windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4237 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4237 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  04:35:23 AM  Show Profile
What is the point of felted bars of soap?
I have seen them, and how to make them, but wondering what is the use of them. Are they for looks, or use them in place of a wash rag? I have been wondering this for a while and finally thought I would ask

Michele

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile
i've never heard of such a thing??? are you talking about soap that is wrapped up in a piece of felt??
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
hmmm that's interesting never heard of that! Is it like to make the soap lather and last longer...if it seeps out? Or just for looks. I want to know now too Michele haha!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  08:13:52 AM  Show Profile
I've seen them too and wondered what the purpose was. I would guess maybe it was in place of a wash rag but it seems like it would hold bacteria. I don't know!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  10:17:53 AM  Show Profile
I must say I was intrigued by this, so I did a little searching online, and this is what I found:

Taken from http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/14WNUJIORAMYD

"Uh . . ." you say, "Why would I want to cover a bar of soap with felt?"

An excellent question. Some answers, among many: it looks great, soft and artistic and touchable; makes a fantastic inexpensive gift out of a simple bar of soap (no one doesn't love it!); keeps soap from sliding about in bath: easy to grip and stays on holder or ledge; slightly rough wool defoliates the top layer of your skin, making it young and shiny; fun-to-make project for kids.

if you're interested in doing this, I also found a tutorial with great pictures of the process: http://www.mielkesfarm.com/felt_soap.htm

Hope this helps!!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  10:38:44 AM  Show Profile
I made up a batch of these last year and just loved them. I used round bars of homemade soap and covered them in pretty multicolored roving. I added a few colored threads & yarns to give extra interest. I thought they were artsy & visually interesting, plus felt nice to use. I think I even gave a few as gifts to farmgirls.

I guess the purpose is to make a little scrubbie for the kitchen, or even the bath. You wet them and they lather up well and kind of hold the lather...if that makes sense. They should be left where they dry out between uses, not in a soggy soapdish. I have an antique dish that has a built in drainer, so the air circulates. I throw the felted part away after the soap is gone. Some people cut them open and put a new bar of soap inside. Never tried that.

Oh Julie...I never thought about germs! Thanks for that! LOL

They were fun & easy to make...guess that's the little kid in me!

Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile
I have to say...I make soap and I spin/knit/crochet/weave/play with fibers and I don't quite get this...yes, they look cool, with different colors and/or textures but...I don't get it. I would rather sell someone a cotton knit or crocheted washcloth with a bar of handmade soap or a "soapkeeper" bag that is crocheted out of cotton... but I guess I'm too thrifty to think of throwing away the felted wool after the soap is gone...but, to each their own...and they are obviously popular with some folk...

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  12:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey Beth, I hate to say it, but I have to politely disagree with the "no one doesn't love it" (although I'm not sure, to your credit, that the phrase wasn't taken from the site you were accessing).

I don't love it; I got a gift of this maybe a year or two ago and developed a RASH from it because I have a degree of itchiness/allergies to wool, especially when it is wet. Oddly, I got the same reaction when I wore a wool hat out in the rain. So kids, make sure your skin isn't sensitive to wool before hand or it will not be pretty ...and you'd be amazed that some people will not correlate felt as being something made of wool.

Actually, if you are going for the whole "scrubby soap factor," they now also make soap with LOOFAH in it...hmmm....the things they do wit soap nowadays!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  6:34:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Farmtopia

Hey Beth, I hate to say it, but I have to politely disagree with the "no one doesn't love it" (although I'm not sure, to your credit, that the phrase wasn't taken from the site you were accessing).

Nope, those weren't my words, I've never tried the felted soaps... that was taken from the amazon website link which I found. I was just curious about them and found that quote. I have sensitive skin too, but not sure if it would be a problem for me, I live in wool sweaters in winter but have to have T-necks under as the itchies drive me crazy and still do sometimes even with the T-necks!! If you ask me, I'm sticking to my mesh sponge thingy which I can just throw in the washing machine with the laundry and I know it won't get funky!
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Since wool is naturally antibacterial it is hygenic so long as you are not allergic to the wool;)

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Hehe Beth, I sort of figured that might be the case with the quote...sorry about that...yes, I don't know about the soaps...they are definitely a different way to go, but I just wanted to throw that out there in case someone might have a reaction. Other than that, they seem interesting!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  12:33:28 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if crocheting a cover for the soap out of cotton fibers and closing it with velcro might be better. That way you can remove it to throw in the wash or even wash it by hand and eliminate the allergy problem. You could use all different colors and crochet stitches to keep it interesting. I have those scrubbie mittens for the bath and I like to slip the bar of soap inside one hand to keep the suds coming and of course they easily wash by hand and drip dry.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4237 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4237 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  05:34:22 AM  Show Profile
I am glad I was not the only one not understanding the purpose of a felted bar of soap. I did check out the web site, and thought the idea of reuing the felt after the soap was gone was a great idea. Making it into change purse, how cool. Well I don't know if I will try this project or not. I do like trying out new and different ideas!!!
MIchele
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  05:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
it is supposed to be a scrubby then afterward you are not supposed to toss it out but use the little piece of felt in a craft project. I have made them and hate them. They just look and feel like gooey mess to me.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can someone tell me???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page