Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  04:25:27 AM  Show Profile
I need info on how to do this. Like all those raw edges? Isn't this like a whole lot of turning under and pressing and hemming each piece? If you don't hem them isn't it called a rag quilt? You know I could look this up someplace, but I seem to do better with advise from those that have done it. I get lost when I read instructions.I get lost doing a lot of things, but thats another story. So I have small pieces of material, do I cut them up into puzzle pieces? Do I stick with my embroidery? What do I do?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  04:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Yes, if your raw edges are outside the quilt it is called Raw edges. Crazy quilting is where you embroidery along the the seam and edges are on the inside of quilt. You could embroidery on the inside of the block so the rag edges won't brother it. honey, basically its your quilt and you can do what ever you want. You can cut it into pieces of puzzles if you want. The raw edges quilt was design to quilt as you go. you cut 2 squares out at once and then cut batting one inch smaller than squares , insert batting in center, sew on the batting edge line to another block, sew the whole row, then sew rows together. I hope that clear as mud, right.

debinmtns #63
http://debinmtnstradinpost.blogspot.com/
http://handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile
I have an 1870's era crazy quilt of velvet and satins. The fabric edges are embroidered heavily, so they do not fray. Truly "scrap quilts", since the pieces are very irregular in shape and size. Many of the satins have shattered, but the embroidery is so beautiful it will never be a cutter in my lifetime. Signed and dated by a Campbell. I bought it in Ventura CA about 1980 for $50. Sounds like Miss Nancy is going to be learning more about quilts and that's a good thing :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:00:36 AM  Show Profile
I made a crazy quilt a few years ago for my dd. I'm not sure I can explain how I did it without confusing you even further though. I just took all the assorted pieces I had for it and sewed them to each other with right sides together. (I never worried about even seam allowances, as they were on the wrong side anyway. I just trimmed excess seams when it was finished.) Each piece was roughly the same size, but all shapes. I just placed a shape next to the edge I was working on, turned it up so right sides were together, and stitched it. I then clipped the seam allowance so it would lie flat, turned it down so the right side showed and continued on to the next piece. When it was all pieced, I pressed and squared it and then embroidered all the seams. Totally confused now?? lol
Di
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I can understand how to make both of them! You guys explained very well.
The raw edge quilt sounds great! Thanks Deb for explaining that...I can see myself trying that.
:-) good topic!

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile
OK, I'M STARTING TO GET THE IDEA, I'M a little well a lot slow!! Diane, did you sew yours by hand? I guess the pieces must overlap each other right? I guess I should just go get some material and start trying to do it. I know I could make one with squares but I like the idea of the crazy one. I just don't understand why you girls don't live near me, there isn't a day goes by that I don't need help with something.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  10:29:56 AM  Show Profile
I did both machine and hand piecing on it Nancy. Some pieces were just too difficult to wrestle with to fit in the machine, particularly as the quilt grew larger.
The pieces will have to overlap each other, otherwise you will have holes. :) That is what I tried to explain (poorly!) when I referred to seam allowances...they all don't have to overlap evenly as long as they overlap. Just sort of go by what looks pleasing to the eye as you attach pieces.
I made a raw-edge purse last year...called it my "ugly purse". It took every bit of self-discipline I had to even finish it. I have used it and gotten compliments on it...go figure. I still think it's ugly! lol

Di
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Wish we could see pictures of your quilts Lorij. Thanks for the encouragement.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  7:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Ronna,

I'd love to see a picture of your crazy quilt.

