amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  10:52:06 PM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed MaryJane's magazine for a while now and just bought the book. I've been up way too late reading everyone else's postings, but I just wanted to say a quick hello. I've got four young hens in the coop out back, several thousand worms in a kitchen composter on the porch, and a smallish garden around a large-ish Victorian. I make my own soap, do a little oil painting (mostly flowers and vegetables), and write about gardening and nature.

I also wanted to share this story: I was reading MaryJane's book out in the garden tonight when my chicken Eleanor jumped in my lap and stuck her beak right into the book as if she wanted to read along with me. What a farmgirl moment! Actually, between the egg-gathering, the worm-farming, and the berry-picking, I’ve been having farmgirl moments for a while now!

Stop by and meet the chickens here, if you'd like to:
http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
and there's links to a few other pages about the worms, the garden, etc.

Cheers,
Amy

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

Edited by - amystew on Aug 31 2005 11:20:09 PM

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  12:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Amy,,,welcome to another California farmgirl!!!I am way south of you near Bodega and I also have a love of chickens!!My house is full of the ceramic etc kind and in the yard are what's left of my layers that the raccoons didn't kill. Have to replenish next year. Glad to have another California farmgirl to talk to,,,,,,,,,,Arlene

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  06:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Amy...you sure live in a nice area of Calif...my dad was born near where you live!!
Sounds like you will fit in just fine here..I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  09:26:05 AM  Show Profile
HEY Amy!!! I'm in Arcata!!! I'm so excited to have a fellow farmgirl SO near by. We're only minute from eachother. I live up in northern Arcata, Mad River area. I work down in Eureka. Welcome, welcome!

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile

The Farmgirl Connection works! I'm betting Melissa and Amy will have a great time getting to know each other!! We already know that Melissa has oodles of farmgirl ideas and energy! Check out Amy's website link ~ she is awesome, too!
Amy ~ Welcome worm wrangler!! The story about Eleanor made me laugh out loud!! Chickens do the strangest things, as you know. When I was in grade school, my grandpa owned the local Purina feed store. Every spring there were baby chicks. My sister and I begged and pleaded until mom let us get two, on the condition that we would take them to my other grandma's on our summer visit. These chicks lived in a box until they got too big. Then we kept them in the unfinished part of the daylight basement for a month. The 120 mile car ride was interesting to say the least. The funniest part was introducing two city chickens to my grandma's flock. They didn't know how to eat out of the slotted feeders or roost! Being resourceful chickens, it didn't take them long to figure it out. Needless to say, soon after that we moved to 2 1/2 acres so we could have a horse, 4-H chickens ~ the proper way~, a big garden, etc. My mom was a quick learner ~ having grown up on a dairy farm herself, she was happy to be out of the suburbs. I'm very thankful for that!
sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
I love your site and your chickens area dorable! Welcome to the best site ever!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Eureka, CA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page