Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  8:11:48 PM  Show Profile
I got one of the looms and loops we had when we were kids and I have been making potholders. I am having so much fun. It is amazing how the simple things in life bring us so much pleasure.Does anyone esle remember them? What are some of your favorite old time crafts?
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  10:44:05 PM  Show Profile
My 8 year old son loves making them and he is quite the expert now. He calls them coasters when he gives them to men and potholders when he gives them to women..and he has given away tons of them...I remember making them when I was a kid too.
I also loved making yarn jumpropes from one of the spoolie things..like a big wooden spool with 4 or 5 or 6 (?) pegs at the top that you made a knitted rope on...by flipping the yarn over like knitting sort of (alot like a small version of the round hat looms)
My youngest daughter is really into sewing barbie clothes by hand lately and it really brings back memories..my barbie (I had one..she has probably 8) had some wild outfits for sure. Erin has been making "casual clothes" for her prince charming Ken doll this week, since all he had was his prince outfit. I love to see the creativity. Poor ken...really funny beachwear..let me tell ya!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  2:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, How funny you should mention the old potholder looms. I've been thinking about them lately and would love to try one again. I should buy one and teach my grandchildren how to make potholders. When I was a kid, I'd make up a bunch, put them in a shoebox and sell them door to door. I don't remember what I charged. The start of my farmgirl skills!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  09:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I received a pot holder from my god daughter, she had made on one of those looms. Her mother told me it was full of sweat and tears. I us eit all the time. I think it's the best Christmas gift I've had in YEARS!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  7:49:22 PM  Show Profile
I had my mom's loom that she had as a girl for the longest time. It is now missing and that makes me sad. I would love to try my hand at one again. Does anyone remember the Pom Pom makers? I got a kit for Christmas one year. I spent hours wrapping yarn to create little animals. Need to try that again.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Edited by - Julia on Sep 04 2005 7:50:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Potholder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page