Steph
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  8:26:17 PM  Show Profile
Next time I get it out of the cedar chest, I will take photos. Poor thing had a hard life, think it had been nailed up one too many times over the years, as the corners are pretty raggedy. Funny thing is, I had it on layaway and kept talking about how wonderful it was. When I finally brought it home, I layed it face down for my "at the time" spouse and he just kinda looked at me like I was nuts. Then I turned it over and he did like it. We had it up in the bedroon for a long time and I've not displayed it since, so it's been stored for 13 or so years. I need to take photos of all my "good" quilts. Just got a big yoyo online and have a nice pastel cathedral windows on the back of the couch. The cutters are between the mattress and box spring of the beds, the good ones are on display or rolled in acid free tissue and old sheets in the cedar chest. Way too many, as with so many of my collections. Thankfully, my daughter shares my passion and I know they will be appreciated by her.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:16:41 AM  Show Profile
i don't log in much but i had to just put in my 2 cents worth. It was more then lickly the silks that shattered. Turn of the centery silks were sold by the pound and in order to drive up the price they weighed them down by putting metal in the silks. PLEASE take your stuff out of the ceder chest at once they are safer in a pillow case in the closet. THe oil in the wood will deteriate the fabric faster. i have been a quilter since 1980 and i have been part of a crazy quilt group in KC since 2002.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9398 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9398 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Cindi,
I have quilts that were made by my grandmother and great grandmother and they have always been stored in my cedar chest. It is cedar lined. In fact, the chest was my grandmother's so they have been in there many,many years and they are fine. I have never had anything get ruined by storing it in there. It is the safest place. At least I always thought so because that is where my grandmother kept them.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9398 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9398 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Debi and Diane,
Thanks for posting the directions. I have always wondered how these were done. I have never had the nerve to try it. I love to quilt and embroider. I'm not sure I know what you mean by embroidering the seams. I always thought they were just zig-zagged together by machine.
Anyone have a picture of the embroidering they could share. I am more of a visual learner so pictures are a big help.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:14:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy I thought I sent you a post on this, but I don't see it here so I'll try again. Crazy quilting is such fun, I usually make pillows or pincushions because they aren't too huge and that always helps. Judith Baker Montano has written several books on crazy quilts that are really helpful, lots of pictures of how to do it, I'm one of those people who does better being shown something than reading about it. I'll see if I can dig out a few pictures of my stuff and put hem somewhere where you can see them. Crazy quilting is the most forgiving sewing of all, you can always but a tiny applique or a button to cover any glaring holes. And the embroidery doesn't have to be terribly complicated to be effective. You're going to have lots of fun doing this, I look forward to seeing what you do...Karin
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  09:15:17 AM  Show Profile
karin,
Thank you, I ordered one of her books on a used book site, so thankyou for giving me her name. I need all the help I can get.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:21:37 AM  Show Profile
Have a look at this one Denise. I think it shows better than I can explain how the seams between patches are embroidered.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/art-69404/Woolen-crazy-quilt-made-by-Edna-Force-Davis-Fairfax-county

Di
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Diane,
That is so pretty isn't it? Wonder what the lady was like that made it?
NANCY jo

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  12:47:46 PM  Show Profile
I always wonder about the ladies too, Nancy. Wouldn't it be neat to be able to sit and talk to some of them about their quilts. I'll bet this one has many stories embroidered into it. I'm always amazed too, by some of their perfect workmanship. Some of those fancy embroidery stitches look machine done, and yet you know they can't be.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  5:51:15 PM  Show Profile
To address the cedar chest issue....I have lined it with old cotton sheets and acid free tissue. Quilts are also wrapped with acid free tissue, rolled instead of folded and put in cotton pillowcases. I do check occasionally and unwrap to air out and change any stress points. The Log Cabin my mother in law gave me was made of "the menfolks woolens" and I want to be sure it does not get moth damage.
Yes, it was the silks that shattered, which is common. It did not have an easy life, considering the nail holes in the corners where it was hung up. Still beautiful with so much embroidery and as with the rest of my textiles, I felt I was rescuing it.
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  8:19:36 PM  Show Profile
SO Ronna, where do you find all of these beautiful quilts- as well as the cutter quilts..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  04:19:41 AM  Show Profile
I didn't mean to step on toes about the ceder chest. I agree about Judith Monatanoo. She is the most famous and popular. Do a google on Crazy quilt. My fav mag is "art quilts" or "Cloth paper sissors".
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  04:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow...you sure know how to take care of quilts..I am learning alot. I have made a total of 3 quilts. I just have one folded and put in a pile with other blankets. I believe in using things as much as possible so the other 2 are out in use all the time. I am watching this topic...keep sharing!

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  05:21:53 AM  Show Profile
I guess I would have a different take on the quilt storage. I would want to have them out where they can be seen, to store them away forever is as if they were never made. I know they maybe wouldn't last as long. But whats long? I think who ever made them would want to show them off. I would just re-fold them to prevent the same creases to stay. And keep them out of the sun, and keep the dog off them.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Some winter when I have time I want to make a crazy quilt. I simply adore them and have never had the guts to start one on my own. thanks for all of the useful info ladies!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:50:47 AM  Show Profile
Annika, My suggestion- do a crazy mini quilt! They take no time to complete- that is the nice thing about mini's.. that is what got me interested in doing them. I have completed 2 in the last few weeks- could have completed more but I have been taking care of hubby and then got the flu.. yuk!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  09:08:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Debra, I didn't think of that. I could make a little table topper and I would really love that. I'm sorry about the flu, I hope you are better soon. Take care and rest when you can.
Blessings to you

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic CRAZY QUILTS???? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page