Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's on YOUR menu this week???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's on YOUR menu this week??? Next Topic  

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  6:06:56 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering what everyone else has come up with as far as dinners for the week. I have a list of meals but Im curious to know what everyone else is eating. Maybe I can get inspired : )

I have,
Chicken Quesadillas
Homemade Pizza
Chicken stirfry w/ veggies
Bcaon egg and cheese Quiche
Enchiladas
Shrimp Fettucine
Sloppy Joes
Bahamma Mama Pork
Baked Chicken strips w/ sweet potato fries(baked)
Banana filled French Toast
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Chili DOgs

Good luck finding any kind of HEALTH nut food on here. I do what I can with what I've got. I do try to bake things instead of fry ( I hate frying food) and use as many fresh ingredients as possible but with chili dogs and french toast, the closest I get to fresh is fresh BREAD... : )

Check out my latest projects and all the news from my chaotic little world!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  6:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Let's see. I have a new diet since I have reflux so heres this weeks menu.
Chicken,artichoke heart, sage sausage with asparagus and white rice.
Spaghetti with pesto for me, regular spaghetti sauce for hubbie
Turkey polsa keilbasa with steamed califlower and white rice.
Mild turkey italian sausage, with grilled asparagus and white rice
Chicken and apple sausage, with glazed carrots and steamed cauliflower
Baked tilapia with dill and lemon, broccolli and ginger glazed carrots
Grilled Salmon, white rice and salad with asian ginger dressing.

I'm having a tough time with this new diet of NO red meat, no caffine, no soda, no cheese, no tomato sauce, no citrus, no fatty foods or fried foods. I miss meatloaf and steak but my stomach and acid reflux is so bad that I have to real careful or I'm in a whole lot of pain.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Gourmet! My husband can only dream of a menu like that at our house : )

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  8:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Yellow chicken curry and tofu w/rice noodles
Swiss steak
Burritos with swiss steak leftovers
Best ever bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce from www.thepioneerwomancooks.com
salads, most likely one cobb salad, one asian salad
turkey chili
teriyaki yakisoba, likely chicken

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Mar 06 2008 08:05:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  8:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Monday was a very busy day for me so DD made potstickers with asian slaw and fruit.

Tues was baked chick (homegrown) with baked potatoe and green beans with sauted mushrooms.

Wed leftover chick with rice and fruit.

Every other Thurs DD goes to her dad's house so I usually just nibble. Thurs I have a meeting that wont get over until 10pm, but the host will serve something so that will be dinner for me.

Fri to Sun we are at a show. I always bring a bag of fruit, a case of water and crackers. DD and I aren't much on junk food.

It's hard to plan meals during her show season, so we try to make it light and easy.
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  10:23:53 PM  Show Profile
I don't plan menu and never have. I am planning to freeze up some spaghetti sauce for 3 or 4 meals. I make chicken pot pies, Make my own cornbeef hash. I love to can. Love to make bread. Lord, know I want to make a decent pie crust, theres absolutely no hope. I love to fix salads.

debinmtns #63
http://debinmtnstradinpost.blogspot.com/
http://handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  07:04:37 AM  Show Profile
I plan sometimes but....I usually play it buy ear and see what's in the fridge/freezer, etc...
Sunday was Chili--that's what Justin wanted--I usually make a bigger Sunday dinner.
Monday night was homemade pesto, penne and sliced chicken breast sauteed in white wine
Tuesday night was homemade Smokey Chicken Tortilla Soup (YUM!)
Wednesday night--Jus worked a double so it was repeat Smokey tortilla soup for me!!!
Tonight? Ok, now I know--honey-lime glazed Salmon over corn and black bean salad
Tomorrow night? Um.....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Mar 06 2008 1:45:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Let's see....
Usually I work 12-9 so I have to leave something for my hubby to eat so he won't go out and eat fast food! Honestly!!!!
Sunday-Vegan enchilada bake
Monday-Vegan fettucine Alfredo
Tuesday-Baked butternut squash and stir fry with morning star farms fake chicken and veggies
Wed. I made fresh pinto beans,brown rice, tortillas-with all the fixings..avacado, salsa, lettuce...
I always have a big dark green leafy salad with all our meals!
Tonight....hmmm...still thinking!!! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile
Monday - Halibut, roasted red potatoes, asparagus, carrots
Tuesday - French toast, bacon, oj
Wed - Sandwiches at a local deli cause I had a dr.s appt in town
Thursday - Ribeyes, homemade french fries, salad
Friday - Seven Layer Tortilla Casserole and mexican rice
Saturday - Hubby will be gone all day so I may meet him in town to eat out.
Sunday - Roasted Chicken, mashed taters, stuffing, brussels sprouts

