Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Stress and Colds Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile
My immune system has taken a hit this week and I am suffering from a particularly nasty cold and sinus headache. I know it is the stress I am experiencing in my life and I have tried to counteract with b vitamins, vitamin c and extra rest. What do you gals use to shore up the immune system and bring it to balance? I am interested in herbal teas or supplements.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  3:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, I'm particularly happy with Emer'gen-C packets. They are labeled "Super Energy Booster, containing 1000 mg Vitamin C as Seven Mineral Ascorbates Fizzing Drink Mix. 32 mineral complexes and B vitamins.. Just add water!" I take them every couple hours when feeling crummy. They are available in different flavors in the cold remedy aisle or vitamin aisle. Sending you good healing thoughts.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 31 2005 3:45:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare! I know I can always count on ya for good advice!

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I make a tea by soaking fresh ginger with bramble leaves in hot water but I don't drink much hot tea in the summer with no ac. When I get wacked in the summer I mix the ginger tincture with fresh blackberries and lots more fruits into a fruit smoothie.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  6:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Clare, I have a friend that does endurance riding who swears by EmergenC. She keeps it in her saddlebags during all her races. It has a lot of electrolytes in it.

Personally, I take a homeopathic immune system booster called Engystol N. It's made by a German company called Heel. I can buy it on the internet or get it from my chiropractor. I keep the sublingual tabs in my car, and any time I come in contact with someone who's sick, I smile and pretend I don't care; and then I go to the car and throw a couple under my tongue! I haven't had a cold in several years, and have only had the flu twice in the 22 years I've lived here.

They also make it in a glass ampule. I feed it to my horses, too. It's amazing stuff!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Clare and Meadowlark,
We also use the Emergen-C packets mixed with water, add a few Tablespoons of elderberry syrup and some echinacea tincture.
The "Concoction" we call it.
At the very beginning of a cold, like very first symptoms, I'll take it every few hours with two dropperfuls of tincture.That usually will stop it in it's tracks.
If you start it after the cold is in force, that much echinacea won't really do anything except empty the bottle!!

Sue
sooo very happy to be back!!Missed you girls.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  06:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Sue BlueEggbabe! We have missed you! Hope all is well!

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Around this time of year, depending on the weather (seems to work better once it gets colder),
I start taking elderberry, either capsules, or elixir mixed in filtered water. I have been under a lot of stress the past few years (family problems), and I have not had a cold since I began taking the elderberry. Nothing else has changed, though I have been cutting back on calories and "white food" - but only the past year. The elderberry seems to be it. If you can get real elderberry wine, a small glassful can help also - just make sure the label says made from elderberries, and not flavored with elderberries.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  12:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Elderberry wine... what a great idea! A terrific excuse to kick back in the easy chair with a book and soft light - unwind after a long day!
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  7:29:52 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the fresh ginger tea. I mix mine with a little honey for a sore throat. I also am a firm believer in Chiropractic adjustment on a regular basis. It unblocks the system and allows whatever you take to work better.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Stress and Colds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page