Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Any opinions/experience w/home insulation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any opinions/experience w/home insulation? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  05:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, we have the first step in HVAC at our farmhouse. Now, we need to insulate, insulate, insulate. And we need to get it right. The furnace contractor is pushing something called 'Icynene' which is sprayed in/on and then hardens. It looks good as far as no outgassing, no chemicals, etc. But now I find out that there are different kinds of spray in stuff and some is 'open cell' and some 'closed cell'????? And Icynene is petroleum based...so I don't know if it's possible to be green and save energy? It's hard to do an internet search, because the websites are pushing some product and you only get their opinions of their own stuff. Whew! This is going to be a long and difficult process. Does anybody have any experience with house insulation? Opinions????? Help meeeee.....please.....

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile
When i had the old shed connecting my house and barn torn down, I had a big structure built with my sewing studio overhead. The builder used the spray in stuff that hardens and it is amazing, much better than the old pink stuff or the blown in who knows what from years ago. That part of my house is in much better shape and much warmer than my house. Of course I just noticed this winter that my storm windows are literally falling apart...It is always sort of terrify to view the bottom line on some of these home improvements, but I would say get the best you can afford. Years ago I lived in a post and beam house that was well insulated and we got a soapstone woodstove that weighed 800 pounds and we could heat our whole house with five cords of wood. This was back when wood was cheap and I was younger and stronger and could keep up with a woodstove. Jeez that wasn't any help was it, sorry I tend to blather on, Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's okay, Karin. I need and welcome any/all opionions/input. I'm glad to get a first hand report about it being warmer. I've had the blown in stuff from years ago, too. And I think it was newspaper that was coated and it started out nice and fluffy, but it settled over time and there went it's r value. :(

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I watched a show on a Discovery channel about Green building techiniques and the insulation they used was an insulation made out of recycled denim!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/ultratouch_recy.php

And a Spray based one endorsed by HGTV
http://design.hgtv.com/bath/Video_detail.aspx?id=954

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any opinions/experience w/home insulation? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page