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  11:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Monday- peanuty chicken and veg stir fry with basmati rice
Tues - lemon pepper pork chops with boiled potatoes and corn niblets
Wed - Russian chicken on basmati rice with fruit salad
Thurs - homemade pizza (peppers/onions/salami) with fruit salad
Fri - Panzerotti (made thurs w/ pizza) with Caesar salad
Sat- Out for stepdad's 60th birthday
Sun - Roast chicken with roast potatoes and carrots, & broccoli

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Meg--What's Russian Chicken?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  5:24:26 PM  Show Profile
ugh! You girls are amazing! I really feel "outdone" here... I guess cooking isn't at the top of my list right now. I stay pretty busy with Abby ( I know, excuses excuses :)
Now, for those of you who DONT plan ahead...how do you do your shopping if you dont know what you're going to cook? Do you buy pretty much the same thig all the time or do you just pick and choose once you are at the store? Also, for those of you cooking those nice big gourmet style meals, do you have a huge grocery bill or do you have a secret to share??? Im curious how you guys do all that?

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah, most of the time, I don't know what we're going to have until lunchtime. Nothing really inspires me until then, for whatever reason. I usually base what I'm going to cook off of what I have in the house--we rarely have repeat meals--in fact almost never, unless it's pesto, chicken and penne (my husband's fave), and even then I have frozen (fresh) pesto that I've saved in individual cubes. On Monday night we may have that, and then on Saturday night, I may use another cube of pesto in Soup a Pistou (french vege soup with pesto). I always have a stash of chicken breasts trimmed and frozen in the freezer, and fish I buy fresh--the possibilities are endless! I also usually have everything on hand at the house veggie wise (long time keepers like potatoes, peppers, onions etc), frozen corn and peas, and if I need something extra for a recipe, I'll get it on my lunch hour at this great little grocery near my office. This week, I've maybe spent $8.00 outside of what we had at the house. When I hit Epicurious, or look through cookbooks, I usually look for recipes that have all or most of what I have-I omit if it's a little bit of an ingredient (like 1/4 tsp saffron--DUH) but overall, I'm able to stay pretty true to most recipes.

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  09:32:38 AM  Show Profile
*giggle* Russian chicken isn't as fancy as it sounds but the fella looovees it. It's chicken in a sauce made with russian salad dressing and my own homemade pear butter (apricot works too.) served over rice.

All these menus are great inspiration- keep posting ladies :)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile
I "collect" spices and have so many, I have to put them in alphabetical order. I got so many by tryin gto cook asian and indian. I keep meat in the freezer, and buy up lots of asian staples like rice nookles, coconut milk/cream, I don't actually set in stone what's for dinner, I just think about what needs to be used up, and try to make it good. I don't really like bland things, like say regular old pork chops, or roast. Also I end up getting on a kick, like Swiss steak, I've never had it unti l about two weeks ago, when I made it...spicy ala rooster sauce. Now I am making it once a week, until I find something new that I really like. My grocery bill is pretty high because I buy a lot of spices and specialty items, and good cuts. Asian/Indian items are super expensive in North Idaho, I am a sucker for spendy simmer sauces, being lazy, I mean...I have a baby now. No really, when you have a baby it's hard to not love him up for two hours while you make hum bao, asian steamed dumplings. When I lived in Seattle, it was the cheap way to eat. I am addicted to cookbooks and new recipes, which can end up costing you. I am like Jonni, and have to leave out saffron and keffir lime, but hey...it's not on the spice trail, but Idaho is the most beautiful place.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  6:33:10 PM  Show Profile
I tried a new recipe tonight and it was really good. I'll put it on my blog in a few minutes. It's just an easy quick pork recipe for a busy night..check it!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's on YOUR menu this week??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page