Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I am crying as I write this....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I am crying as I write this.... Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  06:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I don't usually use this forum to take a stand, but I think this is a good place to start. I hope that each and everyone of you has seen the news on TV today. The lead story is about a beef recall. The Humane Society got video footage of inhumane treatment of beef cattle at a Southern California slaughterhouse. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident. THIS IS COMMONPLACE. Our beef industry is guilty of inhumane, torturous treatment of innocent animals each and every day. The content is extremely graphic, but if you want to see the story, you can see it here on ABC's website...

www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4304909 (I WARN you, the video content is very graphic....I cried and cried)

Our beef is no longer grazed on pasture, but is force-fed corn and made to stand knee deep in their own manure....sickly....given antibiotics and growth hormones...which are then passed to us in the meat.

On top of that, these poor creatures spend their lives suffering cruelties that would make your skin crawl only to be followed with terrifying, horrific deaths.....

Today I am so saddened by what humanity is capable of....and I feel so helpless in making a difference. I personally, will never eat a bite of beef that has not been locally grown and pastured. Cattle at least deserve a good life grazing in the warmth of the sun...until such time that they can receive a humane end. They are God's creatures...not just protein.

Sorry about the rant, but I had to get this off my chest ...and if just one of you reads this and decides to also boycot grocery store restaurant, and fast food beef, then I feel like I HAVE made a difference today. Thanks for reading.

Visit my blog at: www.sewonandsewfourth.blogspot.com
Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Feb 18 2008 06:21:56 AM

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  06:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Bev!!! I can't believe it either!!! It was so easy for me to go vegan for that very reason! I can't eat eggs because of the inhuman way factory farms treat chickens,or eat or drink any milk products because again dairy cows in factory farms are so mistreated! I want nothing to suffer for my pleasure!!!! Thanks for posting this! Its so important and sad! hugs and love to you sweet Bev!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  06:58:35 AM  Show Profile
I know, I have seen the report several times and I have to turn away. We had lots of cows on our farm and I can't imagine hurting them. So sad. Hope this report will at least help put an end to such things.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  07:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Agree whole heartedly with you, Bev. Unfortunately, I couldn't be in the room at anytime last night when the news came on with the story. I've worked with humane societies who investigate the cruelties at slaughterhouses and if it doesn't make you want to stop eating meat, I don't know what would.

They are God's creatures. There will be some justice for this Bev, I can only hope. You've already started people thinking with your post.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile
That was so hard to watch. We raise beef cattle, and I look at our "boys" grazing in the pasture right at the fence next to my backyard, and tell them they don't know how lucky they are.

I don't know how some people sleep at night.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  08:28:45 AM  Show Profile
What's even sadder is that people probably saw that report and will still go out to their local supermarket and purchase meat, be it beef, chicken, turkey, pork, etc., that's been raised and slaughtered like that. It seems that too many people just don't care and that makes me as sad as knowing that animals are being treated like that. In fact, it might even make me more sad becuase it's people like that who make it so those practices won't change.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  08:41:51 AM  Show Profile
I saw that on the news this morning and I had to look away - how could anyone be so cruel to living creatures?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Beverly I know exactly what you mean. I've left the room several times as they've shown this. It's so hard to believe they receive this treatment in today's day and age, it's beyond horrific.
We buy 4-H beef from a family we know and share it among three of our extended families, fresh eggs too when we can get them and Farmer's Market to supplement our own. We are so lucky to live an area that makes this easy to do.
If anything good can come from such a horrible incident (KNOWN incident - I know there are many many others I'm sure). I hope that all this gets people looking locally to caring, humane growers.

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:18:46 AM  Show Profile
What can we do to help make a difference?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile
It is a sad and sick world where people do this kind of thing to their fellow creatures. I cannot eat beef, or any other animal that I don't know where and how it was raised. considering becoming vegitarian anyway. How do these people live with them selves? I get just sick looking art this and the fur trade too.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile

I am with you - I spent the longest time crying when I saw the report but I already knew that was happening all over. For tweleve years I tried to educate those who came to my farm, showed animals and raised animals for food consumption. All I received back was "Oh, that is the weird lady from the Funny Farm" or "We have been doing it this way for (fill in the blank) years and we are not starting something new" Folks have given me grief because I will not eat meat that is raised by others, I raise my own eggs from happy, running around, loved chickens - who I would never eat. I was once placed in charge of inspecting all the slaughter houses in Colorado for our 4H organization. I spent a week crying and throwing up - the 4H higher ups did not like my report and dismissed my findings. I wished people could understand what is really going on in our food sources and I hope that there is a special punishment for those who participate in the torture of any living thing.

