Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Food Allergies - Is there a remedy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Food Allergies - Is there a remedy? Next Topic  

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Just after puberty, I started to develop food allergies. Up until then, I had no trouble eating anything, and then BOOM! I suddenly couldn't eat raw carrots (cooked is fine) and almonds were bad. Then I added peaches, necterines, and cherries. One by one, the nuts have been added to my taboo list: walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, macadamian, pecans... The only "nuts" I'm able to eat are pistachio, cashew, peanut (I know, it's not a nut...) and coconut. I began to have allergies to certain types of apples, pears, plums and melons. At first, I thought it might be pesticides, but even untreated fruit I'm allergic to, so something else is going on.

My question is this: Is there any way to get over food allergies? Every time I go out for dinner, any time I purchase something at the grocery store, go to potluck dinners, etc. I have to be so extra careful about what could be in the food. I really want to eat a ripe peach again without reacting violently. I can't even touch a peach cuz they make me itch! I miss eating nuts, especially macadamian... And I miss cherry pie... sigh.

So please, if you can, help!

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi citycat-I am going through the same thing as well but it didn't hit me until a couple of years ago and I am now 35. It also hit me very suddenly. A lot of times an emotional or physical event that puts stress on your body can "turn on" these allergies. It could have been the hormonal changes and the possibility of other stressors.

Anyway, I am seeing a naturopath that is giving me drops that I put in water twice a day that will desensitize me to the foods and things in the environment that I am allergic to. He uses electrodermal screening to test you and then the strength of the allergy compounds depends on where your immune system is at the time. I am beginning to notice that I am less sensetive to things that made me very ill before. It will still bother me, but not as bad. One of the things I have had a big problem with is sugar including that in fruits and vegetables. I'm now able to drink berry smoothies or have 1/2 an apple, carrots or corn in small amounts.

I know how frustrating it is especially when most resturaunt employees are not educated on common food allergies and a lot of times they use pre-made ingredients that are shipped in and can't offer an ingredients list. I kind of get on my "soap box" about that.

I wish you the best and I would suggest finding a good naturopath in your area who will also help you build up your immune system.

I am also a nurse and worked in the injection clinic for a couple of years. The allergy shots we had to give can be very dangerous and I had to be prepared to respond to a systemic reacion at any time. I have talked to people that spent ten years getting shots only to have the allergies resurface after a period of time being off the shots.

You can e-mail me anytime if you want to chat!

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile
This probably isn't all that helpful to you at this point, but I heard a program on NPR about something called the "Hygiene Theory." Basically some scientists think that because we are a society obsessed with a germ free existence our immune systems are not getting enough of a workout and therefore are overreacting to other things. Thus, the rise in food allergies. So, I wonder if what the naturopath is giving you in some way "exercises" your immune system.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Missy: Thanks for the advice. I did the allergy shots for a number of years, but that was mostly for my seasonal pollen allergies that made spring a hellish time of year for me. My seasonal allergies are a minor inconvenience now. I'm allergic to almost everything in varying degrees. I'm even allergic to cats, but that didn't stop me from getting one. The only food that I'm horribly, horribly allergic to is peaches. Even synthetic peach makes me react. Everything else, I won't die if I eat it, but I'll be very uncomfortable and itchy for a few hours. I just have some reservations about going the naturopathic route. Deliberately introducing something into my body that it obvious doesn't react well to... I dunno. I am also not in a position to afford a naturopath. I guess I just have to continue avoiding the things I'm allergic to. Thanks for trying to help!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi City cat,
I am so understanding to your fustration.I am allergic to eggs.I developed the allergy in my early 20's.As I have gotten older I have developed more allergies.I have found it to be so difficult go out to eat,at at parties,potluck dinners,even at friends.So many time I have gone to events only to be able to eat the raw veggies.It is a pain in the neck but I haven't been able to find any advice on how to lessen it.I go into anaphylactic shock so my reaction is serious.I recieve shots for my other allergies,which has helped.My Dr. said the best way is to avoid the allergens,easy for him to say.lol.
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Alicia: at least you can eat raw veggies! I have discovered through trial and error that I'm allergic to beta-carotene. Beta carotene in vitamins is okay because it just gets swallowed whole. If I chewed the vitamin, I bet I'd have an allergic reaction. I haven't tried it yet though... I can eat cooked carrots, so this protein gets denatured in the cooking process. I also can't eat celery or eggplant raw. They have to be cooked all the way through or I'll have a reaction. And this is only one of the MANY problems I have with my body. Trouble is, I don't think things will get any easier... And I think I've recently become allergic to pistachios! WAAA!!!

Cat

Edited by - CityCat on Sep 10 2005 5:02:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi City Cat,

I have food allergies too: Pork, Oceanfish, Shellfish, Peanuts, Cashews, Pistachios, Mangos, and Sunflower Seeds.

Allegry shots didn't work. When I got my sixth one, I impressed everyone at the allergists office by ceasing to breathe.

I have a friend who is a BioTech Engineer. She says in a few years they will be able to solve this issue with the magic of Gene Splicing. Far Out! Problem is, they can't guarantee that I won't grow a tail or a second head.

The truth is, food allergies are life threatening. It really doesn't make sense to experiment on yourself with various "cures."

In the Middle Ages, every fifedom in Europe employed an Italian Poison Expert. (TRIVIA -- The French word for "poisoner" is the word "italian") The Italians knew that certain substances were poison. They also knew that you would need differing amounts depending on the individual. For example, it is a little known fact that everyone is allergic to Strawberries. With most people, it would take more raw Strawberries than you could possibly eat to do the job, but for some, just a glass of the juice would do it. For others, the mere touch of a strawberry to their lips would cause itching and swelling of the tongue. Things that many people can eat with no trouble are poison to others.

I have found that once I accepted my allergies as a fact and something which should not be toyed with I was able to move on and manage my diet in a healthy way.

Please take care of yourself!!! and be open to trying new things in place of the things you cannot eat.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  8:27:19 PM  Show Profile
I just found out something about my food allergies! People who react to certain types of tree pollen will have a strong likelihood of being allergic to certain foods! There is a direct correlation to reacting to birch pollen and being allergic to apples. I found this on an allergy website:

"the Birch pollen-Apple oral Allergy Syndrome is commonly seen in the UK. The major Birch Pollen pan-allergen Bet V 1 has a very similar structure to the major allergens in Apple, Hazelnut, Carrot, Cherry, Pear, Tomato, Celery, Potato and Peach. Hence we find Birch Pollen sensitised individuals have oral allergy to any one or combination of these fruits and vegetables."

I know I have severe tree pollen allergies. I'm so very, very miserable in the spring! To think that my tree pollen allergies is affecting my ability to eat certain fruits and vegetables is certainly a revelation! Although, I've also read that I probably won't ever be able to eat the things I'm now allergic to. The only treatment is complete avoidance. Sigh.

Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Food Allergies - Is there a remedy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page