Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 List of Companies that don't "out-source"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic List of Companies that don't "out-source"? Next Topic  

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile
A friend asked me this morning if I had any information on finding companies to deal with that don't "out-source", i.e. to India or other foreign countries so as not to pay health-care costs, social security etc for American workers. I hadn't realized so many companies actually did this so this is a new one on me :) She had just called to make reservations at her FAV vacation getaway and found herself on the phone with India instead of the friendly on-site staff she is used to dealing with. She is not a happy camper about this.

I told her the Farmgirls might know! :) So...if anyone knows where one might find information either on companies who DO (so we may choose to not use) or on companies who DON'T (so we may choose to seek them out) use "out-sourcing", please share :)

Thanks so much!

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  1:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah Sissy, I learned about this in one of my grad courses. It's really sad. So much for employing Americans.... I also try so hard to buy things made in America but so many few and far between... Thank you for bringing this issue up. It is important.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Dell definetly "outsources" I gave up ordering from them when i kept getting sent to india :(

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile
interesting site http://www.madeinusa.com/

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:36:08 PM  Show Profile
I would be very interested in companies that aren't outsourcing
also. I have a sinking feeling they are few and far between. It is really scary when you realize that barely anything is totally made in America. Don't these employers realize that without American's working there is no money to buy their products? They will put themselves out of business eventually. I guess I got on the soap box, sorry, but this is a subject that I feel so strongly about.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile
I know United Airlines outsources to India too. I had nothing but trouble dealing with them back last June for a trip. They definitely had a problem with the language and of course have no clue which states our cities are even in! It was awful and I'll never fly United again!

No, I don't believe companies give a darn about Americans, they just want to make a profit in the short term. They ave not the least bit interested or concerned about the long term effects this is having on us.

Good luck finding a company that isn't outsourcing these days! Even charge card companies have you calling India!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh, this subject is on a LONG list of things that are so dissapointing recently, for me (yes, I'm sorry to go there, but I can get on a soap box about this stuff---so Mary Jane, you're not the only one)...along with the way we raise our meat, the way this government treats education, senior citizens, even pet food...<sigh>

There are MANY companies outsourcing. The larger computer companies are outsourcing their technical support--in fact, MUCH of technology is going to India. AND, MOST of the larger companies are sending stuff to be made in China, Malaysia, and any number of places where employment standards are..well, SUBstandard...why? Because it's CHEAPER, and at the end of the day, sadly, I think it's all about the bottom line with some of these business...and this goes all the way up to the governmental level. I sometimes wonder if there is a systematic way to reverse this, but I think the American people have to do the hard work of DEMANDING better. I would say, boycott the products, but you'd be amazed at what is made overseas.

