joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile
a table topper would be cute.. or place mats.. you could make them reversable and use good sturdy cottons. My sister has these great shabby chic place mats that are done crazy quilt style without all of the decorative stitching.
thanks.. I hope I am better soon.. on a positive note- I am down 4 lbs :-)

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
table topper is a great idea! I could measure my round table and make one to fit it. ya got me thinkin'

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  11:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Cindi, you didn't step on my toes and I know you were being helpful. The cedar can be very harmful to textiles of any kind. Only a few in there, ones I want my kids to know are family heirlooms, not the ones I've bought. Maybe I need to open it today and air everything out, while I'm thinking about it.
Debra, I've been collecting quilts for about 30 years. Got some in TN, when I was there visiting and then I'd send my sister $$$ to buy them for me. Some from a lady in OR who got them from a source in the south. Most from thrift shops over the years. A few online, including a big yoyo I just got last week. Two doll size came with the antique doll given me when I was a child, along with all her original clothing. The lady had no children and her brother had only sons, so she gave the doll to me in the very early 50's. After 50 years of living in a blanket box, I bought her a wicker buggy of the same vintage.
Nancy, I do use them, anyplace they won't be ruined by the dogs. Over the back of the couch, under the dolls and Boyd's bears in those chairs, on the guest bed, etc. What I have is... too many and that goes for more than one collection. Excess. So hard to let go of any, though I have let my daughter take a lot home already. My son has two bully dogs and his fiance wouldn't take care of anything like that anyway.
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, Ronna you have inspired me to keep my eyes open.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9398 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9398 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  4:34:07 PM  Show Profile
When making the crazy quilts do you cut the pieces odd shaped or use pieces you already have that are leftovers from other uses? Can you use different weights of fabric in the same quilt?

Cindi,
Does the art quilts mag have just crazy quilts in it or are there others too? I have never heard of the two magazines you mentioned. Can you tell me a little bit more about them or where I can see them?
Thanks.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile
OK THIS IS GOOD!! GO ON GOOGLE AND JUST TYPE IN "CRAZY QUILT PICTURES" THE FIRST ONE THAT COMES UP SAYS CRAZY QUILT CENTRAL. LOTS OF INFO.
NANCY JO LOOKS ALL CAPS!!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  6:13:39 PM  Show Profile
I love the discussion and sharing you all are doing. Had to go in the sewing room and see what the book on crazy quiltings author was, it was the one you all talked about. Now how cool was that. I have wanted to do one for a long time. I have some old velvets and a couple of brocades. It ought to be fun, need to get a bit more organized and a few things done. I love quilting, really truly love it, wish you gals were all closer, what a quilting bee we would have.

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  04:04:12 AM  Show Profile
I used to get " art Quilt " mag at Liberty Quitl Shop or other quilt shops in KC. You can also subscribe to it on line.
as far as cutting the fabric you can do it both ways. Think of crazy quilting a "playing" There is no right or wrong way. When i used to go off to my "san" qulit guilds or crazy quilt guilds I would tell my DH i was off to play.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9398 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9398 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  06:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Cindi,
I'll give a look see online. I'd love to do a crazy quilt. Do the fabrics have to all be the same weight? Has anyone ever done one in just plain ole cotton? How is the embroidery done? As you go along or at the end when it is finished?
I know, I know so many questions. Hey a girl's gotta know these things.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  07:03:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi There is another book I would highly recommend and it's a Crazy quilt how to by J. Marsha Michler, I can't seem to locate my copy at the moment, but it has so many beautiful color photos besides clear instructions. I last used it when I taught a beginning crazy quilt class at a local shop. And Dorothy Bond self publishes a beautiful book of embroidery stitches. I got a copy of it about 35 years ago when it first came out. It is still in print and a wonderful resource of stitches culled from antique quilts. The best thing about crazy quilting is that you can use all different weights of fabrics and add buttons and whatever strikes your fancy. I got a couple old dresser scarves that are really damaged the other day, and I plan to cut out the embroidered bits and use them in a crazy pillow....now if i could just get those spring blocks finished.......Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  09:21:08 AM  Show Profile
OOOH! My favorite kind of quilt! I have one dated 1890 and it is nearly in shreds. The embroidery is still beautiful though.
I started one but have never finished it. I love doing the embroidery. I learned as I was going.

This is mine- with 2 close ups of a couple of spots. Someday I will finish.

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Mar 04 2008 09:23:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  09:24:08 AM  Show Profile
This is the antique one with a couple of close ups. It even has my initials on it! How special is that?

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9398 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9398 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh thanks for those pictures, Autumn. BeautifuL!
Karin~ I'm going to look around for that quilt book thanks.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  05:27:03 AM  Show Profile
LOVE THE PICTURES AUTUMN. I rather doubt my talents will create anything like those quilts!! Very pretty.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  06:39:23 AM  Show Profile
Autumn, both your crazy quilts look lovely. Isn't it hard to watch the old fabrics shattering, they are so delicate. I love the little fisherman. I think that crazy quilting is a learning exercise. it's very inspiring to see what can be accomplished with some embroidery and some scraps. I hav e never attempted a whole crazy quilt....
Freezing rain here earlier this morning, it feels so cold and dank in my house, I probably better go bury myself under a quilt for a while longer. Just before the last foot and a half of snow fell I saw some green peeping out of my garden, snowdrops and daffodills just starting, I hoped they've tucked themselves back in. .Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

nelia48
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Cora
Spring Hill FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  5:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Here's a great place to learn the basics of the crazy quilting. Do a google search for other great sites. Actually, crazy quilting is probably the easiest to do. It's so forgiving as their are no corners and points, etc that have to be perfect. Cora

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_quilting_techniques/article/0,,DIY_13773_2274204,00.htm

http://hiddenrichessecretplaces.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nelia48
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Cora
Spring Hill FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Here's another great site with instructions on the embroidery stitching, too! Cora

http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/styles/crazy/crzayqlt.htm

http://hiddenrichessecretplaces.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  05:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the site info Cora. I need all the help I can get. I think I will try doing my next "small" project on the sewing machine instead of by hand this time. Work on something else in my chair.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

mennonite farm girl
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

ruby
apple valley minnesota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  04:15:40 AM  Show Profile
Just had to jump in on this topic. I just finished 2 queen size crazy quilts for one of my customers. A huge job, but oh, how beautiful when finished. Well worth the time.

Ruby
Mennonite farm girl
www.homemadestitches.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  04:32:16 AM  Show Profile
I have a crazy quilt I found in an antique shop in Marianna, Florida about 15 years ago. I got it for $50.00 and it is double size. It has heavy wool batting and weighs a ton! I would guess it is about 90-100 years old. I use it for a Christmas tree skrt each year, because for some reason it is not comfy on a bed, and I have never had it cleaned because of the batting. But it has all these cheery colors of red and green and is very folksy looking. It looks great under the tree.

Talking about storing quilts, I store my most precious quilts on the second guest bed that rarely gets slept on. I put a bedspread on top, so no light gets to them, and that way they are not folded either. When it does get used for sleeping, I usually hang the quilts for a short time over a wooden hanger in the closet.

I have been really learning a lot on this thread as I read through. Thanks, Nancy Jo, for starting your crazy quilt! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic CRAZY QUILTS???? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page