I had to go out to my barn and give hugs, kisses and kind words to my goats. I still cry everytime I even think of those sweet cows - Let's do better.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile
This is one reason why it's best to grow your own humanely or else from a neighbor or someone in the community who does it humanely that you know.
Mass produced anything is not good.

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  10:03:34 AM  Show Profile
I posted about this on my blog- it's totally a soapbox post...but, maybe it will make one person think.
This kind of disgusting thin is just a symptom of a bigger problem- our culture, our lifestyle, our thinking.

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  10:07:35 AM  Show Profile
we'll be buying bison meat that is grass fed/free ranged.seeing this really makes me want to think about vegetarian..but I must have protein from time to time though in the form of meat.
that video was absolutely horrible.I just sat here in utter shock... and even especially so for anyone that has ever raised cattle it is extremely, extremely disturbing.I cannot imagine anyone treating animals like that.I wonder how they'd feel being dragged across a concrete floor and shovelled with a forklift??I think this is probably only the tip of the iceberg on how alot of things are..this company managed to get "caught in the act"..I do think there are many more that are just as guilty of the same thing.How horrible!
I know of some folks that have actually driven trucks for the cattle industry around and they say that some of the animals are barely standing by the time they get them delivered to the slaughter houses..it really is horrible. We used to have cows that we raised for food and even then we babied them and loved them while we had them and made sure they had plenty to eat and were treated absolutely wonderful.
this is truly a crying shame..literally.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  10:25:46 AM  Show Profile
the folks mentioned above that used to drive the trucks..quit because they could not stand the thought of being involved with such.
--------------
we will not be buying hardly any /if any at all..of our meats from the grocery stores now.
We have started ordering our meat from
blackwing.com
-----------
We'll be growing much of our own vegetables this year too....hopefully...
I just planted quite a few seeds yesterday..then a hard rain came in last night..so I'm hoping everything didn't get washed away.
--------------
I encourage those of you that can/have the means to/
To go in together with friends that own property...and do a "part/share" on a cow...meaning each family chips in on buying a calf....and the calf is pastured and fed at another familys farm that has the space/land. Each family pitches in on the feed and upkeep then at slaughtering time all goes in together to pay for humane slaughtering /packaging of the meat.
Then it gets divvied up amongst the families.
I know some folks that do this with another family or two each year.
This way you know exactly what you are getting..how it has been raised and fed,etc.
------------
As soon as our chickens are able to lay eggs..we will not be buying eggs at the store anymore either.
We have only been buying the egglands best brand but those are a wee bit pricey.
but as soon as our gals start laying we'll have our own free range eggs.
We let our gals run all over the yard being as chickens should be..and we feed them plenty of feed and water.
I can bet they'll be a world of difference on how their eggs wind up tasting too.
--------------

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  11:23:04 AM  Show Profile
This video really makes me sick but I forced myself to sit through it and watch it. These poor animals! I think the problem at these feed lots and butchering places is that thousands of animals walk through everyday and they don't even think of them as living and breathing things. It is horrible.
My uncle used to drive a hog truck and he talked (while laughing) about carrying a hammer for any hogs that didn't do what they wanted...they would hit them on the head or snout with a hammer. I sat there in shock when he said it (I was about ten years old at the time). I think things like this happen all over, every day.
This really is making me realize that the meat we eat is not good. Not only are the animals we eat treated badly but they are very unhealthy as well.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  11:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
You know, Dalyn, I agree that this is a symptom of a much bigger problem in our world. When I watched the news this morning, I was ready to resign from the human race! It seems that the collective "we" think that we have dominion over everything to use as we see fit. It is my belief that we were given the resources to provide for ourselves, but more importantly, we were given the responsibility of taking care of the lesser beasts....that we share the earth and truly live a symbiotic existence with conscience and care. Humanity is capable of truly monstrous acts....it is time for change. Our planet is in peril and it is our own fault.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I feel so very strongly about this. I am doing everything in my power to live the sort of life that I believe in, but I know that there are many more out there who just don't care....and that makes my heart so very heavy. It is so good to be here on this forum surrounded by those who believe as I do....it is reassuring that there is still a soul left somewhere in humanity.

Visit my blog at: www.sewonandsewfourth.blogspot.com
Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  12:11:45 PM  Show Profile
I guess this isn't shocking to me, as I've been to auction barns and see how animals get treated by many people in the farm communities (we live in a dairy community.) It's sad, but this abuse happens everywhere, not just agri-farms and slaughter houses.

