Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Rising Problems with Homemade Bread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rising Problems with Homemade Bread Next Topic  

wncmtnmama
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marilyn
Asheville NC
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:34:38 AM  Show Profile
I need advice about making my homemade bread.

I've tried 3 times now, all with fail, to make my bread, but I can't get it to rise. I've even purchased "fresher" yeast and still my bread isn't rising. I've been using my kitchenaid mixer to knead and the instructions that came with it say to only knead for 5 minutes, but I've read in my various cookbooks to knead by hand for 10 minutes. Can this be done successfully with a mixer? Oh, and could the problem possibly be that I'm using beer as the liquid ingredient? Could that be causing my problems?

I used to make this bread at home with my mama (20 years ago!)and we kneaded by hand and it was always so delicious and made the house smell incredible.

Thanks for any help or suggestions - Marilyn

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm assuming your water is the right temperature?

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marilyn and welcome! I use my kitchenaid all the time for making bread with no problems, although I do do the last of the kneading by hand. I think the yeast would still be suspect if you're getting no rise at all. Maybe if you could post the recipe, we could help you further.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marilyn- if the recipe calls for beer then it should be fine. I have never personally made a beer bread before so I don't have much experience with it-

I would suggest you try a different brand of yeast and let your yeast "bloom" in warm water with a tiny bit of sugar for about 15 minutes before adding it to your recipe. Also make sure that where ever you are baking is over 75 degrees or your bread probably won't rise.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Feb 22 2008 10:29:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  10:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Where are you putting the dough to rise? I don't have a great place here for rising, the temperature fluctuates too much, so I switched to a breadmaker instead; I don't bake the bread in it, but make the dough in it and let it rise in there.

I have heard of wrapping your bowl in a nice, warm sweater, or a thick blanket, to keep it warm in your rising place.

Also, does the recipe have enough sugar for the yeast to do its job? Probably does, though, if this is the same recipe your mom used with success.

I make pizza dough with beer and it turns out great, so beer is fine.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like your water may be too hot, killing the yeast. Do you put the water, yeast and sugar in the bowl first and let it sit for a few (maybe 10) minutes? I use my Kitchenaid all the time, so that should be OK... Good luck; nothing like warm bread on a cold day :)
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

MulberryMama
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jill
Prospect Heights IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile
If your liquid (Water, Milk, Beer) is too hot, it will kill your yeast. especially if you heat it on the stove or in the microwave. It should be warm but not hot. If it feel warm but not hot to your inside wrist or lower lip, it should be just right.

Liquid should ideally be 110 - 115 Degress F. At 120 Deg.F, most people's hotwater heaters, it will start to kill the yeast.

And wait to add the salt until after you have added some flour. Too much salt in your dissolving yeast will kill the action too.

I buy my dry yeast in the jar (Not the individual packets) and keep it in the refrig. and have rarely ever had a problem with bad yeast.

Good Luck

I wasn't born in a barn, but I was raised in one.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  9:10:00 PM  Show Profile
I keep my thermostat low in the house, so I start the oven early and set the dough to rise on the stovetop to use that extra warmth.

However, I noticed that when I use a recipe that calls for 1 packet of dry active yeast, I don't get any visible rising even after letting the bread sit for twice as long as stated. When I use a recipe that calls for two packets of yeast, the dough puffs up like mad.

So either the room temp or the recipe you are using might affect how much rising you see. Does the bread taste ok when it's done? Mine did even when I was worried about not seeing the kind of rising I expected.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  9:42:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple of questions/suggestions. Beer for one...does the recipe call for beer as the liquid. Only time I've used beer in bread is for the quick breads, not a long rising yeast bread. Are you buying active dry or instant yeast? The instant is just that and does not have enough power for the long or repeated rises of some breads. The recipe will tell you which kind to use. Also, what kind of flour are you using...whole wheat takes longer to rise than white flours. Lots of places to point fingers. I first learned about baking bread when I was 8 from my future mother in law....almost 54 years ago. If you're kneading as directed by the KitchenAid book, it will tell you what the dough will look like when it's kneaded enough. Temp in your kitchen will affect rising, as others have said. A slow rise in cooler temps is fine, as long as you account for this and know how the dough will look when it's ready for shaping and the second rise.
Plenty of bakers on this forum to give you the help you need, keep on trying. Nothing like homemade bread.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

wncmtnmama
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marilyn
Asheville NC
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  08:14:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow - away from the computer a few days and I have lots of good mail to read ! Thanks from everyone.

I did get my bread to rise on Saturday - again, I did everything the same EXCEPT I kneaded it by hand this time for 10 minutes (I set my timer) and the bread was wonderful !

I had been using my oven as the place to keep the bread warm and draft free - not on of course, but with a pan underneath that I had poured some boiling water into.

I think the 1st two times I may have had my liquid (Beer) too hot and that it probably killed the yeast. I had heated it over low heat on the stove, but I probably had it too hot - I could stick my finger in it fine, but it may have been too hot for yeast. And yes, I'm using the packets of yeast and not the jarred kind, but I will buy that next and use the tip of keeping the yeast in the fridge.

The bread was FABULOUS ! One whole loaf was gone by the end of dinner and between my husbands late night snack of a BLT with homemade bread and my 4 year old daughter eating 2 pieces with butter on it, the second loaf was gone by lunchtime Sunday (and my daughter doesn't eat any bread except cornbread).

Thanks to all of you for your insight and hints.
Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marilyn-

I am so glad that it worked out for you! Can you post the recipe? Please? Because now I am hankering for a piece of your delicious bread, but I think Doug might have a problem with me flying to North Carolina for some bread and butter! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  08:11:01 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
If you went to Asheville, you'd find lots to see and do beyond eating bread and butter at Marilyn's house. Beautiful area. Plan on staying at least a week :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  10:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ronna- LOL As much as I would love to go- we have to save our pennies for our upcoming move and a quick trip home for Nora's birthday!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:

Edited by - Alee on Feb 26 2008 10:56:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

wncmtnmama
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marilyn
Asheville NC
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Okay, here's my mom's recipe for beer bread:

1 pkg yeast
3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small potato (diced, boiled and mashed up with a fork)
12 oz can of beer
1 cup grated cheese (optional - I don't always use it)

The last time I made this I only barely heated the beer since I think I was getting it too hot and killing my yeast.

You don't have to add the potato, but I like it because it seems to add a "moistness" to the bread and it smells like heaven when it's baking.

I bake it at 350 degrees, and I start checkiing on it after 30 minutes - some times my oven gets an attitude and decides to do things it's own way, so I have to check on it.

Hope those of you who try this will enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  11:09:44 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a winner, thanks! :-)

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  06:52:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try your recipe, using my breadmaker on the dough setting, then finish it in the oven. That is, if I can convince DH to part with a bottle of beer for cooking...

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  08:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oooo! That sounds yummy! I will try it this weekend!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rising Problems with Homemade Bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page