Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any Smockers out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Smockers out there? Next Topic  

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  7:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I haven't smocked in a long time! A friend just had a little girls so I have pulled out my smocking machine and plan on making a dress. I smocked when my girls were small and love it. I have a dress that my Mom smocked for my cousin's little girl. It then was worn by my 3 girls, and my sister's 2 girls. It is now waiting for granddaughters. It has become a precious heirloom.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  8:26:33 PM  Show Profile
That is something I have always wanted to learn...I am actually surprized I never persued it. Sounds like fun and is just beautiful..up until 2 years ago when we adopted our two daughters all my kids were boys and so it is just more appealing now, and of course I have the most beatiful 3 year old granddaughter in the world too..so I should learn!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  09:56:21 AM  Show Profile
It really is rather simple. If you know how to embroider you are half way there. Having my pleater machine is nice as I don't have to pleat the fabric by hand. WIth this dress I will be making, I am going to add some seed beads. Have never done that before, and with my love of beads it should be fun to do. I am looking forwaard to smocking some day for grandbabies.I am hoping to hear news that one is coming soon, I hope!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  11:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Ooh! I am trying to learn, too! I just ordered smocking dots this week. When they get here I am going to start on a bonnet for my little girl (like a Poke Bonnet). She loves to wear her other bonnet, so this will be her fancy one. I am amazed how many smocking plates are out there. They are CUUUTE! I have the book _Classic Clothes for Children_ that has a basic tutorial for smocking, and I am trying to come across a copy of A-Z of Smocking (I can't justify $40 to have it shipped from Australia).
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  10:56:19 AM  Show Profile
AnnieT, nothing cutier than a little girl in a bonnet. My girls use to wear them. there is a magazine called SEW BEAUTIFUL that might be worth looking into. They do a lot with smocking. I no longer have my plates, don't know why, but I have a couple of out of print smocking books that I could copy from and mail you if you would like.

Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Julia, that would be wonderful! Thank you! I'll email you privately. -Annie.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:25:04 AM  Show Profile
Okey-dokey Annie!

Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:16:22 AM  Show Profile
My garandmother made a smoocked dress for me when I was in about first grade or so. I wore it thin, patched it and finally had to give up when the shoulders broke out! I learned to smock for my girls and now they are too grown up for it :-( But I hope to get out my pleater in about five years or so when grandchildren make the scene.

Happy smocking,

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  2:41:49 PM  Show Profile
AnnieT, your plates are on the way with your charm squares, too!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Smockers out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page