Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Could society as a whole live like this...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Could society as a whole live like this... Next Topic
Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  08:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We all hear about the economic doom and gloom and I, myself, have been trying to figure out ways to make cut back here and there and I found some interesting information. (based on the years between 1940's-1950's)

1) The average woman owned just over 40 pieces of clothing, this included jackets, tops and bottoms and undergarments along with things like hats, gloves, scarves and averaged around 3-4 pairs of shoes.

2) Then, average washing machine lasted 20+ years, now, people upgrade very 5-7 years (not that the old machine is not working) and even with the energy efficient one's still working. YIKES!!!

3) Asked today, a woman in her 20's never had a mom who hung laundry on a weekly basis. They never lived with a clothesline in use.

4) In the advent of microwave ovens, the average waistline has expanded 5 INCHES!! (All the pre-packaged, processed food)

5) Most people cannot even do basic tasks such as sewing on a button, hanging clothes on a line, making basic food from scratch (exception is us farmgirls), gardening, and things of that nature.

6) Most younger people cannot make change. (I find this one really sad)

7) If everyone alive today (over the age of 18) donated just one bag of rice or one school uniform, we could literally wipe out hunger and allow children to go to school properly clothed across the world.

There were a lot more but I was thinking about it and what impact I am making on Charlie and his future world. I am setting out to do better!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile
Heather most of us growing up on a farm can survive, I mean old ones like me Ha, But we grew up surviving so even though it would be hard we could,You are right a lot of kids cant count change So where did the better education help, Perhaps they should put a counting devise on the remote controls

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  09:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know that farmgirls are a huge exception to the rule- just shows that we need to spread the word about MJF! LOL

Lets see:
1) I probably have about 100 items of clothes, but only have about 3 pairs of shoes.
2) I haven't bought a washing machine yet as I rent, but I plan on using it until it dies!
3) We didn't hang laundry on a line growing up, but we sure did use drying racks!
4) We mostly use the microwave to re-heat homemade food or to quickly warm milk for Nora.
5) Let's hear it for gardening and sewing! :D I LOVE these tasks!
6) Luckily our school system required us to learn to make change. When I worked in fast food it would shock people when I counted back change properly as in "Your total is $5, you gave me 10 so your change is $5(total) 6, 7, 8, 9, and $10."

What a great post Heather! It really gets me thinking about what values I want to teach Nora and any future babies (boys and girls!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Seriously, the other day, we paid for something with cash and our total was something odd like $3.81 or something and the young lady could not count back the change nor even knew how much to give us. SCARY!!

I do have a lot of clothes but I tend to go in spurts and then were the heck out of everything and recycle it all into some sort of craft or giving the good stuff away.

Can you imagine if everyone just did a basic garden, say of tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, carrots and herbs the impact it would have? AH!!! The possibilities!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile
My son works fast food, and I made him count change back to me so he knew how to do it at work.
I had to learn from my Grandfather when I worked for him when I was younger. We weren't allowed to use calculators. It is a life skill.
Geez, these kids wouldn't know if they are being cheated when change is given back to them.

I used to be a huge clothes horse. Over the past five years I have given about 80% of it away, and I keep thinning out the herd every so often. The more I get rid of, the more free I feel.
I usually end up wearing kahki style pants, and sweater sets to work.
I have probably eight pairs of shoes. Three of which are Doc Martin's, so I will wear them forever until they wear out.

