Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  06:56:04 AM  Show Profile
I have attempted to milk a cow, have helped shear sheep and was knocked unconscious last summer when I feel out of the cherry tree when the ladder collapsed. Have you ever castrated pigs?

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile
No, I never castrated pigs.But, I will never forget when I had the bright idea that a blonde streak would look good. I had auburn hair and the streak was right in the front,think bangs! It took forever to grow out. It wasn't a pretty blonde either it was brassy! No one else back then did that so it was just me and my mother.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  2:56:04 PM  Show Profile
oh brenda .. i have surely never castrated a pig .. nor have i been knocked unconscious falling out of ANY tree! you are an adventuresome gurl my dear! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Let's see.
I did milk a cow a few times...just to do it...not to finish milking for work.
Never helped a birthing but watched kittens being born once.
I wasn't knocked out...but fainted a few times.
Never really raced a car or anything.
I have done some singing and acting on stage...sing each year at Christmas in a production.
Also I have made speeches in front of groups. Sometimes as a lay-preacher in churches.
Never killed an animal but we lived on a farm and only heard about it. Us kids stayed inside when the chickens were being killed.

I have one though, did you ever fly an airplane or sit in front with the pilot? I worked at an airport in Alaska and got to fly a few times in the small 2 seater cargo planes....one time the pilot told me to take the wheel and steer for awhile so I could say I flew the plane and I did! I was so sick nauseated that he kept asking me if I was sick and I denied it...LOL
loved seeing the Yukon river from that plane and moose, etc.

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Part of the job on the college farm was castrating the pigs and sheep...oh it was one of those jobs I hated to do. But the worst would have to be hands down cleaning out the hog pit. Oh my that smell lasted for days. Ick!

Never flown a plane and only rode in 2 planes, small and commercial..and probably would be my last time. I'm too afraid of heights!

Have you ever sang on stage of the Grand Ole Opry? We have a few times during their backstage tours while in Nashville. It will be a memorable experience I'll never forget!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
this is fun! getting to know each other better

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile
This is going to be fun - let's see if I can remember them all
*Yes I have milked a cow, goat, llama but the cat would have nothing to do with me.
*I have not only yelled at a big biker dude but then arm wrestled him and won - amazing what a couple of drinks will do for a gal.
*I have butchered a chicken but not because I wanted to but rather it was to put her out of pain (attacked by a dog)
*I have sheared way too many sheep,goats,llamas,alpacas,dog and kids with hand shears. That is how I make a living
*I have castered a variety of animals but that was only the first year of our farm - now I never do that to my four legged friends but I sure know some two legged guys I would like to do that too !
*I have skinny dipped but that was before having kids - things just are not the same after kids even under water
*I have been knocked out several times - once in a car rolling nine times down the mountain and landing in a creek but the longest was when a alpaca slambed me into the side of a barn and shattered my jaw. They think I was out for about 25 minutes. Maybe that is why I see life with stars floating around.
*I have had my hair dyed strawberrry blonde and the next day it was green - I am not that much of an artist to pull it off so I had to redye it again to my natural color. I should have been happy with what nature gave me.
*I have pulled more animals then I can count - no human babies so far.
*I only got lost once in the woods because the police stopped the bus I was on when I was 17 to search for "TED BUNDY" that's right and the police told us they were turning the bus around back to Denver or I could walk to the next town. They said it was only two miles but by the time my nerves calmed down I found myself completely lost. I walked in a complete circle. I was too scared to hitch hike so I kept walking - finally when I got to my hotel I cried for the rest of the night. Some vaction !
*I once found a wonderful ring at the beach in Mexico - turned it in to the police.
*I have given many speeches in front of large groups - I teach fiber arts and animal care - it is what I do.
The first time I rode in the front seat of a puddle jumper was when I was in Seattle and threw up in my purse. I hate flying small planes!!
*I went to a modeling school with my girlfriend when I was fifteen because everyone kept saying I was a tom girl - I learned that I am perfect just the way I am - besides I have fashioned a great life being who I am

* Here is one I am sure not too many have done - Have you ever spent two weeks with your legs pulled up in the air above your head? I did - the doctors tried to keep my second son from coming three months early. They placed each ankle in straps and the raised them 4 feet in the air. I spent two weeks that way and then on bed rest for three months - worked because then when it was time to deliver him he would not come out so I had to have a c-section. He was my last

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  7:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Let's see...
No to milking a cow, but I have milked goats
No to butchering a chicken, but do want to raise some broilers and learn how
No to shearing, but have combed and brushed enough fur off my dog and cats to knit up a few sweaters for Jenny's shearing boy (was he in need of a shirt, or am I just dreaming???)
No intentional skinny dipping, but have lost half a swim suit while body surfing (back in the day)
No to any hair dying; I like my grays
No to pulling any babies from any animal
No to treasures on the beach...unless you count the Australian Lifeguard team!
Yes (at last!) to speaking in front of a large group...if you count kids at summer camps.
No to small planes
No to modeling school
No to legs pulled up...thank goodness!

Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Jessica,
I can soooo relate to cleaning pig pens. So disgusting! I go in with big ol' waders! LOL! Last fall at the Interstate Fair I actually got "trampled" by a run away pig. Like a dummy I decided to be brave and throw myself in front of the pig to stop him. Duh. . . did I mention he was double my weight! LOL! A few bruises and lots of laughter later, I learned what not to do with pigs! LOL!

