Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 So what are you feeding your kids...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic So what are you feeding your kids... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
To drink?? I have been buying Juicy Juice and watering it down 3/4 water to 1/4 juice for Charlie along with milk at dinner time but prices are skyrocketing on juices. Any ideas that don't involve the chemical laden cheap alternatives?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora gets juice only as a treat, the rest of the time she gets water or milk. I don't want her to drink soda or any of the conventional sugary type drinks.

You could always make up some decaffeinated iced tea? I am not 100% sure which herbs are okay for kids, but perhaps a mild mint tea or chamomile tea with a touch of honey would be nice as well?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Good idea with the tea.. oh..maybe something peachy!!! I am going to try and supplement real fruit slushes this summer, hoping to get more good stuff into Charlie.
Thanks!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:37:23 PM  Show Profile
my kids drink water. they get a green smoothie twice a day- they drink 1-2 qts. all the greens give them the calcium they need. juicy juice and any other store bought juice is a waste of money and doing more harm than good.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:46:21 PM  Show Profile
My mom used to give us tea and toast for a snack when we were kids. My pediatrician said that it's ok if kids never have juice. I wasn't planning on it anyway, since there is the same amount of sugar in it as soda. I only drink it when I crave carrot-oj.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:47:24 PM  Show Profile
My girls just get milk or water. Sometimes we have apple juice here, but mostly only if someone has asked for it. Flavored water would be good too, I think. I don't buy sodas at all, simply because if they are here we all guzzle them down. Husband Dear and I drink tea, usually decaf, but always sweetened (hey- it's the South). Between my two daughters and my husband, our household goes through three gallons of milk a week- and would drink more if I bought more.

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  4:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Our kids drink mainly water, rice milk occasionally (they both spit cow milk out!), and warm tea. For most of the summer I have a jar of Tangerine Orange Zinger Tea in the fridge- it is full of vitamin c and tastes great. They also love cold water with cucumber slices or lemon...the cucumber imparts a great flavor. To make a fizzy drink mix a touch of cranberry or orange juice with sparkling water.

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile
My kids drink milk or water, or the occasional 100% juice. NO sodas or koolaid type stuff....# 4 son has too many sugar issues so I just outlaw it for them all. Husband wont' stop drinking soda though..we all roll our eyes at him. In summertime I make fresh lemonade or mint herbal ice tea for us all sometimes. I canned some apple and grape juice last year and we do break some of that out for treats too every once in awhile. My kids all but the youngest LOVE V-8 juice too..so we have that on hand for treats too. We go through alot of milk and alot of water here though.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  4:28:38 PM  Show Profile
freshly juiced fruits and veggies are great!
My kids know that kooaid- soda, etc. isn't to touch their lips!
The hispanic people in our community have a drink we love! It's real fruit juices and water, with ice and chunks of real, fresh fruit in it. It's so refreshing with the heat we get here in the summer (or anytime *U*) and it washed down the spicey food we love nicely. The best part is after you have enjoyed thedrink, you get to eat the fresh fruit at thebottom of the cup. Dessert!

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Water is the staple at our house. If it's all they have - they'll drink it!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  7:17:20 PM  Show Profile
I try to give my 4.5 year old son organic food only. He drinks organic milk and juice. I like Whole Foods 365 juice boxes for school lunch. I also give my son kefir from Lifeway every day. He has had a very healthy winter, for which we are quite grateful! Erik drinks bottled water with fluoride every day too. We have our own well, that's why I buy that type of water.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  05:37:30 AM  Show Profile
My kids mostly drink water & some organic milk. If we do go out, they will have water, or a soda & on occasion, juice. Even though juice is more healthy nutritionally than soda, it can still rot their teeth just the same. My nephew used to drink a lot of juice & had to have several crowns put on his teeth. My SIL was upset because she thought it was healthy for him. One thing that I read about juice is that, it takes say 4 oranges to make one glass of juice, but we could never actually eat that many oranges at one time. I have a diet soda (which I am quitting) or water with lemon/lime squeezed in it, maybe you could try that to add some flavor. Lemons aren't too expensive, especially when you only need a wedge for some flavor.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic So what are you feeding your kids... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page