My washer, I am using it until it dies. I use all appliances until they die.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  12:35:50 PM  Show Profile
The state of this country is sad. One of the first things I taught my sister when she was a teen was to count change back. It's a pet peeve of mine to be handed back a lump of dollars and coins from a clerk that says, "here's your change."
I use my microwave ONLY to melt my moustache wax, (waxing, not for a handlebar moustache.) TMI?
We didn't get a clothes dryer until I was in high school. We had indoor clotheslines, since we lived in Oregon.
I have to admit that I do have tons of clothes, but they are in all differnt sizes. OOps :( And are from when I had to dress up for work. I am tempted to make yo yos out of them anyway! Now that I am a SAHM, I have one pair of jeans that I wear, since I only leave the house about once a week. The older that baby gets, the more I realize that I need less for him too. We don't do daycare, so we really only need one or two outfits for going out that aren't pj's or sweat pants. I found onesie extenders on ebay, and that helps.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  12:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Patricia- My son is in daycare while I am in school and I keep his outfits simple.Shorts, Khackis or jeans for pants and basic t-shirts, short and long, that can be layered. I have a 4 button down shirts for "special" occasions or church. He wear sneaks in the winter or boots for rainy days or else it is sandals.

I wear a lot of tanks and shorts with sandals (Texas is very HOT!!!) or I wear cool cotton easy slip dresses. Or I do t-shirts with capri's and I do have some nice jeans. Everything is interchangable!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  1:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I don't own anywhere near 40 pieces of clothing. I have two pairs of jeans, a pair of bibs that are all ripped up that I garden in, and a pair of black knit pants. Then, some tops to go with them, one skirt, one dress, a jean jacket, and a long black coat. Oh and I have a set of sweats too. Maybe 30 items tops. I really hate clothes shopping and only buy something when I absolutely have to. I recycle all my worn out clothes to the cabin because they take a beating over there! I have always suspected I was clothing challenged, but I guess this just shows that I've been living in a different era!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  1:13:57 PM  Show Profile
I do have a lot of clothes and shoes but I dont buy very many, my daughter has always worked public work and dressed nice so she gives me lots Clothes are something that have never been very important to me I like my jeans

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  1:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am right there with you Ms. Wilma on the jeans. I don't frequent too many (if any) fancy places, so jeans seems to work out fine. When I retire, I plan on never wearing anything fancy again. I will be at the beach, hopefully just wearing a bathing suit and a big old sun hat and sunglasses.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  1:41:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I can fit "all" our clothing and shoes into one closet. What's that tell ya? I hang laundry outside on the line or in here on my wonderful Amish made drying racks. I can only wear one pair of shoes at a time....hence, maybe three pairs for me! We have a very nice second hand furniture store right down the road from our home and I went in there to get one of my grandsons a little bed. NOw, this was a very amicable conversation with the salesgirl but it got me to thinking about how she responded to me.

Her: Okay, maam. That will be $60.00. What card will you be using today?
Me: No card. I have cash.
Her: What?
Me: I have cash. Why? Does cash work here?
Her: Oh yes! Sure! It's just that no-one pays in cash anymore. You just surprised me is all!
Me: Sorry.

As you can see from her response this is really a card world! If we don't have the cash for something we usually just wait until we do. I think I really made her day last week! Susan

Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  1:59:57 PM  Show Profile
I went cold turkey years ago and stopped buying clothes, and have kept it up reasonably well. I do make some exceptions with pants for example, because pants wear out, but I still have a lot of the clothes from my pre-cold turkey days and I wear those. It's very liberating. To stop the shopping. And clothes cost a lot of money too!

I also use everything until it breaks, I never replace everything that works. My TV is at least 10 years old, etc.

I'm so happy to read that there are others out there who also don't feel the need to just consume, consume, consume... :)

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings

And my latest amusement: http://foundmuseum.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Yeah the card buiness is big but what happens when the bill is due and there is no money to pay it, Cards scare me to death

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  2:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Alright...I have lots of clothes, almost all purchased at consignment or thrift--but I do only have about 3 pair of shoes. I wear a size 5 and I simply can't find them locally, so I make do and wear them till they fall apart. A black sharpie marker works wonders for nicks on heels! I work in a nice law firm and I can't look like a hump, but I also don't believe in spending a ton of money for clothing so that's where consignment comes in. I love my jeans, too, and my clogs, but I like to dress up and love to get the chance to do so. Besides, noone knows I only paid $6.00 for a Givenchy dress or whatever.

We just got a washer and dryer and we've been married for 8 years. I always just went to the laundromat.

