Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Charm Square Kerfuffle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Charm Square Kerfuffle Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  8:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Well, in my crazy week of caring for elderly needs, readying for vacation, and all my other 10,000 projects and responsibilities, I caused what my Grandma used to call a kerfuffle (mess). My sincere apologies Farm Girls...so...

To the Farm Girls who got their lists and fabric and buttons, glad you liked them! Now I just cut as many squares of fabric and added as many buttons as I thought was fun. We didn't really set any number did we! I just had fun doing it.

To the Farm Girls who didn't make the first list...I had already mailed out the first list when many of you emailed. So I am making a second list, and will snail mail it to everyone.

Hope this helps quiet nerves and answer questions.The quilt block swap is still going to happen, and I will email the list I have compiled to Mary Jane's wonderful workers who have so graciously offered to take over. THANK YOU MARY JANE & COMPANY!!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  9:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, it was sure a nice Kerfuffle Diane. I appreciate all you have done so far!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  06:12:36 AM  Show Profile
hey diane-

love the card, the squares and the buttons-3 of my favorite things!!

have had a crummy week and your mail was one of the really bright things-thank you, thank you.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  09:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Let's take a TIME OUT, girls, and hang loose until further instructions arrive from the farm on the protocol of the list keeping... everyone take a deep breath. Thank you.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Sep 03 2005 09:32:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  9:42:52 PM  Show Profile
No problem, hon. Take your time. Hope you had a nice vacation, and some time to relax.
Annie.
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  09:10:29 AM  Show Profile
Diane,
We sure do appreciate your willingness to organize this thing. (Life is full of kerfuffles...I could win ribbons in kerfuffling!) We just did our best to keep the flow going in your absence, and we're SO glad you're back! Thanks for all you do! Hey, charm square girls...I mailed one packet to each of you...be watching your mailboxes this week! I don't know about you, but I just love anticipation!

Jane

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." ~ Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I do appreciate your ideas and what you have done to get this off and running! You are great!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  1:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Diane, your a button that keeps us all together!! Thanks for everything and sure hope you had a wonderful vacation!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art.....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Kudo's from me too Diane. Also to you Jane.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  8:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Diane-- Thanks for the fantastic start you got us on, your efforts are most appreciated! It's just fun, fun, fun and when was the last time you thought that walking to the mailbox?!!! Be well, hope vacation was grand!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Love of my life!!
Hey Ma!! I've finally started my own account. I'll leave you to your flaming glory!!
Don't forget to include me on all of this quilt swap. We talked about it a long time ago, but things have been kerfuffled lately eh? Call me!!!
Smooches!!

"We can do no great things; only small things with great love."
-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  9:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Diane, Not to add the kerfuffle, but while you were on holiday, Jane offered to send squares to me. I got them today, but now I read Clare's post to "hang loose". What should I do? Should I go ahead and send squares on to the gals on the list or should I wait? Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Edited by - Julia on Sep 06 2005 9:42:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  9:41:02 PM  Show Profile
I got a beautiful package of squares and buttons from Jane today too..thanks so much!!!! I am busy getting my fabrics picked out for you gals...I wondered if we can go ahead and send to the ones we have recieved from at least too...???

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  9:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jane for the square's and buttons. The fabric is beautiful and buttons are great. You're a sweetie!

Edited by - Julia on Sep 06 2005 9:45:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  05:01:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny & Julia,

I'm glad you liked your charm squares. I'm hoping the farm tells you it's okay to go ahead...that took some time, and I wouldn't want to be trying to package charm squares like I did and also be sewing quilt blocks for the swap coming up. It's nice to first do one, then the other...just my feelings. (Plus, we might be able to incorporate some of the charm square fabrics into our swap blocks...hmmm.)

Jane

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." ~ Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:15:16 AM  Show Profile
I too am cutting squares and adding buttons, but will wait to send till I read the go ahead??? I agree with Jane, it's easier to do one project at a time, can't wait to get started !!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Jane, I posted a big thanks to you on the charm Square Exchange topic!You're a sweetie!

Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:02:28 PM  Show Profile

Hi Diane, Jenny, Karen, Annie, Jane, MeadowLark, Sue, Julia, Holly and the rest of the farmgirls making Charm Squares,
Many thanks to Diane who has done a 'farmgirl fabulous' job of creating this wonderful project! Thank you Clare for keeping me on task in getting the apron strings tied around all the projects!!
I agree with Jane, it makes sense to finish the Charm Square exchange before starting the Quilt Block exchange. What do you think??
Please do go ahead and send your Charm Squares out to each other!! Once the creative energies are flowing they shouldln't be stopped for heaven's sakes! Now, I am not a quilter, but these Charm Squares sound like a lot of fun to make. I have quite a button collection that my husband's grandmother saved over the years. They are certainly works of art all on their own.
I will ask Diane to send me the existing mailing lists for the Charm Square exchange and the list for the Quilt Square exchange.
In the meantime, if anyone wants to join in the Charm Square exchange, please sign up on the Mail List at quilts@maryjanesfarm.org If you specify Charm Squares or Quilt Block Squares,(or both) I will be happy to keep track and add you to the list(s.)
If you have any other helpful hints, please let me know!! Thanks farmgirls!!
sunnily yours,

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:54:44 PM  Show Profile
Got my first squares this morning and buttons and the loveliest printed letter from Jane Hubner! I don't have a printer, so I'll do the neatest possible job by hand when I get mine done and go have it copied somewhere...or some such thing. I won't be getting back into town until next Monday, but I promise to get my squares and buttons in the mail then, along with the address list. Since my work schedule is Wed-Sat, about 12-14 hours a day, I'll probably sit down and get it all done Sunday. I'm so excited! Hey, if my 2 cents count for anything, I would like to wait on the block exchange until after the charm exchange. Or I might have to even forego the block exchange until the next round or two (if it's done more than once). Economic situation is increasingly tenuous with changes at the on-line company I work for, though I feel guilty as anything even saying that, knowing what the people on the Gulf Coast are going through. Anyway, I have the list of 11 people Jane sent me (with a 13th added to the back envelope) and I'll get them out Monday. Carol

I shoulda turned left at Albuquerque..Bugs Bunny
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  2:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Your 2 cents count CarolC ~ thanks! Have fun making and sending your Charm Squares!
I'm sure we can organize more than one Quilt Block exchange over time as many farmgirls will want to participate. Thanks for the input!

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  2:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Oops, I see a mistake in my posting. I meant I received 11 addresses and a 12th was added on the back of the envelope. Don't worry. If I get any additional addresses or lists, I'll make sure to send to all of them!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  2:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Since I am totally a novice on quilting ( I am clueless, I am learning this as I go) can some one explain what we do with the charm squares and buttons? Are we making quilt blocks to swap? I am a dunce where this is concerned, but ready and excited to learn and to start a quilt! Can someone also suggest a good beginners book for learning to quilt? The only thing I have ever quilted was a Christmas stocking for my daughter.

Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  2:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Me too, Meadowlark! Hopefully Diane or one of the other gals will be able to give us the scoop! I'm good at organizing round robin lists though!!
sunnily yours,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile
What a relief! I thought I was the only "novice" in the team and didn't want to say anything. I assumed since we were asked color preferences, that we keep the charms we receive. I honestly don't know if there is any goal to the charm exchange except to add to our own stashes and make it easy to put together a quick 6-inch-patch quilt (?) if we so choose. I was thinking the buttons were just an extra delightful bonus. If I'm wrong and there is an actual plan in place here, I'd like to know too!!! I'm just having fun, whatever it is we're doing! No kerfuffle, honest..just wondering and relieved to hear somebody else is kinda in the dark, too.

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  4:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everybody! I'd like to join in. I've read backwards but I'm still a little lost. Do you just make a 6" square and send it to the farmgirls on the list? Do you quilt it first? Please help. Thanks!

Utah farmgirl
(Patricia Schaller)

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  4:50:26 PM  Show Profile
The charm squares I received today were just fabric (I believe there were 7), cut in very precise 6 inches and on the bottom of the lovely letter with the addresses of everyone I need to send charms to, was 1 sizable button with 6 little ones circling it like a flower. It was the most charming charm packet I could imagine. Mine won't be nearly as attractive but it will be sent with enthusiasm! I might even stick a piece of some holiday fabric in just to make up for my lack of such a nice presentation! No quilting on these pieces. I know if you buy charm packets from fabric catalogs or quilt stores, they are just pieces cut to anywhere from 1 inch to 6 or so inches.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Charm Square Kerfuffle Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page