OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile
I would like to get a wheat grinder to make my own whole wheat flour. I have a kitchen aid machine, and it has an attachment (I don't have the attachment) but before I purchase one I'd like to know how well it works, will it be worth my while, or should I go out and purchase a different grinder. And if I purchase a different one, which one works well. It would be for just my husband and me, so I wouldn't be needing tons of flour. Any ideas on whether electric or hand or which brand is good? Thanks so much for any responses.

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  12:55:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a kitchen aid too, but a couple years ago my husband bought me a Blendtech "The Kitchen Mill" machine. I love it because it will grind all manner of wheat berries, and beans, and corn *U* It's noisy...but I love it. It seems to grind all the grains fine, there's a dial to choose, but even on the big dot (course) mine is still fine. That's okay- not all machines grind beans into flour, and I lke that this one does.

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile
I have had a corona type hand grinder for about 20 years..love it but hate the muscle aches when I have alot to grind. I was gifted with a used Whisper Mill about 5 years ago and LOVE it. I can't think of a single thing I don't love about it..it is quiet, does alot, and grinds very fine or coarse, depending on my needs. I really recomend them.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  8:17:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a Nutrimill. It is an electric mill, and it is very good. It has coarse and fine gound settings. I have found field corn to not grind well. Popcorn grinds wonderfully in those recipes that require cornmeal. I am looking to get a hand-crank grinder for lehmans it's about in the 150 range where the electric mill is in the 250s. Hope this helps.

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile
I grind popcorn in my Whisper Mill too..it does make yummy cornbread!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  06:58:48 AM  Show Profile
I have that same hand grinder that Jenny does! I bought it in a yard sale about 10 years ago for $15 and I have to say this about it- When can I get an electric?!!! Yikes! But,if power goes out,I can still make flour. :) It is a killer on the arms and shoulders. When it comes out of the cabinet, my kids run in the opposite direction! I dream of the electric one from Lehman's. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  10:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your input....I do appreciate it so much. I at least have somewhere to start. If anyone else has a different
variety, I'd appreciate hearing from you still - thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  11:15:03 AM  Show Profile
I did hang on to my hand grinder too, for just in case.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  1:24:22 PM  Show Profile
I love my Whisper Mill.. but hardly ever use it anymore :-) We just don't eat that much bread anymore.. but it was a God send when we were making homemade bread..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chris,
I have one of the grain grinders for my kitchen aid, that I bought last year. I have only used it to grind winter wheat berries for whole wheat flour. It works well enough. I still have hope to get a Diamant grain mill from Lehman's someday.

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wheat grinders....which one? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page