True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am starting "Grocery Challenge 2008"

I am challenging anyone who wants to, to make a food budget. Sit down and assess what you actually do eat in your house. What meals, what convenience food, what fast food.

To accept this challenge post here each time you go to the grocery store. Let us know what you bought, and your total bill.

Stages to Reducing Food Bill:
1. Make A Family Budget
  • Don't go over your food budget for the month. If you are running short look for low cost alternatives and things you can make at home like bread to reduce spending.

2. Cut out any non organic pre-prepped convenience food.
  • These foods are empty calories. If you use conveniece food, order from MaryJanesFarm. You will need to eat less to fill your family up as these foods still have their natural nutrition in them.

3. Try to reduce current spending by 15%

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Mar 17 2008 1:54:06 PM

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Alee, I am going to try to do this. Later I am going to sit down and make these lists

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds great Amanda- We get buy on $150 a month plus a twice a year trip to Costco of about $300 a trip for Doug (HUGE eater), Me, and Nora. What do you think you will be able to get by on?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Well, I think with me I need to learn how to cook w/out meat. We have meat everyday! I also make 3 lunches and breakfast for M and the kids EVERYDAY plus dinner.
I just went to Costco last week and spent 240.00 and that meat should last us 3 1/2 weeks, more if I can learn to substitute with other protiens. So this month I shouldnt need anything else, unless I run out of flour and sugar. Since I make our own bread,rolls,tortillas that helps.
So I am going to try to make it on 220.00 a month, starting April 10th...
I also started clipping coupons, which I have never done.GOTTA start cutting corners EVERYWHERE!!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't imagine spending only $150 a month.. the good ole days! We spend roughly $1000 a month!!! But I am hoping to bring that down a couple of hundred dollars a month.. We are going vegan- low fat vegan.. once the dairy and meat is gone out of the house that is it.. We will be eating mostly beans, brown rice, and lots of produce.. green smoothies is what we eat for breakfast, and dinner too- at least a prequel to dinner unless we have salad.. but since we don't live close to a store I can't store greens long- so most go in the freezer then go into smoothies.
the boys are happy eating refried beans by the bowl full.. nothing else.. boy aren't I lucky! I am making black and pinto bean veggie chili for tonight.. For breakfast I had a green smoothie with kale/spinach/parsley (a very cheap green but full of nutrients) bananas (we buy about 10 cases of bananas a month) and frozen strawberries and other frozen fruits. For lunch was raw carrots and a banana. .for dinner will be 16 ounces of green smoothie and all the chili I can eat..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Debra- Wow! That certainly is a lot of $$$ a month, but you also have a wonderful large family. Can you put in a big garden this summer? Do you have wild berries and such in your area that you can glean? I find that we are able to eat very cheaply in the later part of summer and fall by supplementing with garden produce and gleaned foods.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Mar 17 2008 1:45:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:51:50 PM  Show Profile
That is the problem is that we don't have access to any wild fruit and can't garden here. But we will be moving so.. but it won't be until the end of the summer so we will miss out this summer. again.. When we lived in Oregon I picked blackberries, wild apples, blueberries, regular apples.. grapes. cherries. I had lots of access to free produce. haven't had that in a few years now..
This is part of why we are moving- we need to live where we can garden, have access to more upick farms and wild growing berries and the like..
I suppose I spend less than a lot of people with less children. My sister spends $600 for a family of 4..

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you checked out the recipe plans at www.hillbillyhousewife.com ?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile
yep.. the plans use outdated prices- way outdated. I figured that with my size family her $70 plan would cost me $250 a week- which is what I am spending now (actually a bit less) for much more high quality food.. are you still eating vegan? have you read Eat to Live by Dr Fuhrman? really good.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  5:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Grocery challenge?? Yes, I accept & necessary these days to cut as much as possible. Gas today was $3.54! Yikes, I shop for groceries 1/ month, I used to go 2/ month but we live 45 minutes away from a big grocery store so now I really try to get as much as possible in that one trip.. I have noticed our spending go down since I cut the trip to once a month..Will get a list started!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  5:18:26 PM  Show Profile
I just checked out that hillbilly website.. I can see where the $70 menu would be off for pricing.. but still has some good ideas!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  5:48:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you started this today, Alee! I went out to the grocer today and saved the receipt, thinking I really ought to keep track of where all my food money goes. I really want to start redirecting it into organic foods, especially milk. I'm planning my garden so we'll have lots of veg this summer, fall, and winter, and I'm getting my chickens(!squeals with farmgirl glee!) in a couple weeks for eggs-
We normally spend around 200$/month for food for two of us. A couple weeks ago I decided I am not shopping at the big supermarket anymore - the quality is terrible, and they have zip local goodies. So we went to the butcher's today (they are also a small produce market too) to pick up a few things for the week...