My poor mom is the one who couldn't sew a button or hem her slacks. Still is that way. I learned how to sew from my daddy, who made all my clothes when I was little.

We have a microwave, though, honestly I don't know why exactly. I don't really use it for anything that I can think of.

I got into a disagreement with an elderly checkout lady at Kohl's a few days ago, who insisted I sign up for their credit card to get 15% off the white undershirts I bought for Justin at $8.99--she simply would not take NO for an answer--it got pretty embarrassing (I realize they get incentives). I finally said, "Lady, I don't have any money. My husband doesn't have any money. You and your company are one of the reasons this country is in trouble--not EVERYONE wants or needs credit!!"

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Good for you Johnni- I had the same thing happen at Old Navy. Hubby needs some flip flops for deployment (they use them as shower shoes) and I paid cash. I was basically harassed at the check out because this week and THIS WEEK ONLY they were offering an extra 20% off if I opened an account. On $3 flip flops??? NO thanks!!! She was insistent too.

People baulk when I pay cash, especially if the amount is over $50. They can't understand!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  2:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Jonni!!!!!

Whenever a clerk tries to offer me their "savings", rather than argue, I just tell them I have one already, and it is paid off.
I have only had to be nasty once, and it was also at a kohl's before I did the have-one-it's-paid-off routine.
I told the lady if she didn't back off, I'd return the products I had just bought and go somewhere else. She was most persistant, and like you said, wouldn't take NO for an answer, up until then. I couldn't believe the nerve she had.
I worked retail at Dayton's (now Macy's) and at JC Penney's, and while they wanted us to open charge accounts, being rude and pushy would not have flown!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  4:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie good for you , proud of you little one

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  7:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Miss Wilma--you know me and my mouth! The little gal just wouldn't let up and I thought to myself, "geez louize! Like I NEED a credit card for these silly undershirts..." and when she wouldn't take no for an answer, I just let loose--things are getting better on our end, but the last thing on earth one needs is another credit card!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  03:43:38 AM  Show Profile
OH! Please tell me about the washing machine one! My mom's front loader indeed lasted over 20 years! We bought one one that strength which recently went in for repair a few weeks ago.

I about fell over when the repair guy suggested we just scrap the "old" one and buy new under a warranty. The machine was a 2000 model. Not THAT old! So rather than waste another 700.00, we opted for the fixed route and spent a paultry 300.00.

We are living in a 1940's style house that structurally is still pretty sound. True, I wish for extra space all the time, but am exceedingly grateful for a (non leaking ) roof over our heads. The house will be paid in full in 2 more years!

I adopt the "year rule". If it wasn't used in the course of a year- it goes to the thrift store. Same for clothing. I have way more than what is necessary, but am always downsizing.

Was appauled to know when a friend took her old digital camera to the thrift store how the person in the back just pocketed it right in front of her!

I'll drive my truck into the ground and then get the engine rebuilt

I have math problems and sadly can't make change in my head

How about penmenship? When was the last time any of us received a nice hand written note just to say hi? I can remember writing all night long in college. These days I get hand fatigue in just a few minutes! Do they still teach handwriting in school or is it all computer skills now?!

Thankfully all I cook is from scratch. (Except frozen pizzas---we live pretty far out from Pappa John's).

Happily there are still pockets of us gals to help carry on the traditions.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I am LOVING this post ladies!!! This is what I'm talking about. I still struggle because I was brought up with love and privilege....no not rich, but I honestly don't know what my family has. I just never had to DO or make DO....now I'm trying to do the independent thing. I live at home but pay all my bills. Family loves to take care of me I'm the only child and the only grandchild around, the other was killed and the other is kinda nasty because of his upbringing, but I come here to learn! I envy depression era people and wish there was a book on them. I am amazed with my grandparents and what they lived through and how they made do. I honestly fear society and money. I see it getting WORSE and worse. Like the price of flour, eggs, milk, staples that worry me. I also struggle with being 25 and a young 25 because of living at home but an old 25 because of not having the same needs or wants as others my age. I buy clothes but NEVER if ever pay retail.....clearance is my friend. I also love coupons and getting the most bang for my buck. I just love reading how you all live and what you do to live WELL:) Keep them coming I love learning from you all!!! xoxo Also gives me strength

