Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Packaging Lettuce at Market?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Packaging Lettuce at Market? Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  2:39:49 PM  Show Profile
One thing I'm planning to offer at market this year is baby lettuce mixes. Our market here doesn't start until May, and I was just looking to see if I wanted to start some edible flowers so I could add petals to the mixes, when I realized I'd need some kind of produce bags.

I'd like to use something eco-friendly if at all possible...how do you ladies do it?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  3:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Could you have bowl out for a visual sample and then package in brown paper bags?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee. Also, there are certain package companies online that sell "green" containers for things. They might be pricier than your standard "plastic" bags.

Another thought: I have a farmer's market friend who gives out plastic shopping bags, but has a huge sign that says she will TAKE BACK any plastic bags, and actually does take them back and either sends them to recycling, or uses them again...

Just a few suggestions

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  3:29:56 PM  Show Profile
Won't the lettuce dehydrate really quickly in paper bags, though? I wonder if they make bigger sizes of the waxed paper sandwich bags...
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  4:12:05 PM  Show Profile
from a market garden board I found this info:

The way I would get the micros to last longer was to not make a mix, but pack each item alone in a pint container the same size as you see in the grocery store for alfalfa sprouts. Put a paper towel, the blue shop towel works well, in the bottom of the container. The container needs to have holes in the bottom. Spray the inside of the container until towel is nice and wet. Pour out excess water. Cut micros and place stem down and pack that way until the container is nicely packed, about 2 or more ounces. Place a damp paper towel on top and put a lid on. It takes a little practice to pack micros this way.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  04:40:29 AM  Show Profile
When I sell lettuce, although I havent done micromixes, I put them in a shallow tupperware container with enough water on the bottom to keep the lettuce fresh and unwilted. Try to keep them in a shady spot on your table if possible. When you sell them, you can wrap them in paper towels, or the blue shop towels that are dampened. Then the customer can either choose a plastic bag or a market bag, if they bring their own. Many are starting to do that at my market now.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah,
I grow a Certified Organic Salad greens and herb mix commercially. I use a 100% cellophane bag made from farmed cotton wood trees. The bags "breath" so that the mix lasts well and the goodies are visible. I buy my bags from Pak Sel inc. www.cellobag.com they are based in Portland Or.
Hope that helps!

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  02:53:22 AM  Show Profile
There's a gal on Etsy.com who sells reusable mesh bags. Don't know how economical that would be for you, but repeat customers could just bring back the original bag to be refilled.

Here's her store:
remarket.etsy.com

http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/

The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Packaging Lettuce at Market? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page