Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Coconut Bread and Bannana Bread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Coconut Bread and Bannana Bread Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies:

Do you have any great recipies for either of these?

Thanks

Alee

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:00:26 PM  Show Profile
I have a great recipe for banana-coconut bread! I made this once and it's delicious.

Yellowman's Banana Lime Bread
From Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

Batter
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
3 tablespoons milk (or plain yogurt)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup unsweetened grated coconut, toasted (toast grated fresh coconot on an unoiled baking tray and toast in a 300 degree oven or toaster oven for less than a minute. The book says it burns easily, so be vigilant)
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Glaze
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon rum (I left this out and it turned out fine)
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Topping
1/4 cup unsweetend grated coconut, toasted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf pan.
To make the batter, in a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Stir in the eggs, bananas, milk or yogurt, and lime juice. Add the salt, ginger, and grated coconut and mix well. Sift the flour and baking poweder to gether in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix them until smooth. Pour the batter into the buttered loaf pan and bake for an hour, or until a knife inserted in the cetner comes out clean. Cool the bread for about 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.

Meanwhile, for the glaze, combine the brown sugar, butter, rum, and lime juice in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until it becomes a thin syrup. Pour this glaze over the loaf, spreading it with a spatula or spoon to coat the top and sides. Sprinkle toasted grated coconut evenly over the glazed loaf.

Also, there's my husband's aunt's recipe for chocolate chip banana bread, which she got from a friend of hers. This recipe is delicious and much less complicated, but it doesn't use coconut.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

3 bananas (1c)
2 eggs
stick marg.
tsp vanilla
2.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp bkg soda
.25 tsp salt (if unsalted marg.)
1.25c sugar
2.25c flour
choc chips

Beat together all ingredients except chocolate chips. Add chocolate chips.

spray pan w/Pam

bake at 325 from 45-70 min based on pan material, depth (about 70 minutes for standard 9 X 5 loaf pan)

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:11:20 PM  Show Profile
I also have (or used to have?) a great recipe for banana bread with toasted coconut. I will see if I can dig it out and post it.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh!! Those recipes sound so good, I printed them out so I can try them. Thanks Ivmeer!!!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:36:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe for a creamy banana bread that is really good, doesn't have coconut in it but I don't see why you couldn't add it.

CREAMY BANANA BREAD

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
Cream the butter or margarine and cream cheese together. Gradually add the white sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, and soda; mix until batter is just moist.
In a small bowl, mix together chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Divide 1/2 batter into two greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over batter in pans, and top with remaining batter.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Coconut Bread and Bannana Bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page