Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Adrenal Fatigue Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well,it is confirmed and I have a SEVERE case of adrenal fatigue. Medication is in my future, at least to get it corrected, but what natural therapies do you recommend? Vitamins? Foods? Certain exercises?

Thanks,

Tired,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad they figured things out, Heather. I've been thinking of you.

I wish I had advice, but I don't. Keep us updated on what you discover though and I really hope something helps!

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  08:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
ii bet you are a tired girl, so glad they have figured it out and help is on the way. i hate it when our bodies dont co-operate! here's hopin youll be feelin yourself soon. and please keep us posted on your progress, heather.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  08:06:27 AM  Show Profile
I did find this online.

http://www.project-aware.org/Resource/articlearchives/adrenalfatigue.shtml

"Treatment for adrenal fatigue is relatively simple. Lifestyle modifications can be initiated to treat this condition. Simple changes such as more laughter (increases the parasympathetic supply to the adrenals), small breaks to lie down, increased relaxation, regular meals, exercise (avoiding any highly competitive events), early bedtimes and sleeping until at least 9 AM whenever possible can all benefit those experiencing adrenal fatigue.

A diet that would be conducive to treating adrenal fatigue includes one that combines unrefined carbohydrates (whole grains) with protein and oils (nuts and seeds) at most meals—olive, walnut, fiber, flax and high-quality fish oil. It is also important for patients to eat regular meals, chew food well, and eat by 10 AM and again for lunch. Patients should look to avoid any hydrogenated fats, caffeine, chocolate, white carbohydrates, and junk foods. Diets should have a heavy emphasis on vegetables. It may be of additional benefit that patients add salt to their diet, especially upon rising and at least a half-hour before their lowest energy point of the day. (Preferably, 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoonful of sea salt, Celtic salt, or sea salt w/kelp powder added to an 8 oz glass of water). In adrenal fatigue, one should not follow the USDA’s Food Guide Pyramid, as these patients tolerate fewer carbohydrates and need more protein."

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Peanut and everyone...thank you so much!! I have been beyond exhausted...it is really something I cannot describe and only when someone has suffered from it do they understand. It is like a complete shutdown of my entire body and I am functioning on blinking low batteries. The doctor was so worried about me (hasn't seen a case this bad in years) that he was glad to hear I have been working on things as far as diet, more exercise, sun, I have been snacking on dates and almonds, TONS of water and my green smoothies. He is monitoring me for the next 2-4 weeks so make sure I don't need to check into a hospital for full treatment. Keep you fingers crossed!!

This is so serious, I skipped school today and I have a project due by 3 but I think this is way more important. I rather lose points than lose my life.... I have been looking up things online and what Peanut wrote is very similiar to what I found. What is eat is going to be key for me. I have been walking and doing some yoga, but the overiding exhaustion is what is killing me. So one step at a time. I am looking into getting back into swimming, as water has always been a relaxing therapy for me.

I have initiated being in bed by 9 P.M.- this has been helping. I also have been using my rice pillow over my eyes and sinuses-I heat it up and put a drop of lavendar on it and that has been doing wonders.

I am finding to treat myself better everyday- take the time to put on lotion and a little makeup and I am choosing clothes with color to perk up my mood. I am also learning to move at a slower pace. I used to rush around and make myself sick trying to get everything together. I am loosening the control factor and letting things be. DH and I have also been working on downsizing even more so we have more time for enjoyment, laughter, family fun.

I will keep you posted as I go...please keep the ideas and information coming.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Heather! Your story is my story!!!!! I was just diagnosed with the same condition 1 week ago!!!!! I get sooooooooooo stressed at times and my body just shuts down where I can hardly think or move. A little depression has set in with this due to not being able function. My husband has had to do most of the cleaning and cooking around the house because I have been sooooo exhausted!!! I have triggers that will set this off where I cannot control. I just got back from a 5 day Master's class sitting for 12-14 hours a day and it sent my anxiety into a frenzy.

People do not understand if they have not gone through this. My sister has also been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue recently. Our doctor injected cortisol into our blood stream and then took three blood samples. The doctor put my sister and I on Cortef, however I called today to have it changed. It made me dizzy, more anxious and just felt "out of my head" kind of feeling. She reduced the dosage and said that I could also take Licorice Root if that did not work. What are you taking? Any other suggesttions?

