Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 anyone interested in a book club?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic anyone interested in a book club? Next Topic
Page: of 6

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  1:13:34 PM  Show Profile
one or two chapters a day would be fine with me also...Kathy mentioned reading all 8 Anne books...suits me fine!!!
Also, Wednesday sounds like a good day to start...does that work for everyone else?

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  1:31:52 PM  Show Profile
yes to everything from me! this is wonderful, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  1:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Wednesday works fine for me :)

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  5:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Wed. should be alright.. I ordered the book w/ our library so hopefully it will be here then.
thanks!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  6:40:50 PM  Show Profile
For those who cannot get the book in time - I am sure if you put the book title in an online search you can find it online, I forget where, but I have seen it online before.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  6:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Here is the online link to the book
http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Lucy_Maud_Montgomery/Anne_Of_Green_Gables/

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  03:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Wednesday(ooh, that's today!) is good for me!:)
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  05:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Well good WEdnesday morning everyone!!! We will start our beloved Anne book today. Oh we will all be kindred spirits indeed!! Now I know that we just started this group but I feel taht we are all alike in our love of all things Anne soooooo As a Prince Edward Islander and home of Anne, I want to welcome you to Anne for the first time or Anne for the 101st time. As I have mentioned before, this is Anne's 100th birthday and my island is all abuzz with celebrations for Anne. Last year there was a new play created and it was WONDERFUL!! Anne is all grown up and she ......well, I don't know if I should tell you what she does....usnless of course you would like to know;)
Once again I want to say how incredibly happy I am that we are reading this book. I only wish that you could all come to my island and we could all go to the actual Green Gables house in which the story was based on. It is beautiful!!
Sooooo let's start:)

Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  06:35:48 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited! Did we decided on one chapter or two chapters per day?

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I think that a chapter a day would be good. I was just upstairs, in my library to get my Anne book. In the cover is sticker listing a website of a store on PEI. It is www.cavendishfigurines.com. They are a liscensed seller of Anne products. Thought some of you might be interested!:)

Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  11:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Kathy for the link! I didn't know it was online
thanks
Laura
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  06:06:30 AM  Show Profile
HOw are we making out? Are you enjoying it? I sure am!!

Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  07:33:12 AM  Show Profile
i got the UA audio book from the library and have started to "read". Are the cherry trees blooming on PEI now? If not when do they bloom? Am loving every minute...
karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  09:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karen
There isn't too much blooming on my island right now. We are very slow to start and won't see much "life" until The end of April at least.
I am sooooo loving reading this with all of you!!

Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  1:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Ok I finished the book this morning.. did not plan on it, but we have lost power so everything I had planned this morning had to be scrapped.. required electricity. We have a generator but just for the most important items...refrig...etc.
The book made me want to have cherry trees all over our property blooming right now would be good too!
loved it..!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  3:14:21 PM  Show Profile
I am into the first chapter (reading for the one of many times!) wouldn't it be wonderful if we could plan an Anne Garden? I think reading this has made me see all the excitement and details that Anne Girl saw in her everyday life - it makes me realize how important it is to have an imagination no matter how old we become. What is it making all of you think of?

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I can't find my Anne books, they are probably still in boxes in my barn so tomorrow I am off to the library. I was lucky enough to visit the Anne of Green
Gables house with my daughter when she was little (she's a big Anne fan too) It evoked such feelings of comfort. I remember a beautiful wool quilt with embroidery on a bed in one room..it was what some people might consider primitive, but it looked so warm and sweet...My grandfather on my mother's side was a tailor.
And my grandmother did very fancy hardanger embroidery. My mother thought it a waste of time and never saved any for me. I asked her if Grandma ever madeany quilts and my mother said "Oh yes, she made quilts, very utilitarian ones out of leftover men's suiting fabrics. We'd be tucked in at night and it felt just like a lead blanket when you get an x ray." My mother of course didn;t save any of these either. Ah well....I'm looking forward to immersing myself in the Anne books again...Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  3:54:42 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is looking to get the Anne books cheap - I buy most of my used books at www.amazon.com or else on ebay - amazon lets you choose if you want a new or used book and you can price shop and they have such cheap shipping rates.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  04:20:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh ladies the cherry trees are out of this world. I am really loving reading this with all of you and hearing what you think.
We too have the big 'ol utilitarian quilts made out of my husbands family woolens. This house ois over 200 years old and my husbands family has been in it the whole time. That is very normal here on PEI for families to be in their homes for generations.
I would love to start and Anne garden. Do you all have access to Lupines? these are extemly popular on PEI and grow everywhere, even in the ditches. They are soooooo beautiful and the bees, butterflies and humingbirds love them!!

Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  9:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Do you have any reading-group questions for the first 7 or so chapters of the book?! Sounds like everyone is far past that, but maybe we could discuss a bit about what we've read :) I am just loving it so far, it has been soooo long since I've read this book. I too am in favor of reading all the rest after this one :) It can be an "Anne with an E" book club :)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  12:39:28 PM  Show Profile
What does eveyone else think? I have come up with a few questions, but we could just discuss what we read, what we liked, etc. One question I have.......Who is your favorite character other than Anne and why?
Maybe others have questions too.
I am all for reading all of the other Anne books.
YIPEEEEEE!

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm all for discussing some questions as we go along, it'll keep things interesting :)

My favorite character is Marilla, and not just because I played her in a high school production of Anne of Green Gables...lol I like how she's firm but bends when the time is right and how she shows her love in ways other than what's typical. I like how she can have a stand on something and be confident about it but then when a different option on the same thing is presented she'll change her mind even if it's not exactly the way she would have liked to do it.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  2:52:35 PM  Show Profile
hum, my favorite character? Hadn't thought of this... I was, and am, a chatterbox and find Anne such a kindred spirit in this regard. I love reading her chatter. Apart from Anne? I like Moody Spurgeon MacPhearson...
...Just kidding
I think Matthew is the real hero of the story and love him for it. Love, karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  8:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
How far ahead is everyone? The chapters have been so short that it is quick to get through them. Perhaps we can average about 2 chapters a day?
Where is everyone else? I'd love to read ahead...

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  05:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Linda, read ahead! =Karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Reading Room: Previous Topic anyone interested in a book club? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page