fat. And smart balance is still margarine. I'm looking to free myself from margarine entirely.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Sorry.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  11:10:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure there's some soy substitute...just do an internet search.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  8:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I keep kosher too!

And I don't eat margarine, or any oil that isn't a "whole food".

So when I need a pareve oil that is solid at room temperature I use coconut oil. DELICIOUS! Brownies and pie crusts and cakes all come out beautifully.

But when I am feeling decadent and preparing meat dishes I use rendered beef fat (suet) which I render myself in my slow cooker. My kosher butcher sells me fat at $0.50 a pound, and I get about 3 quarts of fat off of 10 pounds of beef. Swoon. Perfect for french fries or frying chicken or frying egg rolls or in pie-like crusts to be used in meat dishes.

So the oils I use are:
Dairy: Butter
Pareve: Coconut (solid), Peanut and Olive (liquid)
Fleishig: Beef Suet

And that's it. Except for every once in awhile when I'll splurge on walnut for baking/salad dressing.

Good luck!

Robin
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile
I used to work in a scratch bakery, we used soy margarine for frosting on Non-Dairy cakes. We used canola for the fat in the cake. There are web pages that will show you how much olive oil/canola to use in baking.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  1:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow...I hadn't thought about coconut oil, Robin. Does it have a strong taste? That's a great idea. Does it substitute directly one for one with margarine?

BTW, I use rendered chicken fat a lot to cook fleishigs. I skin all my chicken and then render the schmaltz. I still use crisco occasionally, since it doesn't have trans fats anymore (or at least not as many), but I think I can phase that out instead and use coconut oil or vegetable oil.
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  4:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Amanda,

I don't like seed oils or mixed vegetable oils (with heavy soy) because of the high omega 6's. After reading "Real Food: What to Eat and Why" I definitely took off on the Omega 3 kick -- I'd already phased out the trans-fats a couple of years ago, thank goodness. So now I try not to use "new" fats (canola, saffola, soy, etc.).

Anyway, schmaltz is GREAT. Very yum and high in O-3s.

The coconut oil does have a strong taste. Extra virgin coconut oil has a VERY strong taste and should be used only where a taste is desired (makes terrific carrot/squash/sweet potato/noodle kugels). The non-extra virgin kind (still not hydrogenated or heavily processed) has a milder taste. I can still detect it, but that may be because I know it's in there. My mother-in-law who "hates coconut" demolished two pieces of cherry pie and declared it delicious without noticing the taste of coconut. It's definitely worth a try to see how your family reacts.

Use coconut oil 1-1 in baking recipes where margarine is called for. And if you pop popcorn on the stovetop use it for WONDERFUL popcorn instead of vegetable oil.

Interestingly, before the heavy use of trans-fats the bakery industry relied heavily on coconut oil for baking shelf-stable products. They may have used a more processed version, or their customers just adjusted to the taste.

Best,

Robin

Edited by - tziporra on Mar 21 2008 4:51:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  09:42:56 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer,

I've used applesauce, too, and it is delicious in cakes and such, isn't it?? :)

Coconut oil works wonders at everything, though. My favorite oil to use to substitute butter or margarine. And as long as it's unrefined, it's healthy, as far as oils go.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Non-dairy substitute for margarine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page