Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 need a handmade gift idea for a 1yr old boy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic need a handmade gift idea for a 1yr old boy Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:15:41 AM  Show Profile
my nephew is turning one and I want to make him something for his bday. Any ideas?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
How about some soft alphabet or number blocks? You could make them any size and just stuff them with some polyfill. He couldn't hurt himself on them and they can even be washed when dirty. or maybe one big block made out of some alphabet patterned fabric and put a few jingle bells inside for fun. Just a thought..

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:19:37 AM  Show Profile
i make primary and secondary color shape pillows for all the 1 yr old we know and stitch the name of the color on one side and the name of shape on the other, then make a drawstring bag to hold them with appliqued shapes on the outside that correspond with the little pillows. kids love them. and it doesnot take very long to make a great gift.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:26:21 AM  Show Profile
I made soft blocks for Christmas and he loves them. Jessica do you have a picture? I can't quite visualize it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:32:18 AM  Show Profile
umm..let me look, i could send you the templates. they are smallish...8 inches or so each in different color broadcloth, quilting cotton solids, you know. when john gets home i will look for the pics on his laptop as i believe if i have pics of them they will be on there.

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:38:43 AM  Show Profile
Cute idea Jessica! Anything sensory - different textures, colors etc. is developmentaly appropriate for a one year old. You could use Jessica's idea in the form of a cloth book with different textures on each page too.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:42:59 AM  Show Profile
yes...there was a family at the hospital i was at when my dad had surgery 2 wks ago, and i took one of the kids under my wing as the mother was the one having surgery and we made a very small felt book that had neat stuff on each page. I had an abundance of felt with me because I was working on felt pins for the felt pin swa. They can turn out really cool.

Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile
My 18 month old son LOVES his cloth books (almost as much as I love them, since they can't be ripped and can be washed in the machine) and his waldorf baby -- it's the "star" shaped kind with no clothes and a bell in it's cap.

The knit fruit/veggies are a big hit here too -- with the toddler and the preschooler; I'm constantly being offered exotic dishes of "soup" and "ice cream" ("it's pepper ice cream, mother").

Pretty much anything you make is great at this age. Toddlers will play with whatever and have a blast!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  7:44:43 PM  Show Profile
I made my grandson a city and race track quilt, he spreads it out on the floor, his bed and drives his match cars on it. He loves it and carries it everywhere to play with. He has even taken it to the beach. It comes print on fabric and you just quilt it together.

debinmtns #63
http://debinmtnstradinpost.blogspot.com/
http://handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com/

Edited by - debinmtns on Feb 29 2008 7:46:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile
oh you know i did that with a cookie sheet, painted a street scene on it and the kids could take it everywhere and boy they did! I have not seen a panel like that. I will have to keep my eyes open for it!

By the way I cannot find a pic anywhere. I will keep looking maybe I will sketch it out and pop it up later if I cannot find it.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile
thanks jessica

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic need a handmade gift idea for a 1yr old boy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page