Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Has anyone read "Chosen By a Horse" by Susan Richa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Has anyone read "Chosen By a Horse" by Susan Richa Next Topic  

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  10:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I read this book last summer and passed it on to a friend.I would love to talk about it with anyone who has read it. I highly recommend the book whether you're "into" horses or not...it is a well written, easy to read, lovely story of a wounded woman who finds healing in loving a wounded horse. Awesome story!

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  2:24:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to look for that book next time I'm at the library. Thanks for spreading the word, this is just the time of year for an inspiring book.
Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile
I actually just got it from the library along with about 8 other books. If I get around to reading it anytime soon, I'll let you know :)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  5:19:03 PM  Show Profile
I have read that book. A friend of mine loaned it to me because she knew I love horses. It has been a while, but I would enjoying 'chating' with you about the book
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Linda-

As an avid reader and newly into "memoir" genre, I was really touched by the way Susan wrapped her story around the story of this horse that she adopts. I love that she says she didn't want a horse with such a lackluster name, but how in the end she found a horse that was so much like herself, that she could sense her own fears and inadequasies in this horse. It was almost like telling the horse's story was easier for her, but in the end she told her own story.

I learned a lot about horses, and found that they are so much more real than I ever imagined. I didn't think that a horse could HAVE a story, especially such a touching one!

Do you have horses??

CArrie

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  08:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
I have this book, It will prob. go into the shelves of my bookstore. I loved the story but I cried I know I'm a sap but I have an 19 yr old QH and we dont know much about his past history, he was stalled at a barn for 5 yrs after his owner past away and was only out for little bit at a time and the living relatives never cam to see him so he was feed by the barn owner and didn't do anything else. he wasn't in bad shape mind you, just sad looking and now you should see him, treats everyday..brushing and kids loving him! Anywho, we talked about taking in a another horse after reading this book but I'm not sure if I could take it

My Etsy.com Storehttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5531954
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  9:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendation-I just put a hold on it at the library. I'm a horse lover-Sounds like a tear-jerker.
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  11:04:44 AM  Show Profile
Heather-

I cried (I always do!) reading the book too but didn't mind too much as it was such a wonderful story and I just felt so much love for that horse and for the author--her opening her heart to the horse even though she knew it would hurt. I've been a little nervous about getting a dog because I lost my boxer suddenly then got a French bulldog and because of an allergy had to find a new home for her. My heart is so broken and as much as I want another dog I just didn't think I could take losing another one. But this story made me feel like, hey, it's better to have the love and companionship and know that it isn't forever (we all have to go someday) than to not know the love and companionship at all. I guess it really is worth it in the end. That's what I took away from "Chosen by a Horse".

Good luck with your QH--sounds like he is in heaven!!!

carrie M

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Has anyone read "Chosen By a Horse" by Susan Richa Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page