Bester
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Esther
Dakota City NE
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  08:39:25 AM  Show Profile

I had a recipe for zuchinni apple butter for years and now I can't find it to save my life !(not that the zuchinni care,they just keep piling up) If anyone has it would you please let me know asap ? I know I put the zuchinni in the blender till it was applesauce consistency and then poured into the roaster with spices like cinnamon,nutmeg,sugar,allspice and cooked it for hours on low. it made tons of jars and was SO good....

Don't let your today eat up your tomorrow...

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Esther, I found this recipe at this website: http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/zucchini-squash-recipes/mock-apple-butter-recipe.htm

I have no idea how one would can this one. Would it be considered a low acid food that needs a pressure cooker?

Mock Apple Butter

4 c. zucchini puree
1 tsp. lemon juice
4 tbsp. vinegar
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of allspice if desired
2 drops red food coloring

Peel and seed zucchini and chop and put in blender with vinegar and blend until smooth. Pour into saucepan and cook all together. Stir occasionally until mixture reaches desired thickness. Cool and keep refrigerated.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bester
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Esther
Dakota City NE
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Would the lemon juice and the vinagar be enough to preserve the zucchini in this recipe ? I was thinkin (there's the problem)..if you canned it for like 10 minutes in a water bath, enough to seal the lids.. would that work ?

Don't let your today eat up your tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:52:17 PM  Show Profile
You may want to call you local county extension. They would probably be able to tell you. I think I will call my on Monday as I have pile of ZUkes that need to be used. As apples are scarse this year this is a great option. Hey, what about freezing it? HMMMM

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Zuchinni apple butter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page