2l Milk 3.69
Eggs 2.39
Choc. Croissant 0.99 (Fella's treat, he's got a bad cold :(
Dish Soap 3.29
12 Grain Bread 2.43
Apples (.89) 3.49
Bananas 0.59
Breakfast Sausage 1.08
Broccoli 1.29
Cucumber 1.69
Chick. Breast 5.99 Total: 27.34

Today I baked dinner rolls and 2 loaves of banana bread-
I am running out of flour though, so I'll need to go to the Bulk Barn soon..

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  8:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee - great idea to do this! We spend about $200 a week or so for the two of us and once a year we buy our beef raised by friends. I'm guessing at the amount we spend and am ashamed to say I've gotten out of the habit of paying close attention since it's down to just the two of us.
I buy as much organic as possible and am lucky to live in an area with GREAT farmer's markets in late spring and summer and we have a garden for our favorites :) I did make my laundry soap (thanks to all the farmgirls recipes) so that will cut down there and I am changing out all my cleaners for more eco-friendly choices as well.

This will be really good to get on track with *~* A friend and I carpool to town on Fridays to grocery shop/run errands so I will make out my lists you've suggested for the challenge and keep my receipt list from this week to get all my ducks in a row :)
Thanks again Alee for the great challenge!
Sissy

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  07:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I'm going to try this--
Justin and I have just been able to start going to the grocery again "regularly"....when I went a month ago, I spent $152.00 and we lived off of that for the whole month, with dinner and leftover lunches--well, just me on the lunches because Jus works at a restaurant and can eat for free. There were some great meat purchases (chicken breasts, buy one get one) and I bought all of the organic ground beef from the "sell now" bin for .99 a lb. I froze it immediately. This time, I went and had several dinners in mind, nothing spectacular and spent $127.00 on what seems to be...nothing--there were no meat specials and not much on sale.

Our milk and bread costs have skyrocketed here. Don't know about anyone else. I could make bread, too, but we simply don't eat it enough and I'm afraid it will turn into a hockey puck.

I do buy organic produce and milk when I can. This time however, I did forego the $1.89 can of organic canellini beans for the .50 can. In the end, it certainly adds up.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Mar 18 2008 07:41:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  09:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- You should buy some mini loaf pans- say 5 or 6, then make a batch of bread, and instead of making a huge loaf- make 5 or 6 mini loves. Keep one out and then freeze the rest! That is what I am going to do since we have the same issue around our house. That way one baking of bread can last a while and yet the loaf will never get stale before you eat it! :D I tested this theory by buying a few mini loaves from the Co-Op and it was the perfect amount of bread for us!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

April
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

April
Knoxville TN
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I will try this. I have a family of 5, and I go the the grocery store weekly and budget $100 a week. I may have to buy more milk throughout the week, but we pretty much budget $400 monthly. I would love to reduce this cost if I could!

April~
www.abbysweets.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Good idea, Alee. Thanks for the little push of encouragement.

DH and I just purchased and brought home one-eighth of a beef cow this past weekend, got 47 assorted packages of meat from it (roasts, steaks, stew beef, ribs and hamburger) and I was trying to determine how much per meal/how long all that will last us. I am happy to purchase the beef locally (and this is very local; most likely one the the critters I like to name and admire from my side of the fence, but we won't think about that now...) and not worry about the hormones and sick cow processing issues we seem to be hearing more about.

I looked at the hillbilly housewife menu a while back but thought the prices were low, compared to what I pay here in the DC suburbs. I also knew I had to have more meat in the house, that plan just won't work for us.

But, we are also facing retirement in the next 12 months which means the dreaded "fixed income" situation for us, so I need to get a better handle on what we are spending...

Looking for inspiration!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here are some ideas for extending meat in a meal.

#1- Don't let the biggest carnivore in the house cook the steaks. Doug will eat half a cow if I let him.

#2- Include lots of veggies in your cooking. When cooking that Pot roast, slow cook or roast 3 to 4 times the weight of the meat in veggies. Then when you plate up, make sure there is that same proportion to meat on the plate. The veggies will have that meaty flavor, offer great nutrition while filling the family up. This way you can save more of the meat for roast beef sandwiches for lunch or for a stir fry the next day.

#3 When making spaghetti sauce, goulash, soups etc, use carrots as a meat extender. Cook your carrots with the meat. They will absorb the meat taste. If your family is veggie phobic- puree the veggies in your blender or food processor first. The tomato base will hide them.

#4 Instead of having lots of meals with whole meat, have combination meals. By whole meat I mean meat that is a slab- like pot roast, steaks etc. Instead use hamburger, stew meat etc in meals like soups, stir fry, shepherd and cottage pie, lasagna, spaghetti, meatloaf *you can get a lot of veggie filler into meatloaf).

#5 Cook with meat base, bullion or stock instead of water. When making rice use chicken stock instead of water, no need to add salt. Use this rice to make amazing stir-fry.

#6- Try to have only one meal a week with whole meat- steaks etc if your family is missing that type of meal. Serve it restaurant style. Have the family sit down and bring out bread sticks and salad, then have a soup, then bring out smaller than normal steaks, chicken breast or whatever the whole meat of the night is. After they have had breadsticks, soup, salad they will not be as hungry for a huge helping of meat.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I think I might try as well.
I spend between $75-100 per week as well, and there is only three of us. My son seems to think we have a cow hooked up in the back yard and drinks three gallons of milk per week by himself.
Although, he recently went shopping with me and saw the Kemps Select I buy is $4.54 per gallon and has since eased up a bit-so we go through two per week. I even caught him (gasp) drinking water the other day.

Any way I can reduce cost is cool with me. I may even dig out my bread machine and play with it one of these days, as bread is getting to be too much as well.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:48:15 AM  Show Profile
I am pretty frugal, but find that if I only go monthly, I miss out on specials... So I go every week or 2 & ONLY buy what is on sale. I just plan menus around that. Our IGA has added organic chicken (Gerbers brand) & they will run sales where I can get a whole bird for about $3.50. I bought 5 one day & thought about it & went back & got 5 more!! So I have 10 birds in the freezer. In addition, Gerbers sells a huge pack of thighs for about $2.00. I like to pressure cook those, take off skin & bones, add peas, carrots, celery & onions & thicken or add dumplings.. Huge amount that is good for several meals. Also, if you pressure cook long enough, the bones will crumble, so I mash those for the dogs.
We have venison from a friend in the freezer, & I canned some as well, so I haven't been buying beef, only the chicken, pork loin when on sale, or meat from the "green meat bin" like Jonni. The rest of our meals are based on whole wheat pastas, stir fry, or beans. I save all of my veggie scraps in a bag in the freezer & make stock when it is full. I have many cans of my canned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, green beans & applesauce that I canned last summer, & several bags of frozen blueberries that I picked last summer. So we have some decent variety. There are a few items that hubby likes in his lunch, like yogurt & those stupid cheese slices, but he has been informed that those will only be there when I can get them on sale & he is fine with that. I make all my cleaning products so save that way. That being said, as an appraiser, the gas is killing me & I feel more broke than ever.
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  3:08:53 PM  Show Profile
One thing we have done already is cut way back on convenience items due to all the unecessary packaging etc. I am most excited I think about the laundry soap and cleaners I've made with the Farmgirl recipes! I also have a couple of books I used a lot when my son when small. Eating Healthy for $50 a Week and Cheapskate in the Kitchen so will be hunting those down while Spring Cleaning :)

