Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What book influenced you the most growing up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic
Page: of 7

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't think I could narrow it down to just one book, or even one series, but I loved:

The Little House on the Prairie series
My Side of the Mountain
The Giver
Where the Red Fern Grows

Each of these books let me to more and different books. Oh how I love to read!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm...maybe Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George. I was fascinated by the thought of escaping to the back-of-beyond to live among wild creatures!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile
Of coarse- mine and Karins Favorite!!! Harriet the Spy!!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Little HOuse series for me too - one of my elementary school teachers (sorry, I forgot which one!) read them aloud to us and I was hooked!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Drew! *~* But also Anne of Green Gables and anything about Hellen Keller :)

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

thyme2cook
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Terri
Derby Kansas
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
All Judy Blume books! Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, SuperFudge, Are you there God? It's me, Margaret.

Also...Great Big, Enormous, Gigantic Cardboard Box
by Leeanne Brook, Gaston Vanzet....as well as the others mentioned already in the forum.

Terri

Farm Girl at Heart! Terri
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  3:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Where the Red Fern Grows for sure and
Anne of Green Gables
The Secret Garden and
Island of the Blue Dophin
Friday the Arapaho Indian
All the Little House Books
Little Women
I loved to read even as a little kid.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  5:35:16 PM  Show Profile
oh you have all listed the books I would have listed. I was also really inspired by the bible too.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  5:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Island of the Blue Dolphin and My Side of the Mountain. I read those books over and over.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Babysitters lub,lol

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  8:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Little Women
Nancy Drew
Any biography on Amelis Earhardt

I used to spend hours at the library!

Handmade Olive Oil Soap, Lotion Bars, and Prim Treasures http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

I'm A Rusty Chick!!!
PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
and
Girl of the Limberlost, by Jean Stratton Porter

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  06:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Great thread! Okay, I also absolutely loved the Anne of Green Gables books growing up, and another favorite of mine was A Wrinkle in Time (Madeline L'Engle) and subsequent books in that series. The really cool thing about Wrinkle for me now is that I'll be teaching it (for the first time - needed to change things up this year) to my grade 7 ELA students in just a few weeks; I hope they love it as much as I did!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE this thread so much! Maybe I had too much fruit juice this morning but I got all excited and decided to start a farmgirl Chapter! I am calling us "The Book Worms" for now! Please let me know if you would be interested in joining so we can chat about our favorite books, past present and future!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile
I guess I would have to say Webster's Dictionary, second edition/ My parents always had us look up the words we didn't know and there are lovely color illustrations of gemstones, butterflies, etc. I still have that old dictionary on a stand in my living room. I loved all the
Anne of
Green Gables, Little House, Louisa May Alcott series. My mother made me read a Dickens novel when I was 10. Great Expectations. She gave me her old set of Dickens with the tiniest print for my birthday when I was twelve. A few years before she died she gave me a new set, put out by Oxford Press with print I can read. There's nothing like settling down with a good book, a quilt, a cat or two and a cup of tea. I still really enjoy Dickens, you find yourself sailing along on this wonderful extravaganza of words and names.I think a Bookworm chapter sounds brilliant! Karin
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  3:55:24 PM  Show Profile
While I read tons of books when I was a kid, I have to say the following were books I just loved and read over and over: Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, Anne of Green Gable series and Nancy Drew mysteries! Wow, just typing this brings back so many wonderful reading memories for me.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  06:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
For me:
The Secert Garden
ALL of the "Anne" Books
Shel Silverstein..
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  06:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Ha, Debi!! You beat me to it!! Yes, Harriet the Spy tops my list. :) But I have to say that the Borrowers series cemented whimsy into my brain and now I absolutely believe that all things are possible- even tiny people who live in my walls and take the very thing that I am in need of, to make something useful for themselves. I must have hundreds of them!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  06:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Anything by Louisa May Alcott, Jack London, Charles Dickens, LM Montomery or Mark Twain. Also Harriet Beecher Stowe's 'Uncle Tom's Cabin. And of course my favorite of all, Jane Austen. I also loved the Bronte sisters as well. I still go back and re-read them sometimes. Of course I have read Austen's books so many times that I have lost count. Oh, and Trixie Beldon? She was kind of like Nancy Drew. My mom brought me tons of her books home in a box one day and I loved them all.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

IA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile
I read the Janet Lambert series of books between the ages of 9-12. Now there is an online group to discuss the books, and the books can be found on e-bay for lots of money!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  6:12:19 PM  Show Profile
I recall reading a passage in school from Thoreau's Walden - Thus began my love affair with nature. Next to that I would have to say that as a young woman I made my way through all the Anne of Green Gables books - Also was influenced (and still am to this very day) very very greatly by author Gladys Taber - Also Anne Morrow Lindbergh (her journals were hauntingly beautiful).

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  7:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great selection of books! I am going to have to read through all of these posts again and make a list of books that I haven't read yet, but should! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - got it as a 13th bday gift from my cousin and it changed my life!
i read only Nancy Drew, et al up until then...afterward i discovered Dickens, Alcott, Austen and am still discovering...
love, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  1:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
I read a lot of books growing up and had lots of favorites. As a kid, I read a lot of Disney books. I grew up in a Christian home, so of course I read a lot kids Christian books. My favorite series as a preteen was the Mandie Series. I'm actually looking to buy all of the books to have to read again myself and keep for my daughter for when she's older. They now have where Mandie went to college and I really want to read that too! If you know where I can buy these books-let me know! I also read some of the Little House on the Prairie books, The Boxcar Children series, The Babysitters Club, Sweet Valley Kids, High and College Series. I love to read. I'm a HUGE fan of Karen Kingsbury, Janette Oke, Robin Jones Gunn and many more!

Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  8:33:01 PM  Show Profile
I loved anything about horses. The Walter Farley Black Stallion series was a fave, as were the Margeurite Henry horse books-Misty of Chincoteage, etc. I always buy those for childrens book drives in hope that some horse crazy girl will love them as much as I did.

I also loved the Little House on the Prairie series, and Judy Blume. There was also a Freddy the Pig series that my dad and I enjoyed together.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  04:47:30 AM  Show Profile
No wonder we all love chatting and sharing so much, we're all like "soul sisters" or something!!

I loved the Little House series, and the TV show too, Judy Blume, Little Women, James Herriot, and as I got a little older, college age, I loved Stephen King, Sidney Sheldon and Maeve Binchy.
Now, I like just about anything that's well written. The Kite Runner was very good, but I haven't read his second book "A thousand splendid suns" yet.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page