Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  08:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I am going to run, not walk, out to get this book today, after reading this review in the Seattle-PI. If you have a chance to buy the paper today, the pictures alone are worth a thousand words, as only a couple pictures are included on the web site. What an inspirational woman, to work on a novel about the Oregon Trail for 14 years.. plus be such a down to earth woman. Please read the article and I think you'll too be impressed.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/books/238782_fisher01.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile
THanks so much for posting the link. I will HAVE to get that book!! On my next trip to the big city (Provo) I will have to stop at Barnes and NOble..no book store any closer than that...but it will be worth the wait...it sounds wonderful!!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  12:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Thanks, Clare! I've picked this one up a few times at the bookstore, but have yet to buy it. But after reading about the author, I'm going to have to pick it up!

Lacy
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  1:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we should have a recommended reading list on the site, starting with MJ's book!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  1:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Thanks, Clare! I'm going to see if it's at my library - hoping it is!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  2:34:39 PM  Show Profile
My local Hastings would have to special order it, and my library didn't have it purchased yet.... so Amazon it is.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  5:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Wooo Hoooo! My book arrived from Amazon today, so y'all know what I'll be reading this weekend (in between sewing aprons, that is!!)

Go to Top of Page

davidfisher
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

david
lopez island WA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  9:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, this is David Fisher, Karen's husband replying. I just stumbled across this link, Karen is off on book tour. She will be thrilled to see this. Karen and I were organic farmers in Idaho 7 years ago, and Karen was working on drafts of A Sudden Country at night. On Saturdays we sold produce at Moscow Farmer's Market, right next to Mary Jane. We had the best produce, but she always had us whupped on hats and outfits. Anyway, some wonderful synchronicity at work here. Hope some of you folks can meet Karen at the readings - <www.asuddencountry.com> has the schedule. Love to all you good people out there. David
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  9:43:03 PM  Show Profile
WOW! David, small world! And welcome. I've already started the book and it has drawn me in with a whole range of emotions! Sending you all my best.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  10:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare, Sounds like a must read for my list. How fun to have Mr. Fisher "stop" by. I love this place!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  3:35:06 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to read this book!!! I couldn't open the link to Karen's schedule though..darn.
How neat of her husband to drop by!! I love that!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Those <> signs mess the link up. Here it is:

http://www.asuddencountry.com
Read her biography and her journal. It'll make ya think.

I've started the book and am finding it very good... and it's got me to thinking about alot of things... again... who needs entertainment, when stories can fill our heads for days!

Edited by - Clare on Sep 11 2005 4:36:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  5:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey farmgirls and farmboys (David). Guess what I have packed in my suitcase to read when I fire up my book tour again in two days?--Karen's "Sudden Country." Random House sent me an Advanced Reader's Edition just before I left last spring to launch my own book. I took it with me but didn't have two minutes to myself. I was asleep every night before my second foot lifted off the floor. Books tour are a strange mix of exhilaration and dire exhaustion. But the next leg of my tour won't be so hard on me. David, when Karen is here October 15, will you be coming? If she wants to stay here, we promise to pamper her! I'll know just what she needs. I will have just returned from NYC on tour myself so the two of us can swap tour tales around the campfire. Was your farm down by Orofino? I think it was Karen who fixed me the most amazing plum smoothie I've ever had.
Go to Top of Page

davidfisher
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

david
lopez island WA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  6:21:34 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane! Thanks for writing. I"m hoping Karen will write tonight, she's a litttle intimidated by all this technology. Yup, that was our farm above the river and Orofino. I'm sorry we never made it out to yours, we'll have to fix that. I'm not surprised you haven't read ASC yet, all this book touring stuff is hard on one's reading life.

I really hope I will be able to join Karen for the Moscow reading, I think we had better plan on it. By the way, let people know that the country girl from Ahsahka, Idaho will be on the Late Late Show, (with host Craig Ferguson, a very funny Scotsman,) tomorrow, Monday night, at 12.35. Yes, when all good farm girls and boys should be in bed...

Have fun on your next leg of the book tour. Is the schedule on line?

And Karen will be delighted to do an Author Chat on line, if you Farm Girls read her book. Which you should, its the best novel out there right now. OK, I'm biased, but check out the Chicago Tribune review, for example:
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/booksmags/chi-0508190314aug21,1,6098277.story?ctrack=1&cset=true>
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  7:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow...I loved the website...and now I am really really excited to read the book! I am always up late and will sure look for Karen on the late late show. I just need to remember to turn on the tv..I don't usually have it on late at night..but sure will for this!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  10:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Got the book today, started reading it at work,,,,,,,,,,,,,lovin it so far,,,gotta go read

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  10:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes and my friend TIVO is recording the late late show in case I fall asleep reading lol

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  5:45:08 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Let's set a date to start our book discussion. I had to order mine through Interlibrary Loan but should receive it in the next week. Does Oct 1 seem reasonable to everyone?