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile
When I was growing up, my dad had us believing that we were the cool kids because we shopped at Goodwill, and could spend our money on travelling instead. He was right, because I was one of the only kids i ever knew that had been to 30+ states. At one point, in my late 20's I didn't buy any clothes that weren't from Goodwill, for well over a year. Then it was only from clearance racks after that. Beaverton, oR Goodwill on Cornell RD is the best I've ever been to. I bought art worth about $150+ for $15. I even found real coach handbags there. I will try not to get started on the status handbag thing. Most coach handbags are made in China now.
In Bonners Ferry, you are practically forced to go to thrift stores, since any variety of retail is 30 miles away.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  08:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I had started to go thrifting for goodies and clothes but some family said I'll give you money to get new clothes.....there are a few things I won't do...underwear, shoes because of hygiene and such. I buy "used" clothes on Ebay too. I don't care lemme wash in hot and I'm good to go. I hate spending money on things you throw away...toilet paper etc. Bugs me! I hate to spend on food too cause well you know where it goes..... lol I do have a fetish for purses designer mainly but I buy those used. I love luxury items when someone paid the retail hehe.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile
I was never taught to "make change" in school. Is it a special technique, or just mental arithmetic? I worked in retail from 1992-2002, and I only had to figure the change myself on rare occasions, like if the customer came up with some change after I had already completed the transaction on the register. I feel much more comfortable doing math on a scrap of paper, but it was never a big issue.

One day we had a power outage while I was at work (big thunderstorm) and we had to write up all transactions on paper receipt forms for the rest of the day. So it can be done! It's just a matter of habit.

As for the cards, I've gotten into the habit of using my debit card much more than cash. I don't like having a whole week's worth of cash in my wallet, and since my company requires our paychecks to be direct-deposited, I don't have any reason to make weekly trips to the bank. As long as you are living within your means, I don't think the format matters all that much.

But as recently as 2002, I know that at least half our retail transactions were still being done with cash. I could never assume what form of payment I was going to get. Things must have changed a lot just in the last few years.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  09:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Amie, I too was not TAUGHT how to make change. Fam tried to teach me but some reason it didn't click till later. I'm good at it, playing monopoly helped. I just still have trouble with people that give me change I punch it in then they change their minds and give me a diff amount like too much or so and it confuses me!

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  09:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Underwear and shoes I don't do used also, I guess I should of mentioned that so I don't seem like an icko. It has been an issue with MIL. SHe buys used onesies and shoes for the baby at Godwill. Sorry, no. I don't wear used undies, so neither should he. It turned into asking her if she wears Goodwill undies and shoes....no she doesn't. Now she doesn't send stuff anymore, oh well.
Bridget, you can get designer handbags on ebay for a lot less. there are internet pages to help spot fakes, and if you buy from a good seller with Paypal, you'd most likely be safe. I bough my best maternity clothes off of ebay. My only peeve with clothes off of ebay is that some sellers perfume them heavily,or put dryer sheets in the package, but I usually wash twice anyway. Maybe I was just over-sensitive from being prego. I wish I hated spending $$ on food. I am a total foodie.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile
I don't know why, but I got a giggle over the washing machine. I was thinking of the washboard being the one that lasted 20+ years. We've always used ours until they up and died and couldn't get repair or the repair cost more than a new one, but that was really rare to buy a new one. I'm in my 20s and my mom hung her clothes to dry outside in the summer time.

I can't imagine having that many pieces of clothing. I have 4 pairs of shoes that I wear regularly. My husband, yeah he has more shoes. I honestly need a pair of black dress shoes but have a hard time finding something that looks good on my feet and will fit.

Yep...I do have a microwave - guilty. And I use it sometimes.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Could society as a whole live like this... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page