True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that I was indeed laid off this morning from my job. There is so much sadness about leaving the people that I love but a lot of hope and anticipation about what's going to come next!

Thank God, I was the first so I didn't have to wait it out all day!

I am grateful because I was able to do a few nice things for some people who are staying behind and that eels very good.

Please keep me in your thoughts!

Linder

Good Morning All!

Tomorrow at my office, there will be layoffs. I don't know if I will be staying on or leaving with a lot of other people.

One of the executives (a good friend of mine) knows who is being cut but I have felt it would put her in an uncomfortable position and also lacks integrity for me to ask if I am on the list.

I have a friend who strongly disagrees.

What do you think? Would you ask your friend or wait it out?

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

Edited by - Linder on Mar 12 2008 10:28:33 AM

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:10:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow...I'm sooo sorry! i'm such a non confrontational chicken... I don't know what I'd do!! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Wait it out, Linder--and let me preface my explanation by saying I really hope for the best, whether that's moving on or staying for you. I've been in that position here at the law firm, when partners were leaving, picking staff, eliminating staff, etc...and it isn't at all fun. My good friend at the time was the office manager, and had intimate knowledge of what was going on. We made a pact to NOT discuss it and we're still on great terms. I just figured, what will happen will happen. It's not easy, but as my daddy always said, "Keep your nose clean"--take that for what you will.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Jonni. If your friend was able to tell you, I am sure she would have. But if it got out some how that she told you it probably could mean her losing her job as well as the lay-offs (Which I hope you aren't one of!) Plus- how hard would it be to look your co-workers in the face as they fret and worry and you are a cool cucumber? Also, if your instincts, morals, what-have-you are telling you that it lacks integrity- I would listen to the inner voice. Your other friend may disagree, but when it comes down to it- You have to live with yourself and your decisions-your friend doesn't.

It sounds like an awfully hard position to be in and I hope for the best for you!

*hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Having been in your position before I would say "wait it out", don't put your friend in an ackward position. And, if the layoff happens exit with grace and dignity, express your pleasure with the job, the company and your fellow employees (if that's the case). Tell them you look forward to the compnay getting back on it's feet and would very much like to re-join the team when the opportunity arises, because when the economy picks up they may be hiring again and you want to stand out in their minds.

Also remember, this is an agonizing decision for them too - especailly your friend. He/she is probably very nervous over what the reactions will be. Leave with your head up and a smile on your face

Then, have your meltdown, because being laid off is scary, get a latte and hit the unemployment office. BTW when I was laid off I kinda enjoyed the time I had to re-connect with family and friends, got some major projects done at home and had a nice chance to fall back and rethink my life. In the long run it was a blessing in disguise - even though money was tight.

We are waiting with baited breath - let us know what happens.

((((HUGS)))
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
As a manager, I would wait it out. Office friendships can be so hard but please consider the trouble she could get into for telling you.

I wish you all the best!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  09:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I am more convinced that I am making the right choice by waiting it out and not putting my friend in an awkward position.
What a gift you all are! I feel like you've all sent me the best hugs today and I really needed them!
I have "swept my side of the street", meaning my office is clean, my personal items are packed and all my business is in order "just in case". I am clear that I don't want to leave but I am prepared. Worst case scenario, I'm ready and the leaving will be swift, best case scenario I have a really organized office!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the wait it out, especially with tomorrow being the day...if it were going to be in a week or more I'd probably consider asking. I hope that it works out for the best for what you need!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  10:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Linda - I hope that it turns out the best for you in this situation. That is good that you have your stuff packed "just in case" but hopefully it will all mean that you have an organized and spiffy cleaned office for yourself.

*Hugs* to you and your family. I hope for the best in this situation for you.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone else. I also wish you the best in this situation and I'm sending you big hugs! :D

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  3:34:10 PM  Show Profile
I'd wait it out too.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  7:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I agree with "wait it out". This could put your friend in such an bad position. A few more days, and everyone will be in the know, while friendships were never put on the line.

(((hugs)))

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  10:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I have this deep feeling that no matter what happens, I'll be ok. I heard a saying that "We don't get what we desire, we get what we believe" and I really do believe/know that I am taken care of. That I am never alone and that all will be well.

Thanks so much for your kindess and feedback. It really helped me today!

I'll keep you updated with what happens tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  12:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I too agree with waiting. It is an act of kindness toward your friend in not placing her in an awkward position. Thanks for being so thoughtful to her! You are right, all will be well. God's will is not always our will, but it is always what is the best for us.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Have you heard any news yet? I keep forgetting that you are several hours behind me. Praying for good news for you.

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:58:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I am certain that with the positive attitude you have things will work out for the best for you! Good for you for being ready for whatever and keeping your wits about you through all of this. I wish you all the best in this next chapter of your life and I'm here for you if you need to chat or anything!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda,

I know how this feels. Being laid off, even in the best circumstances is tough, scary, frustrating, and painful. But having a positive attitude really helps. Take a day or few to yourself and keep your eyes open to opportunities. Maybe there is something grand looming on the horizon for you and it just needed this opening in your life to swoop it!

Lots of hugs!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm so sorry, but I'm hoping for all new doors to open for you! It will be an adjustment, certainly, but I just know--even though this is a tough year economically--it's going to be alright for you and your family.

J

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Alee!
I've called all my agents and put out the word already.
The 83 yr. old woman that I assist just called me and we got very weepy. I am grateful for her and her humor and generosity. I recieved many gifts in this position and I am trying this moment to focus on my gratitude. It is hard being a Personal Assistant to 9 people but I did a really good job of it and have a lot of pride in how I presented and conducted myself!
Onward and upward!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Elizabeth, I really appreciate your kind words and lovely support!

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  4:38:04 PM  Show Profile
I hope that new doors will begin opening for you real soon. hugs, Tina

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  4:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Ugg. I know the situation can be frustrating and maybe a bit scary, but I am wishing you all the best and I have a feeling that you will find something just as good, if not better! You have alot of folks rooting for you Linda!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  5:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda - I am going what you are going through being let go from a company as that is the situation I've been since right before Christmas. If you ever need any help, advice, anything, please let me know. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts