LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  10:23:08 PM  Show Profile
I realize that a lot of you probably have avoided this problem by not using anything hazardous in your homes, however, I am new to trying to have a safer, more natural home. Needless to say, my husband and I have developed quite the collection of old paint (latex & oil based) among other things. We even moved a lot of it with us when we moved into our new home, including things left to us by the previous owners of our previous home to keep from doing the same awful thing to the people who bought our old house. I'm just tired of having it around and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get rid of it safely. The latex paint I've decided to start putting on walls, mostly in closets, just to use it up and not have to get rid of it. There's still a lot I won't be able to put on walls and it's got to go.

Any suggestions on what department to call and ask?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  06:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Also, check with your local paint stores. In our area, they accept old paint for safe disposal.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  06:52:00 AM  Show Profile
Laura: Try looking up a Hazardous Waste recylcing site in your area using Google. Here's an example from Michigan: http://co.livingston.mi.us/SolidWaste/hhwSchedule.htm
In my area there are a few times a year where the station is set up in a Park N Ride in my town. They take paint and all kinds of stuff. The paint is usually recycled. Also, with paint when there is just a small amount left in the can, we are told to let it evaporate until dry and then put the can in the garbage.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I did let the one can of paint I used up in a closet dry out before putting it in the trash can. I had been told that by my sister who is in the environmental testing field, I'm glad that the recycling places are confirming that advice.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic hazardous material disposal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page