Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic ideas for kids? Next Topic  

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  11:55:21 AM  Show Profile
My daughters are only almost 7 and almost 9 and really want to start a business. Any ideas? We live in the country so there's no dog walking or lemonade stand opportunities. :) I think my 6 year old is going to take over the care of the chickens and sell the eggs, but my 9 year old is still stumped. We've thought of maybe making homemade body care products, but that may be too complicated to keep up with...we've never done anything like that before. Please help us brainstorm!

Farmgirl Sister #138

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  12:03:13 PM  Show Profile
How about a seedling stand this Spring? Start her out now with some vege seeds and flower seeds and sell them that way. Make a cute hand painted "Farm Fresh Egg's and Seedling's 4 Sale sign. When I was young, I mucked out stalls for a bit of dough. If there's another farm that needs a hand, that's always a possibility. It was years ago, but I got a $1.50 a stall. Seemed like a million dollars then, especially in a racehorse barn!!

Then there is always babysitting (which I hated...)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  12:08:17 PM  Show Profile
My boys once sold fishing worms they dug in our compost area (I won't say pile..cuz that sounds neat and it wasn't) and did really well. I would drive them to the fishing holes and we would fish and they would sell worms. They had a little sign out front for awhile too. They loved it. I guess that would depend on how "girly" your girls are. My oldest daughter would for sure handle worms..but younger one wouldn't.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  11:05:03 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a great idea to involve children in a business so they can understand how money works, what you have to do to earn it, I think it can be a great lesson for later on in life.
I don't know that I have any good ideas though for your older daughter... Sorry...

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings

And my latest amusement: http://foundmuseum.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile
When I was 12, brother 9, we had an odd jobs company. We went around to neighbors we knew, and asked to mow lawns, etc. We only got ripped off once, and learned to agree to a price before we started work. My dad had a fruit/vege business, and we would go to the Oregon Coast on weekends, and sell produce on the road side. Dad would sell us one type of produce, and we would have to figure out how much to sell it for to make a good profit. We really learned a lot doing that. If your girls make any crafts, you might consider a craft fair table. People are suckers for kid crafts!

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  09:30:33 AM  Show Profile
When I was ten, I wanted to open a pet store in our front living room. LOL My mum helped me come up with a good alternate 'business' that would allow me to have a little extra spending moolah, and still do something pet-related. She helped me put together a monthly newsletter, just a couple pages long, where I could write articles on pet health, etc. I had about 35 subscribers (friends and family) who paid the $12 subscription cost ($1/issue).

I would read up on different areas of pet care, or what kinds of animals made the best pets for kids, etc. and write articles on those topics. I'd also interview 'pet professionals', such as animal shelter workers, pet groomers, veterinarians, etc., and write an article on them and their establishment. The more supportive ones even paid me to include an ad in my newsletter. Another thing I did was interview pet owners and write up a story about their pet. A lot of people loved to have the article all about their fur baby, and were very enthusiastic about it.

My mum would take the articles, edit them, and then type everything out and combine everything I'd provided (articles, artwork, classified ads, etc.) into the finished newsletter. We would then take it down to the local copy shop, and the owner printed off the 35 copies free for us each month.

I remember making close to $300 profit off of this, and at ten years old, that was quite the accomplishment.

If your daughter likes to write at all, something like that might be fun for her. Of course, it doesn't have to be pet related, I'm sure any topic she loves would be fun for her to write about. It's a good way to practice math, English, and 'people' skills, too. :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic ideas for kids? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page