Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about soap Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  08:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Warning - this gets personal!

I keep having bad reactions to store-bought soap. I was using Ivory and Dove with no troubles at all, but then recently was using an old, brittle bar and a small piece broke off and sat in a sensitive place (where I seem to react - the rest of my skin is fine). I realized it a half hour later (burning & itching & broke out in a rash!) and cleaned up, but now I cannot use Dove or Ivory, which are supposed to be the more gentle soaps.

So I tried another soap, and I was okay for a week but now am breaking out in a rash again.

I've had reactions before - learned to be careful what kind of laundry detergent or fabric softener I buy, and make sure DH was using the Dove or Ivory too.

Will homemade soaps be better on sensitive skin? I'd like to try some from folks on here that make their own as I understand the process is much different than what is in the store. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:29:20 AM  Show Profile
I've not had near the reaction that you describe but I began to itch really bad when I would use drugstore soap. I too was alternating between Dove and Ivory for the most part. I quite using Ivory though when our pediatrician told me that Ivory was a very harsh soap and not use it on my daughter any more. (I too thought it was a very mild one, I don't know) Anyways my skin was very dry and rough too so I started using all natural soaps. I started out with soaps from www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com and now use the shampoo bars too and have not used regular shampoo in several months. My skin has improved so much I can't even describe it. My acne problem has improved, my skin is no longer scaly looking and I don't itch. Since using the shampoo bars, my scalp doesn't itch and haven't had a dandruff problem. I am now alternating these soaps with soaps from our own Soapmaven here. Susan's soap are absolutely wonderful and smell heavenly. I hope this helps, I sympathize with your skin problems. It's not fun.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  4:25:10 PM  Show Profile
My sisterinlaw has always been able to use any old soap except one time a month. I gave her a bar of a homemade olive oil based soap and it does'nt seem to bother her. So, now I get a call whenever she runs out.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  5:25:36 PM  Show Profile
I don't know who had the bright idea that Ivory wasn't harsh! I react so badly to that soap! When the soap I regularly used ran out, I used Dove for a while, but my skin broke out and I had acne!
I now only use Elora Soap: http://www.elorasoap.com/

I particularly like their mint. They have many others, but I find the Mint best for my skin type.

I hope you have luck finding a soap you can use!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:35:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't use Ivory either - I think it's not so much the soap but whatever perfume/fragrance they use in it. I have used Dove for sensitive skin, and it does seem to help in the winter. You can try using Cetaphil cleanser for your face. Try Burt's Bees soaps (but I don't use them often); also try finding a soap with honey.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think homemade soaps are the best way to go. Any soap you buy in the stores (excluding some the specialty soaps like Burts and such because I am not sure about them) siphon off the glycerin and actually most "soaps" are more of a detergent bar than a soap bar. There are LOTS of us out there that make homemade soap in any scent, shape, or color that you can imagine. Usually these are more mild and better for the skin.

Here are some ingredients to look for (for) sensitive skin:
Milk
Sugar
Oatmeal
Honey
Vanilla (not fragrance oil)

Milk sooths and nurishes the skin and also helps disolve the bonds between dead skin cells

Sugar is a mild natural exfoliant

Oatmeal is an amazing moisturizer

Honey is much the same as milk but also helps heal

And Vanilla is very soothing.

:)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  2:37:55 PM  Show Profile
I react to Ivory too. I made the mistake of using it on my face one night and I felt like I had been burnied!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page