True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hello Ladies!

It has long been a desire of mine to open a tea house. My boyfriend and I have been tossing around some ideas regarding layout, products and overall ambiance.

My question to you is this, if you walked into a tea house, what would you most like to see, feel, taste and have opportunity to buy?

I'm thinking along the lines of something very calm and serene with a bit of pizazz to it. Does that makes sense?

My boyfriend Dan has suggested a little store area in the shop with essential oils, lotions, books, candles and of course teas, little teapots etc.

What would capture your interest and keep you coming back?

I'm excited to see your answers!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  12:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Keep in mind that I don't think I've ever been to a real tea house before, but comfort would keep me coming back. I can see a tea house with a very English countryside/Shabby Chic decor that friends feel comfortable just sitting and chatting in for a while.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Calm and serene sounds good. There are alot of stuffy ones where you have to make a reservation, or you feel like you should be wearing a big, flowery hat and gloves. I would most like to see some place comfy to sit, books, a place that you can help yourself to sugar, cream, etc; I really like menus on chalkboards, to me it means things will change, it will never be a boring menu, I also like specials of the day. I like places that have large plants to hide behind, if you don't feel like being social.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thank you! That's so awesome. One of our idea surrounds a more zen-ish environment with plants all around...like an atrium. Quiet, cozy, not stuffy at all.
Oh, this is so helpful. Keep it coming!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile
My mom took me to a little tea house years ago. It was so charming - we picked out our tea cups from a complete wall of all different cups & saucers. The place was decorated in an English garden style with small cozy corners, lots of plants, flowery accessories and garden trellises.
We were served our choice of tea or fruit beverage and a cake plate with tiny cookies and cakes. They sold tea, tea pots and cups and a wide variety of stationery items, wrapping paper, candles, and garden accents. It was such a lovely afternoon and a sweet memory to treasure. I hope your tea house dream comes true. Sage

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  1:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget a water feature. Also, you could possibly invite groups of kniters, board gamers, etc. from places like meetup.com It may become their hang out, and regulars will be what you need. There is a coffee place in my tiny town that has an iron gazeebo with white christmas light nets, on it. You know the ones designed to be wrapped around bushes? It is very cool, and makes a separation from the rest of their store where they sell stationery, and stuff like Miso Pretty, Blue Q, bulk soap,50's housewives, pottery, fancy house plants, local art. And being Idaho, they sell lots of country decor with chickens and moose. The tin roosters on the sidewalk are what lured me in. I love it there, except for that they short you on coffee. But the atmosphere is almost worth it.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  1:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I almost REQUIRE comfy seating while sipping tea. The plants and calming, soothing atmosphere sound just heavenly.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Gotcha! What type of cushy seating do you like?

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:18:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm partial to over-stuffed chairs with a little table nearby for the saucer and/or book/magazine to set on. I once went into this place called the Library Coffee House. It looks like a library with all the books and magazines and over-stuffed chairs and coffee/end tables around. Some furniture in groups, some set off by themselves. But all of it cozy, comfy and inviting.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Girl, we are on the same wavelength! The other idea was a library setting but Dan suggested that it might encourage people with their laptops to hang out all day occupy space and not spend money. I don't usually think like that.
There's a place in Redondo Beach called the Catalina Coffee house that's exactly like that and the atmosphere is SO warm and welcoming.

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile
There is always the possibility that some folks will hang out and take up space without spending money. But, I think any place that creates a warm, cozy atmosphere will attract some, anyway. Maybe you should contact the Catalina Coffee House and find out how they handle those types.

Anyway, it sounds like you're going to have a great tea house. You'll have to post pictures when you get it all together so we can all wish we were there!

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile
You mentioned the possibility of people bringing in their laptops and just hanging out without actually buying anything -- perhaps offer WiFi to customers with the purchase of tea or coffee. There is a charming little coffee shop in the town I grew up in that does this. They change the network password daily, and then if someone is interested in using the Internet, they give them the password when they make their purchase. Just an idea... :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Great idea Jodi, thank you, I wasn't sure how that worked!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tea House Business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page