Have you ever talked on the phone with Johnny Cash or Dionne Warwick? Or went snow skiing on Red Mountain with Henry Winkler? Okay, so technically I wasn't skiing "with" Henry Winkler, but we did go down the same slope just feet away from each other! LOL! I used to work in the news room at the newspaper and answered the phone when Johnny Cash called . . . we talked about the weather! And then I worked at music studio where Dionne Warwick recorded. I also talked to Kevin Coe on the phone too, but that gave me the creeps . . . he is the guy that raped all the women in Spokane and the one that the book and movie "Son" was based off of.

Brenda

Now the pigs are in a very large outdoor pen, which has actually cut down on a lot of the mess. Much of is just naturally composted back into the ground.

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  8:33:35 PM  Show Profile
i guess my claim to 'telephone fame' ... is muhammed ali .. THE GREATEST ... he is a very good friend to one of my bosses at the Department of Justice .. (actually GOT him his job by talking with a Senator who recommends names to the White House!)

My boss was a law professor at a University in Virginia .. and was giving a course on Ali's Civil Right to NOT be drafted into the military. Ali (who lived in the same town .. heard of it .. and one day ... the door opened .. and ALI took a seat in the back of the class! They became good friends .. and he would often call and sometimes visit the office. First time i ever spoke to him .. i recognized his 'wavery' voice immediately .. he asked me if i knew who he was .. i replied: "yes sir .. you are the GREATEST" .. he laughed a hearty laugh.

When Bobby Kennedy was the Attorney General .. he instituted a yearly Christmas Party for the underprivileged children in D.C. and brought lots of Washington Redskin football players and popular movie stars (NOOOOO .. never saw Marilyn there!!) to attend so the children could meet them. Famous entertainers and politicians and dignataries would often visit him .. but out of all of them .. Kennedy was my mos' fav! (by the way .. his brother did NOT come to him .. Bobby went to his brother!) I remember one of the parties .. when Kennedy got on the elevator i was on with a man who 'appeared' to be in a 'mime/clown' kinda' outfit. I almost told him how cute his costume was .. when Bobby called him "Honorable (the name will remain nameless). He was a dignatary from a foreign country and this was his country's clothing! OH THANK YOU LORDY that i kept my tongue!!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  8:41:33 PM  Show Profile
"No to shearing, but have combed and brushed enough fur off my dog and cats to knit up a few sweaters for Jenny's shearing boy (was he in need of a shirt, or am I just dreaming???)"

Sharon! That cracked me up! I almost spit out my hot chocolate through my nose

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  9:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace I'm cracking up over the arm wrestling the biker!! Well the only time with the leg thing was when I had knee surgery and had to keep it propped up on pillows. I just can't imagine what you had to go through!!

Brenda...those hog pits were the worst. The last time I did it was the absolute last time because I about passed out from the fumes (where the toxicity of something in them and you can't be down there too long). I can shovel manure out of a stall, but getting down in the floor of the hog pit - no thank you! I remember I was living in a dorm and had to put my clothes and shoes in garbage bags with frebreeze. Oh and the memories of hollering "cattle check!" in the hallways at 2AM when we had cattle/sheep/hog checks. I had to keep a knee brace on a lot (pre-surgery) because of having to wrestle the animals to give shots, feeding, etc.

Johnny Cash is one person I have always wanted to meet but the only time I did was his grave back a few years ago. While we were on our honeymoon, I was driving around and one of our friends in Nashville gave us directions on how to find his house and a few others instead of paying a lot of money for those tour buses. Well...I didn't know it at the time until I showed my parents the photos, but I actually turned around in Johnny Cash's driveway. Oops! The gate was open and had a turnabout and the for sale sign. Hubby took a couple of photos and I was showing them to my parents. Then I saw photos in a book of his house and went "uh oh, we did a turnaround in his driveway!" However last year I was able to get a piece of stained glass window from his house. There are a few folks that I have talked on the phone due to family connections, but I won't mention who they are. ;-)

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  04:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I haven't sheered anything or anyone..yet. The bikers I know are all friends, yes, there are several in a Harley club that I know. Tough guys, not just weekend professionals...
:-)

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  04:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
yes, I used to skinny dip when I had the chance. At night after a hotel pool was closed was one time. That was fun. LOL

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  08:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Yarn Mama! You wild thing, you! LOL!

I actually had one such experience after hours on our honeymoon when we snuck into the hotel hot tub "ala natural". The funniest thing was this was back in the days of those metal wire grid chairs. Took our hot, prune shrunken bodies out of the tub, sat on those and looked like we had been rolling in chicken wire! LOL! I know, I know . . . "over-sharing."

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  08:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Brenda! that's funny!

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  08:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok, my turn:

- Yes, I have milked a cow
- Yes, I have butchered a chicken
- No, I've never sheared anything, (except dh one New Year's Eve when we were first married - it was his fault - he wanted a hair cut after we drank a bottle of champagne)
- No to skinny dipping - I've NEVER had the body for it!
- Yes to hair dye - I held out until I was 55, then caved!
- Yes to helping birth animal babies.
- No real treasures at the beach, although we keep looking!
- Yes to speaking in front of a large audience - I used to teach immigrant and refugee parents and most of the time when I spoke there were interpreters for 5 or 6 languages. That was a new skill I had to learn - speaking, then pausing for interpretation, not going too slow or fast.
- Modeling school? You mean how to put together model airplanes? Ha!
- Never spent any time with my legs pulled up in the air.

OK, here's mine - have you ever spent a long period of time living completely alone - with no contact with any outside world and off the grid? I spent four months in our cabin alone last year, and two months of that our only neighbors were gone. I went to town every two weeks for groceries and to use my cell phone to call dh who was working in Las Vegas. My cell phone wouldn't work at the cabin. I spent my days ANYWAY I wanted, aside for taking care of the neighbors horses and chickens and talking to my dog. It was lonely, but really really relaxing.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic WELL! I NEVER!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page