Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Brandi
Bothell WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  12:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
My name is Brandi - I am new here... I live in Bothell, WA - a suburb of Seattle. Obviously I have not obtained my dream farm yet

I have known Findyourspot.com for quite some time (I noticed a few of you discussing it) and mine always says I should living in western North Carolina. Funny, I have only been to the east coast once in my life and that was to New York City!

When I started reading your posts here I noticed a few people who are in Kentucky, Tennessee (sp?)and Missouri I am interested in your take on these places as well as Western North Carolina (how can findyourspot go wrong) My questions first and foremost have to do with weather, schools (I have an autistic 7 year old plus a 4 and 3 year old), and simply the "feel" of the place. The weather here is fairly mild and I think I could get my husband to move if summers were hotter and winters even milder. We are looking for at least 10 acres, fully set up, buildings ect.. for under $400,000

Thank you for your help - I look forward to hearing what you think.

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello Brandi, My husband and I just moved onto our farm and are trying to get things done...I love being out here. We live in Plainville Ga which is in the middle of Rome and Calhoun. The weather is great here and the winters are pretty mild and summers are warm...the season is longer for growing. You could get a farm about the size you are looking for and the price probably cheaper than what you can pay.

Chat soon
Deborah Rabon

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Brandi, I'm in eastern VA (Surry County) and the summers are rather hot and the winters are very mild.

I used to teach in the public school system and we worked with many kids with special needs.

As far as price, now would be a good time to buy something! There is a house and 40 acres (mature pines) across from us selling for $495,000 - and many people here consider that way, way overpriced.

If you have any questions about my county, just email me! :)

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

April
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

April
Knoxville TN
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brandi. I live in Knoxville, TN. I have lived here all of my life and like it. The only way that I would ever move would to be near the ocean. Hopefully, in the near future, my family too will be moving to a small farm, a county outside of Knoxville. You can find what you are looking for in your price range, if not cheaper in the outlying counties.

April~
www.abbysweets.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brandi!

This is off your topic, but I just wanted to invite you to join our Farmgirl Chapter out in Carnation, just about 35 minutes from you. We've got ladies coming from all over, and our next meeting is Sunday, March 30 at 2:00. If you want more info, email me (click the little letter icon right above my message. We're a new group (this will be our second meeting) but its a great group of ladies about 20 strong already and growing!
Love to see you there,
Emme

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  11:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Brandi, I live in sorta central KY.iT IS ONE OF THE BEST LITTLE PLACES LEFT IN THE WORLD TO LIVE. crime is low, cropland super,taxes are low,It is one of the best places left in the world to live, We have alot of western people moved here. You could probably find 100 acres here for around 150--200, Let me know if you are serious I know where there is around 50 acres for sale

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  8:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm a sucker for Kentucky and Indiana, and I believe that FOR SURE you can get something wonderful for under $400k.

The autism thing is key...Northern Kentucky is a "tri state" area, with farms and proximity to Covington (where there is an Autism art/social school) and Cincinnati, Ohio where there are many programs and schools for autism. You could easily be to either one of these areas in 25 minutes depending on where you might reside in the "rural" tri state area.

I'm crazy about Kentucky, for sure, and have seen where Miss Wilma lives...gorgeous, and homey, and very close to Nashville :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  10:03:12 PM  Show Profile
brandi .. green county, kentucky is wunnerful wunnerful! if you are thinkin' of moving here .. come out for a visit .. you can stay here at our little 'farm' .. and i'll be happy to show you around .. take you to the schools .. meet our precious mayor .. introduce you to fantastic friends .. see what we are all about! i love and adore it here!

xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  4:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Brandi,

Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY, offers wonderful resources for children and adults who are autistic. The school is well known for its research that has been done concerning autism.

Any area of Kentucky would be a wonderful place to live. Having grown up in western KY by Ky Lake and Barkley Lake I am attached to the area. Central Kentucky offers more of the amenitities that most people think of when they are talking about Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky is a really beautiful area with the mountains. What can I say other than any area of Kentucky is like a slice of heaven.

Donna...true blue KY farm girl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

NWGirl3
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Brandi
Bothell WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  7:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all the replies! I checked out all of the areas suggested. I found NW Georgia very interesting - my cousin lives in Savannah, but I never gave much thought to the mountains in that state and Surry County VA looks like a historical dream (um...I was a history major in college). I appreciate the info on autism resources in KY and of course the offer to come visit! Watch out - I just might take you up on that Frannie (: We wouldn't be ready to move for about 2 1/2 years, but this has definately given me something to think about. And, Miss Wilma, is your town really called "Knob Lick"? Is there a story behind that?
Blessings to all!
Go to Top of Page

mommato4
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Christy

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  9:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brandi!!
I don't think you can go wrong in Missouri!!! That's where we live...the saying around here is..."If you don't like the weather, don't fret, tomorrow it will be completely different". We love it here!!! Mild winters (usually) and beautiful summers!!! The cost of living here is low. Good luck on obtaining your dream farm!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!
Christy

http://oursimplelives.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  12:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brandi - We live in the beautiful mountains of South East TN. I love the location 2 hours to knoxville tn - 2.5 hours to Nashville - 1.5 hours to Chattanooga TN - 5 hours to the beach. This part of the country is where the Appalachian, Cumberland and Smokies all kind of collide together. We get 4 seasons with a long growing season. Lots of lakes and rivers for kayaking and camping. The other great thing is pricing. You can get 5 acres for around 25,000.00 - That's with electricty and water!

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Perfect Place to Farm? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page