Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 OK, the sunflowers grew, now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic OK, the sunflowers grew, now what? Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Earlier this spring several of you wrote and gave me wonderful ideas on how to get my sunflowers growing. And grow they did! Most of them are 12' tall. All have huge flowers. All have started to hand their heads. Now what?!?! When do I harvest them? How? Will the birds get them before I do? Thanks!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  05:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Joy, Oh I have "sunflower envy"!!!! Your topic heading made me laugh. Are the heads drooping like they are about to fall off? Do the seeds look dry? What do you want to use them for? Bird seed or human snacks? If you leave the heads on eventually all the seeds will be devoured by birds and some will drop off and you will have lots of sunflowers next year! If you want to save the seeds, wait until the seeds look dry and are about to drop off, and the head is dead looking, cut the head off ( this sounds graphic, but it is just a flower) and harvest the seeds for your purposes.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 09 2005 05:28:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  09:03:19 AM  Show Profile
Joy, thanks for asking that question. I've been wondering the same myself. And thank you for your advice Meadowlark. I think I'll harvest some to eat and some to plant next year (where I want them to grow).
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  05:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
stretch stockings over the heads of the sunflowers to allow them to dry longer and get plumper without the birds getting them all. When they are eating size just snip off the head, stocking and all and hang in a cool dark place until needed. Please do this before first frost, and on a dry day. Cutting it when it's damp will result in mold
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  08:01:13 AM  Show Profile
I loved it the year a grew lots of big sunflowers and corn. I had pheasants in my yard that fall, the only time I'd seen them in the 27 years I've lived here. They were sure pretty.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile
I picked one out of the head today and opened it. NO seed!!!! Are they just not developed yet? Do I need to wait longer? The seeds are not dark at all yet, but they have tipped over. Help!?
Thanks
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

OkieSunflower
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

OK
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  06:36:11 AM  Show Profile
When I grew sunflowers, I always left them on the plant until the plant was completely dried up. --to the point where the plant couldn't support the head.
I really didn't have problems with that many birds--but we do live out in the plains. I then took the heads and laid them out on mesh screen (in a protected building--like a garage) and let them completely dry out.

hope this helps

"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others." Jonathan Winters
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  1:09:11 PM  Show Profile
I grew sunflowers for the first time this year...My question is...I grew some smaller-more orange-ish sunflowers...Can you eat all kinds of sunflower seeds?
Do you toast the seeds?
Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic OK, the sunflowers grew, now what? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page