Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher Next Topic
Page: of 3

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This sounds like a very interesting book/discussion/group. I am always fascinated by coincidences (consider this - my 34 year old son is dating a girl that he met about a year ago; turns out her name is the same as our younger sons wife; her grandparents bought our house in Salt Lake City from us (we didn't know it at the time of course). I love to read books by Northwest authors especially when they write about the Northwest and historical novels in particular. Count me in on this discussion. I am off to find the book.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile
You will love it Mary...I just can't wait to discuss it ...love the questions you posted Clare!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  08:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I ordered my book from Amazon yesterday. I can't wait to get it and start reading. Unfortunately, the two hobbies I love the most, quilting and reading, cannot be done at the same time (unless I get books on tape).

I also printed out Clare's questions so I will have them handy as I read the book.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James

Edited by - quilt8305 on Sep 29 2005 08:23:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading this very compelling book. It really drew me in, as Karen did such a wonderful job with the dialect and cadence of speech of the time and era, along with the heartfelt descriptions.

What I found interesting, from my own persepective, is that I have often waxed-poetic of living a pioneer life of that time, but after reading probable realities as outlined in this novel, I really don't know if I would have the "grit & stuff" it would take to endure such a journey, especially if you and your partner were not of the same mindset.

Speaking of partners, that brings up the topic of women in that age, especially widows with children, having no other options than to find an available man to attach to just for means of survival. I personally cannot imagine having to do that now, for myself. How far have we come to be able to support ourselves alone if that is the option that is present to us, rather than have to "sell", if you will, our ideals and spirit away for food and shelter. This gives me huge pause.

Also of note to me in this novel is how each of the characters process their sorrows.

I think what drew Lucy Mitchell and James McLaren together was each of them needing to be known. Lucy's husband ignored her needs to be heard and discounted her opinions. James listened, and shared himself with her in ways that allowed her own humanity not to shrivel up in this disparaging time and journey. The memories carried her through during a very troubling time. I can certainly relate to memories doing that for me. And in the end, Lucy and Israel do become amiable companions.
This quote says alot: "They wore each other more easily than they once had. They fit, like old clothes of which little was expected but comfort. Because affection, she had learned, was such a civilized thing, compared to love. It exacted so much less and was therefore more enduring. And endurable."

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Very well told, true to the times, and it makes you think about alot of the things of life that you deem important.

I'm interested in hearing others perspectives, too, so please share!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 02 2005 10:43:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  2:37:32 PM  Show Profile
I agree that women sure didn't have the choices we have now....and I don't think I would like that at all..but what choice did they have? I Think Lucy spent so much of her life unhappy that having McLaren to look forward to was almost as important as her "having" him. Women had to settle for what they got alot more, and deal with things like the death of children and freinds more than we do now...it just seems that life was so much more painful.
He (McLaren) seems the most complicated character for sure. He certainly had a capacity to love, except maybe to love himself.
I loved the writing style!! I think she described things really well too, and I felt that I could picture each person and each place. I love to read a book like that.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm only about half way through the book so far. I initially had some trouble with the writing style but I've overcome that and am enjoying the story.

One thing that has really struck me is just how ill-prepared they seem to be for such a long journey. Did they not know that it would that long or that difficult?

I understand Lucy's reluctance to leave the security of the life she had and travel into the unknown. Women of that time had no choices and little or no say in the matter if the man decided to go west. I wouldn't have liked that either, Jenny.

This is a very interesting book for me to read because I had two sets of great-great-great grandparents who came west to California on one of the 1847 wagon trains. They then went north to Oregon in 1849. It's always impressed me that they were strong enough and brave enough to do that. I'm not sure I could have done it.

I printed off Clare's list to refer to while I finish reading the book. Thanks Clare.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile
It sure makes me appreciate what I have!! I felt this same way after reading "The Grapes of Wrath!!"

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  5:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Oh I wish I could join in this dicussion - sounds like a really great book! BUT, I'm still on the waiting list at my libraby!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  6:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Julia, email me your address. I will loan you my copy.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  6:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Or mine, I will certainly loan mine to anybody who wants it.

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

My copy of Sudden Country just arrived at the library where I work today. I will start it tonight so that I can join in the discussion. Better late than never! Fun!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  1:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Thank you Clare and Arlene! I spoke too soon as my library called me yesterday to say my book was in. I'll go get it tonight and start reading to catch up!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  3:09:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited........I came home today and A Sudden Country was on my doorstep. My husband will be gone duck hunting this weekend so you can guess what I am going to be doing!!!

Mary

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  2:18:31 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!!!!

I have started Sudden Country, and while I am liking it, I am also having some difficulty with the writing style.

More later.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  6:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Connie,
I agree with you about the writing style. It's kind of like brainstorming or stream of consciousness. I can tell you it does get a bit easier as you go along. Hang in there. It is a great story.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  6:14:14 PM  Show Profile
In the mountains this past week, I read almost all of A Sudden Country. I really look forward to finishing it and I tell you gals.....there were nights when I went to bed exhausted after reading it before sleep! I cannot imagine what it must have been like to be a pioneer in those times, but this book certainly makes it real. My admiration for those women has grown evermore huge!!!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back JP!!! I missed you!! Please tell us about your stay in your cabin in N.C. It sounds so peaceful and serene!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I almost put the book down and didn't pick it back up but after you get used to the unfinished sentences and unfinished thoughts, it's like you really CAN "feel" what the characters are feeling I don't know how else to explain it but hang in there, it really is a good story

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  8:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I haven't gotten the book yet and anyone who has a copy to share I will take you up on it!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  8:47:16 PM  Show Profile
E-mail me your address I will send it out to you

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  08:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Meadowlark! It is good to be home, but was wonderful in the mountains.

I finished A Sudden Country last night. I must say it is the best book I have read since The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

The sentence structure was very poetic to me and it painted visuals that normal sentences would not have come close to doing. I dearly loved the gut deep feelings that were so subtly conveyed in one paragraph or less.

I outlined and underlined quotes all over the place that spoke wisdom to me. Here are a few I noted from different places in the book:

"They'd left a memory alive that night, he was sure of it. All people did, in places, all the millions who had lived, their flickering revenants here and there: fighting, loving, dying." pg 131

"Ideas will not save us, he thought. Not right or wrong, not peace or retribution. Our stories are all we have. The only thing that can ever save us is to learn from each other's stories. From beginning to end." pg 338

"For every life we know, we are expanded. There is no forgiveness without stories. There is no dignity. These is no way to speak in other tongues but that." pg 339

"She said,"I'm not accustomed to surprises."
"Well", he said, "It is a sudden country." pg 87

Great book!

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 09 2005 09:02:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  09:19:36 AM  Show Profile
For those looking forward to this book, check out the Farmgirl Barter posts -- there's one up for barter (and not by me) -- autographed, too!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  10:39:24 AM  Show Profile
I am relieved to hear a few of you are having difficulty with the writing style. I am glad the story line is really appealing to me otherwise I may have given up on it.
I just got past page 100 and keep hoping that I hit a point where I can't put it down. The imagery in the words is beautiful, I agree,
but it reads like poetry that must be contemplated before reading on.
Interesting.

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 09 2005 10:43:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Take heart Susan, I agree with you on the contemplation. I could read one chapter, maybe two, at a time, then needed to contemplate. Lucy and everyone lived with me the whole time I was reading the book, if you know what I mean.

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
I have the same feeling - I am drawn in to these lives. I am constantly amazed how the author writes as if she were intimately involved with these people and this journey.
Mary

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page