I remember a TV reporter did something like that, for a report....she tried to live a day without "overseas products"...she had to go to work in her socks because ALL of her shoes were manufactured in China or elsewhere! She couldn't use certain pencils, or even her computer for work! She couldn't wear her coats, they also were made in China..it was really crazy!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if I heard this correctly, but this morning on the news, I think one of our armed forces (Air Force) is going to outsource the manufacturing of fighter planes to Europe (?) instead of here in the US by Boeing. Can you imagine?? The planes used to defend us will be supporting other countries economically, and taking away work and jobs in this country! What an outrage and a real slap in the face to us....at least our military should keep all their manufacturing here.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  6:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Well, as I said before, I think there are alot of things "not quite right" about many things going on. Many major clothing brands outsource, much of the CLOTH used in our clothing is outsourced...shoes (Nike, Reebok) outsource to Asia. Even the Simpsons TV show has it's cell animations colored and redone in Malaysia, I believe. What can be done about this? I don't know...hmmm...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  04:44:19 AM  Show Profile
You have to be careful too because I used my credit card on line and lots of companies use the foreign companies to do their processing. I found someone had charged my cc with airline tickets and the charge was orignated in New Delhi.
CC company took care of it and I had to sign something saying I did not make the charge and of course get a new card. It is very hard to buy US made because so much of our stuff comes from other countries. And they wonder why we have a big UN-employment ratio. I try to buy as much US made as I can but that gets harder and harder. Lehmans.com has some US made but they also carry imported stuff too.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  06:50:52 AM  Show Profile
This is a distressing issue. I always try to buy from locally owned businesses and I always look for items which have the made in the USA tag on them if there are a variety of choices of the product which I am seeking. Also, I personally have given up shopping at "big box" stores such as Wal-mart (the big one), Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, etc. because of the outsourcing which has occurred. Wal-mart is a huge reason why many of American companies felt forced to move their manufacturing to other countries (mainly China) where the cost to produce is cheap. Wal-mart is also the cause of many American manufacturers who went out of business trying to meet Wal-mart's price demands. PBS produced a documentary (I believe it was on Frontline) specifically targeting how Wal-mart is hurting America. I think it was done about 2 years ago, my husband is a Social Studies teacher and he has a copy of it which he shows to his students. If you can find it, it's worth watching. As consumers we do have power if we put our money in line with our morals and ethics and stop buying from companies and stores which are damaging in more ways than one! Those of the shopping mall and big box variety, do far more damage to our country, they destroy open space with new and massive construction (many times taking over farmland), they destroy free competition and locally owned business by promoting a mindless consumer culture. I've seen posts on this forum before of other farmgirls who happily report their trips to Wal-mart and each time I read something like that, I cringe. I also live in a strong Mennonite/Amish area and it's hard to see (among the hundreds of cars) the horse and buggies parked in the parking lot at our local Wal-mart... because most people are just concerned about getting the lower prices first hand, they don't realize that in the end we'll all be paying a lot more, and saving a few pennies up front really isn't worth it!!

Edited by - createmyworld on Mar 12 2008 06:58:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  07:09:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by junkjunkie

I don't know if I heard this correctly, but this morning on the news, I think one of our armed forces (Air Force) is going to outsource the manufacturing of fighter planes to Europe (?) instead of here in the US by Boeing. Can you imagine?? The planes used to defend us will be supporting other countries economically, and taking away work and jobs in this country! What an outrage and a real slap in the face to us....at least our military should keep all their manufacturing here.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Northrop Grumman (a company with headquarters in Los Angeles, Arlington and London) and EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co.) will be supplying the Air Force with fuel tankers. The GEO now has 100 days to review the contract because of the protest by Boeing.

Here's a quote by ABC
quote:
Under the new contract, the tankers' airframes would be built in Europe but the final assembly of the planes would take place at a facility in Mobile, Ala., though suppliers nationwide would see job benefits also, said Northrup Grumman.

Boeing has supplied the Air Force with tankers for 50 years... this is pure speculation on my part but it sounds as if they became comfortable, forgot the principles of Adam Smith and Northrop Grumman recognized an opportunity when they saw one. To paraphrase Air Force Deputy Secretary Susan Payton..."You gotta bring your A game".

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  07:11:50 AM  Show Profile
I did a google search, and the program I mentioned above is called "Is Wal-mart good for America?". It was a Frontline documentary. If you have a cable or DSL hook-up, you can watch it on your computer... if you're like me and still on dial up, you can maybe do a search for a copy of it on vhs or dvd. The link to watch it is as follows:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Edited by - createmyworld on Mar 12 2008 07:15:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile
I have been frusutrated with this issue as well. My Mom works for a fortune 500 company based here in Minnesota. She said they had outsourced most of their computer related stuff to India. It bit them in the arse, so they are setting their operation up back here in Minnesota. I told her oh, darn.

The company I work for has outsourced some production work to China. So far it has only saved us a marginal amount of money. I am hoping it starts costing more than it is worth and ends up back here.
I think with all of the issues with China-lead paint on toys, tooth paste etc. I would think it is only a matter of time before these companies wise up. But what do I know, I am just a dumb worker/lackey.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic List of Companies that don't "out-source"? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page