Tonight I am reading/finishing a book called THE THREE JUNES for the book group that I lead at the public library.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:09:16 PM  Show Profile
That sounds great Connie..got my copy today..hooray!! I will be up late reading tonight..just read two chapters while supper was cooking...one handed cooking is my best skill..grin.
I am loving it so far!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  7:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
October 1 sounds great to me. I've on a waiting list from my library so it might be another week or two. I may just have to order it but that's o.k.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Works for me Connie, got it yesterday

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  07:52:58 AM  Show Profile
I finished it, can't wait for the discussions to begin!!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  6:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Just read this topic and I had just ordered the book two days ago. From Amazon. I am really looking forward to reading it! And to reading all your comments about it after October 1.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Finished!! It is wonderful!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  12:48:12 PM  Show Profile
How many of you caught Karen's interview?? She was hilarious and didn't give him an inch!!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I've not yet finished this book, about 2/3 through, but found these discussion questions online and thought them to be very thought provoking, and they will affect how I finish reading this novel. I'm finding it very compelling. Maybe these will be beneficial in our discussion.

1. One of America's foundational myths, the mid-nineteenth-century migration to Oregon and California has often been misrepresented or romanticized. What popular impressions does Fisher strive to correct in her account of this journey? Does Lucy Mitchell, in A Sudden Country, conform to the typical representation of a "pioneer woman"? Does MacLaren fit the popular notion of the "mountain man"? What elements of Fisher's re-envisioning most surprised you?

2. How does the Mitchells' first meeting with MacLaren on the night of the storm (pp. 49-53) reveal, in miniature, the complex dynamics that will come to shape the story of this group together?

3. When MacLaren arrives to join the company at last, Lucy asks him why he came (p. 87), and he responds by asking her the same question Does either person seem to understand why they've sought the other? Which of their unconnected or unconscious responses might offer clues?

4. In the early chapter "A True Wife," what do we learn about Lucy's aesthetics and attitudes that might help explain the isolation she later feels among other women of her party? Later, on pp. 130-31, she observes: "And now, if some believed her strange and some believed her silent, if some believed her mean with her affections, it was not because she thought she was better than they were. It was because she did not trust that she was anyone at all." Do you think this loss of confidence is typical of middle age, or has Lucy suffered a kind of erasure of identity particular to her?

5. Israel's decision to take his family west, and Lucy's reluctance to go, bring into focus their sharply different attitudes toward the relative benefits of risk and safety. To what degree is either of them able to see the other's position or question their own? At what points in story do Israel and Lucy appear to bend somewhat toward the other's view? What does Lucy mean when she tells MacLaren (p. 205) that he has taught her not to fear?

6. How do certain inanimate objects, like the teacups, the corset, and the man's saddle Lucy rides in, all serve to symbolize the transforming power of this westward journey?

7. Is Israel or MacLaren the more virtuous man, in Lucy's view? Do you agree? For which man do you have more sympathy? Does virtue earn the sympathy of others, or is sympathy earned by something else? If something else, then what?

8. Do your impressions of Native American culture agree with any of the varied (and sometimes contradictory) pictures of the individuals and tribes represented in A Sudden Country? Were you surprised by any of Fisher's depictions?

9. While among the Pawnee, Lucy asks MacLaren, "With what morality do they temper their desires?" She accuses the Pawnee of being shameless, of doing what they please (p. 111). MacLaren has suffered equal disdain in native societies who see whites as people who "roam without reason, claiming things that could not be owned" (p. 112). Do the moralities of different cultures seem purely arbitrary? Why have neither of the moral notions cited here (the goodness of Victorian restraint, and the goodness of intransient communities and common ownership) survived in this country to the present day?

10. A Sudden Country portrays love and marriage in many lights. In Lucy's eyes, what is love, and how far should it affect one's actions? How did her expectations and experiences of love differ with Luther, Israel, and MacLaren? What does she conclude at last? Do you believe her? Do you agree?

11. Lise is an elusive character in the novel. How and why does MacLaren's perception of her, and of the nature of their relationship, change over the course of his journey?

12. Do you agree with MacLaren's intuition (p. 296) that the "borrowed genius" of the Christian faith has done more than anything to free Europeans from the bonds of geography and community, and to make them a "wandering and conquering" people? What evidence comes to mind that supports or refutes that idea?

13. Early in A Sudden Country, Laurent warns that the evils of the world all spring from sorrow. Toward the end, Eliza Spalding maintains that "no good comes from fear. No morality is governed by it." Her assertion that we "must live by love, in the knowledge that our selfish actions oft prove fatal," is an attitude that MacLaren has dismissed already as "blind charity," though his own worst actions could easily read as proofs of her conviction. Why does he come to believe that Laurent's answer is the right one? Is it too simple an answer, or brilliant in its simplicity? What, as MacLaren understands it, is the "solution" to sorrow?

14. Do Americans act in the world today much as they did in 1847, or are their actions and ambitions significantly different?

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Sep 29 2005 08:35:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic "A Sudden Country" by Karen Fisher Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page