Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher Next Topic
Page: of 3

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I know that I am in the minority here, but I just could not get through Sudden Country. I found the plot to be just too dismal and consequently, gave up on trying to wade through what I saw to be a very disjointed narrative. If I had been enthralled by the plot, I probably would have stayed with it. I usually like these types of novels, but this was just too grim, and I felt like the very dark tone kept me from really wanting to know the characters.

Glad that others did enjoy it.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  07:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Connie -The story was grim in places, I agree. Interesting that many of the "grim" novels I have read were written by men, but not this one. I bet life was grim then, however. I noticed that after a depressing part, there would be the telling of a loving moment between Lucy and her baby, or a desription of a breathtaking view along the trail. I imagine life was like that then - a big swing of the pendulum between the hard and scary, and the beautiful and exciting.
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  09:08:49 AM  Show Profile
jpbluesky,
How perceptive of you to note the 'swing of the pendulum'. I agree that this trek to Oregon was much harder than anyone could imagine. I think a lot of previous novels have romanticized it.
I would like to recommend another book about pioneering in Oregon called A Sweetness To The Soul by Jane Kirkpatrick. It is based on a true story and filled with heart-warming insights. I think Connie would love it.
Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I thought about Sudden Country over night and decided that the real issue for me was what I saw to be the disjointed writing style. I felt like the work was not cohesive. I know that things were very grim for these pioneers; my ancestors arrived in Boston from Sweden in 1903 and rode in a wagon to Illinois. Mary and Margaret, who were my grandfather's infant sisters, both died. I have read many realistic novels so as I said, it was the writing style that I felt to be the most unpleasant or difficult.

I will check out the other title today.

I guess that my next question is what will we read next???
Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  3:38:16 PM  Show Profile
I am ready for another one now too!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Are we ready to move on to another book? Any suggestions?

I am reading The Mermaid Chair for a book discussion group that I lead at the library where I work. Just a suggestion--there are so many titles out there.

My other suggestion would be that we not select a newly published book because it is so difficult to get one from a library.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  5:44:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm still waiting to hear from the others who are reading Sudden Country. How's it coming along, girls? I know some of you just got the book.

(We've got a topic going on The Mermaid Chair here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=632&SearchTerms=mermaid,chair )

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  9:08:44 PM  Show Profile
I am about half way through and off to the ranch this weekend so will probably finish it then. I am really enjoying it and plan to recommend it to several friends.
Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  03:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I am going to buy the book---the hurricane took the intent away, but I have to read this book....Please don't hold up the discussion of another book because of this...I will jump in and catch up.

I am deligted for this site bacause reading is my thing and right now it is a wonderful escape for me while in the mist of resettling in one more time.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  7:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Kim I just wondered if the book got to you and the site won't let me e-mail anybody,,,,,,,,,,did you like it?

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  8:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Voices from the Prairie ... I think it is about pioneers heading to Kansas .. but will check on the exact title and author when i get back home. (in ohio and working on a friend's comuter and cannot figure out how to 'maneuver' my way into cyberspace with it. i have not read it but saw a group of very talnted actresses doing monologues from it .. and it just touched my heart .. big time!

and as always ... janice holt giles .. haven't read any author that so explains early american life to me as she does. the language throughout is lyrical in it's 'twang'.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page