On my Goals sheet for the Grocery Challenge I have added to cut the trips to town in half to twice a month instead of each week to challenge myself to "make-do more" :) I'm also going to make myself WALK down to the little market if I really must have something (onion, milk, eggs etc.) that can't wait until the next trip to town so at least if I can't make something do I can get exercise out of it :)
Thanks for doing this Alee *~*

Sissy
Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning

Edited by - sissysquilts on Mar 19 2008 11:21:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  11:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so I just stumble upon this thread. . . and BOY, do I need help. I'm trying to reduce our grocery budget of roughly $1000 by several hundred dollars. I've tried before and failed to make it last for more than a month. Here's the facts: Family of 5 (dh,myself, boy 8, boy 7, girl 3) in somewhat overpriced Colorado market. The kids are homeschooled and my husband works from home, so that's 3 meals and at least one snack for 5 people every day. Keeping in mind this means we have virtually no "eating out" or "lunch money" type of items to budget for. My DH is probably the one I cater to the most in my food prep. He doesn't much care for beans unless they are mixed with much other yumminess. Cheese is a big expense, he LOVES cheese. I will be planting a small garden in at the end of May, approx. 10' x 10', know idea what to plant, besides tomatoes and snap peas. I can't have chickens or anything where I live.

So, I'll try not to cringe at all the "Wow, that's a lot of money for groceries!" comments, let 'er rip!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124

www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  12:43:00 PM  Show Profile
All right girls, I went shopping on Saturday. I had ten for supper on Sunday and had to get a few things. I had a bad cold, so I caved into a few shortcuts. I also went to the supermarket I said I didn't want to go to anymore. It was a madhouse! And I definitely will try to avoid it as much as I can. I also notice some of the prices (look at the difference in the milk!) from the little mom and pop to the big box store. Mom and Pop was much better!

Tortillas (3x1.50) 4.5
Cran. Sauce 1.49
Grm. Pie Crust 2
Celery 0.89
Lemon 0.99
Dinner Rolls 2.5
Cookies 4.99
Food Colouring x3 5.37
Sweet Potatoes 2.95
Multigrain Bread 2.89
WW Flour 4.29
Tomato Soup x 4 3.96
Sweet Cond. Milk 1.99
Eggs 2.15
Whipping Cream 1.99
Kosher Salt 4.29
Froz. Grn. Beans 2.29
Bay Leaves 2.59
Froz. Corn 2.49
Ice Cream 5.49
Crackers 1.99
Cran. Juice 2.99
Milk (2L) 4.09!
Butter x 2 8.18
Chunky Soup x 3 5.07
Flour 10kg 11.99
Water 5.18

Total: 99.59
Monthly Total: 126.93

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  1:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Geez, I forgot I was participating in this. I have to dig out my receipt out of the trash.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  3:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Two of my biggest expenses are for my DH. He loves his chips and other bagged fried treats. He does eat popcorn that he makes 2-3 times a week but we go through at least 4 bags of some type of chips at the tune of $3 a bag. Also soda. He drinks about 2-12 packs a week along with 10 bottles of Gatorade or something like that. Any suggestions?

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile
This week's trip:

Potato Skins 8.97
Pizza Rolls 2.44
Mini Corn Dogs 2.59
Hot Pockets 4.38
Ramen Noodle Soup 6pack 0.89
**These are treats for the kids-it is spring break-a once a year treat
Total- $19.27
"Real" Groceries:
Milk-2 Gallons 8.98
Butterfinger bunny 2.50
Crunch bunny 2.50
Organic Applesauce 3.33
bagels (2 bags) 5.00
Wheat bread 3.19
Organic canned Mushrooms 3.27
2 bags organic romaine lettuce heads 5.98
Organic baby carrots $2.99
Shallots $1.69
Cauliflour head $1.00
3 Lbs Bananas 1.83
Limes $1.99
Organic Lemons $4.99

Total: $49.24

$49.24+ $19.27=$68.51
I didn't have to buy much this week, as I hit pay dirt a few weeks ago in the meat department.
Normally, I don't buy all that frozen food, but I do once in a while for fun for the kids.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2008 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page