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  11:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Tricia- I am glad to hear you can get on the road to recovery!!! I have yet to start a medication- I am honestly afraid of medication- I have had some bad reactions 2 times before on some other hormones, so I am going the more holistic root right now. I still have a lot of research to do. I know the loss of control that you mention, it feels like life is still moving and you can't get yourself to function-brain-body-move...ugh..it can be frustrating. And when I would crash, I crashed hard. At least I have stepping off point now to work from and at least I know I am not crazy now.

Keep me posted on how you are doing!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  11:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I am not a big medicine person either. I decided to try the Cortef because I have been so desperate. However, it is not quite working for me. I am extremely sensitive to medication so I called my doctor today and she said to cut my dosage in half. If this does not work, she told me about the Licorice Root. I do not know the side effects to it yet so I will wait and see. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

Let me know any other updates you come upon or any other advice you come across. I need to work on my diet once again and make it a "clean diet" eating the things I know I should.

I go back next week for another check-up on this issue. I have a wonderful doctor! She will have some more insight as well.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  12:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Tricia- I hope you get everything sorted out.

It was just scary looking at the complete list of symptoms and I hit about 95% of them...but now I have an answer.

I will take medicine as a last resort but my last 2 experiences were so bad, I am really hoping to beat this down with holistic care.

I will post what I find.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  1:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Heather- Totally agree! Let me know what approaches you take through the holistic appraoch, I would be very interested myself. I took half dose of the medicine this afternoon and I am already feeling weird. I believe the conventional medication is not the answer for me either!

Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  3:09:16 PM  Show Profile
I checked a book out of the library called "adrenal fatigue" and it seemed to have a lot of information including a bunch of holistic stuff. Can't speak to its efficacy, but might be worth exploring.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  3:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information! I will check it out!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  6:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Dietary recommendations for Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome include:

Add ground flax meal to your diet since it contains healthy dietary fiber and omega-3 essential fatty acids.
Add extra virgin organic coconut oil to your diet to benefit from the saturated fat that can help stabilize blood sugar levels.
Add foods rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids to your diet in the form of fish oil, wild-caught salmon, minimal-mercury albacore tuna, and sprouted walnuts.
Add mineralized salt to your diet, especially upon rising (½ to 1 teaspoon mixed in water) and at least a half-hour before your lowest energy point of the day.4 Choose Himalayan crystal salt.
Eat lightly cooked animal and vegetable proteins (meat, fish, poultry, eggs, legumes). Read more about good protein and bad protein.
Eat dairy products with live, active cultures (probiotics), such as organic, unpasteurized yogurt and kefir (unless you are allergic to dairy).
Eat plenty of unrefined low-glycemic carbohydrates (brown rice, sprouted grains, winter squash).
Limit intake of fruits that have a high glycemic index such as apricots, raisins, banana, papaya, and mango.6
Eat plenty of vegetables and vegetable juices (kelp, sprouts, green and black olives, peppers, spinach, chard, celery, zucchini).
Add nutrient-dense and unprocessed foods such as sprouted nuts and seeds to your diet.
Drink purified water throughout the day.

This is pretty much the same information my doc gave me. I am going shopping tomorrow and I am going to spend the money on organics.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  7:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow Heather! You know your stuff! Good luck at the grocery store and buy as much organic as you can. I plan on using some of your advice upon rising in the morning. What does the salt actually do anyways?

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  7:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You know Tricia,I still need to research that part...but I will get back to you.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  9:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
just had to check in and see if there was an update on you,heather.
you mentioned a school project, and it seems if you are under a doctor's care they could just let you postpone your work until the doctor thinks it is okay for you to focus on school.
when i was in school, back in the dark ages, we could get a withdraw/passing with a doctors note and be able to make up the work we missed later.
anyway, i also wonder if you have read anything about yga, tai chi or meditation and what effect it might have on this.since they are not cardio, seems they might be good cause you wouldnt be burning calories, but still getting the effects of exercise.
i had graves disease and a goiter, with thyroid storms and in my case i ended up with a heartattack, several years ago. it went undiagnosed for a couple of years. if i could go back and do anything differently i would have tried to incorporate yoga or meditation, cause my thoughts were racing so much, i kinda thought i was goin nuts or something, maybe i wouldnt have been able to do meditation but i kinda think it might have helped.
anyway, i will continue to check on you and so glad your doctor figured this out.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  08:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Fran!!!

I am working on yoga and doing some meditation to fall asleep peacefully at night. It is tough going but I am sticking it out!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Adrenal Fatigue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page