And here's the thing, folks: This is the reason we've now got NAIS to worry about. The USDA and APHIS continually spew lies and half truths about the safety of our food coming from the farm, while agri-business pushes for animal ID to keep everyone safe. Yet one look at this and you'll know why there's contaminated meat out there, and it's not because of the small family farm. No one is going to be able to trace these meats back to a farm when it happens at the slaughter house (well, they will and blame some poor farmer when it's not his fault.)

quote:
The recall will affect beef products dating to Feb. 1, 2006,

Here's what I want to know...how do recall beef from two years ago? Hasn't that already been consumed?

Desperate Horsewife, raising funds for the Mustang Makeover!
http://desperate-horsewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  12:28:29 PM  Show Profile
As we all hear of the cruelty in which these animals are treated I would like for you to remember to the slaughter of our horses which are no longer wanted or who are old. They are sent to Canada and Mexico for slaughter. What kind of people can live with themselves after being so cruel to such sweet animals. There must be a way to stop such evil and cruel things.

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  1:12:59 PM  Show Profile
It makes me so glad that our family either raises our own or buys locally. It is just scary out there. There are so many scary things that we all are expected to just ignore in order to eat as we please. Just sad.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  1:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Now we are even having slaughter houses in Wyoming who are taking the llamas and alpacas that folks can not sell anymore. I get calls weekly from folks who want me to go to a sale barn and rescue a llama who has fallen on hard times because of slick snake oil salesman sold folks a lie. Recently a farm was foreclosed on and when the bank went there to check over the house they found, 8 llamas, countless goats and sheep and 6 chain up dogs. None had been cared for who knows how long. Many had to be put down. I sat for hours crying so hard I could bearly catch my breath because I could not take them in - I understand hardship- God knows I have lived it but when will there come a stop to the madness, greed and inhumanity?

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  3:39:34 PM  Show Profile
really was an eye opener for me and SO sad for those poor animals . I rarely eat meat but not sure if i can anymore now.

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  4:07:00 PM  Show Profile
I saw this on the news today and it just made me sick. I will now only buy locally grown, grass fed beef. If I can't get it we won't eat it. But then you have the poor chickens and pigs that suffer the same kind of thing. It is horrible.

My Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

I'm A Rusty Chick!!!
PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  4:16:18 PM  Show Profile
What I found particularly sad about the whole thing is that there had been several USDA officials on site repeatedly for inspections, and yet it was a random, under-cover Humane Society investigation that brought the whole thing to light. Yet another reason I only buy locally from people and businesses I know.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Don't buy from the store if possible. Buy direct from a farmer/grower in your locality. Encourage everyone to do the same in your cirlce of influence.
Don't breed extras...if you can't feed them don't get them. That's one way to fix the "extra' livestock problem.

Dalyn
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  5:42:39 PM  Show Profile
**WARNING - huge soapbox rant ahead**

Actually guys, and I hate to say this, but that is NOT news to me. Call me the hippy city vegetarian, but I've known about the situation for years, and for 17 years now, I've been a vegetarian because of this. And this is why I am also a member of several FARM SANCTUARIES that take in farm animals from cruelty situations like this.

Now mind you, I'm not one of those folks who is going to tell people not to eat meat. Frankly, it's not my call, but I feel that if you're going to get sustenance from an animal, show your "thanks" by giving that animal some sort of decent life before you take it's life. I don't mean frou-frou living, but for heaven's sake let them OUTSIDE into the sun, to graze to eat what's right, and give them space. If they are sick, either treat them or euthanize them.

Which reminds me....for those of you who are JUST NOW being made aware, and have seen that video, trust me, it gets NO BETTER with the way they treat chicken, swine, veal, or any other "grown" food. They will crowd these poor beasts so they live in their own fecal matter, and even if something dies in the same cage, they'll make the living ones live on top of it. There are pigs who are crowded in cages so small they cant EVEN TURN AROUND. This is until they go to slaughter. Ugg, I could go on and on...trust me, you don't want to see it, but just go to the Humane Society of the US homepage and you will see it ALL

This has been going on for decades. We need to be better educated about what we put into our bodies, and how we treat the poor beasts that give their lives for us. Again, I won't speak against people who eat meat, nor do I think it's unnatural; we are omnivores, but I think we need a bit of compassion, too

I think the best thing we can do is be educated consumers. If there is a reason to go back to family run, small farms, this would be it!
**End of rant***

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I am crying as I write this.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page