Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Teething or Night Terrors, not sure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Teething or Night Terrors, not sure Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  10:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My nephew had night terrors when he was younger so I have watched an episode or two of the uncontrollable screaming/crying/sobbing that can result.

Tonight Doug and I put Nora to sleep like normal and in about 45 minutes she was crying like she was afraid or in pain. So I heated up a bottle and went to her. She was still asleep but crying so hard.

She kept her eyes shut the whole time, and would suck on her pacifier for a second before spitting it out and crying harder. She wanted nothing to do with the bottle.

I got some Tylenol into her, as well as some Hyland's teething tablets. Finally, I got her to take the bottle and she drank about half before taking the pacifier and going back to a calm sleep.

During all of this, she did open her eyes a few times but didn't seem to be aware. My singing helped her a bit but didn't calm her like it normally does.

I am really hoping that this is just the next round of teething coming on and not night terrors. Teething I can do stuff about- Night Terrors I am just a helpless passenger. :(

Poor baby. I feel so bad for her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  11:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Charlie started having dreams around 1 years old. Sometimes we would hear him wimpering or little cries and sometimes it would be full on crying just because he couldn't get comfortable. We would go in and he wouldn't be knocked out but still crying. I think their little brains are starting to be creative and it rolls over into theirs sleep. Just keep on checking her. It could be teething too.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  05:22:25 AM  Show Profile
My oldest has had night terrors for the last six years or so. Usually they start around the time a child starts relly dreaming, like two or three. With my daughter, she would not wake up-physically, I mean. She would sit up, talk to us, open her eyes, walk down the hall, and we would think we had gotten her out of the terror, but that was never true. As soon as she got settled back in the bed she would start screaming and hollering all over again. A sure sign was that she never remember anything that happened the night before. We figured out the one way we could get her awake- we took her and sat her on the toilet. If we could get her to go to the bathroom, that would usually wake her up. Only recently have they eased up. It's very unnerving for a parent, but it didn't seem so bad for her. She didn't know what was going on at the time, and didn't remember it in the morning... so we just tried to comfort her the best we could. Two signs that predict that they are night terrors rather than nightmares are the inability to wake the person successfully and the lack of remembering the event, so pay attention to those. We figured out finally that hers were tied to stress and/or lack of sleep. If she was short on her sleep, the night terrors were worse.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  05:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora did have a busy day, went to bed late and had only a short nap. I really hope that she isn't getting into a Night Terror cycle. I remember how horrifying they were for the rest of the family when Timmy got them. At least the kiddos don't remember afterwards so I think it is more traumatic to the parents.

Also she was so tired by the time she did go to bed, that she didn't drink much of her bed time bottle, so who knows. The last two weeks have been very shook up with lots of changes and me being very busy with phone calls all day every day trying to get the insurance mess figured out. Hopefully this is all going to settle down soon.

Thanks for all your input ladies! I will let you know if we figure out if it is teething or Night terrors.

I thought I saw some teeth coming up the other day when some sunlight happened to shine right into her mouth when she was laughing. So hopefully it is just her next few coming up. It's about time.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile
Could be teeth, or maybe she's getting sick? Tate has bad dreams. Not necessarily night terrors, but nightmares none the less. I have lived my whole life with nightmares, so I know firsthand how much that sucks. I hope it's just teeth for Nora!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  09:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I forgot she was drooling a lot yesterday- I though she was just being silly because we were running errands for the first time in 2 weeks. But this morning she is drooling again. So I am thinking it was teeth.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Poor little one, I hope the teeth come in and she isn't troubled any more

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have heard her crying out in the night a few times, but nothing compared to the other night. Poor girl. I have pretty much decided that it is teething. I saw some white pressure marks where her molars will be coming in, as well as her eye teeth. Ouch. I don't think I am ready for my baby to have molars. That just seems way to grown up for me! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Teething or Night Terrors, not sure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page