Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 One of the last "acceptable" prejudices...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic One of the last "acceptable" prejudices... Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  08:16:00 AM  Show Profile
i lived through those de-segregation days in the heart of washington, d.c. too. i'm proud to say that when at DOJ .. our office (under Kennedy) worked directly on the drafting of the Civil Rights Bill .. for ALL people. it was far broader than a black/white thing! CHANGE usually comes about in most areas .. rural and city .. as 'progress' marches on. (today most of us have the wonder of electricity and indoor plumbing .. and are thankful for it .. it just makes our lives 'easier') .. many years ago .. both country and city dwellers didn't have either of those!)

and many, many city dwellers have their roots in the country. (my own family on both my mom and dad's side does .. but they chose to gravitate to the 'city' where they could make more money to feed their families. (as thousands of rural folk did during the 'great depression') MANY liked the lifestyle and stayed. Some learned new skills and took them back 'home' to share. i've seen great change come about through protests and marches .. and sadly, sometimes it does take a not so peaceful 'wake up call' .. to effect change. (i.e. the Civil War) .. i do believe from my experience .. that the MOST effective change comes through 'education'. not FORCING our values onto someone else .. but a sharing of ideas and technology .. and when people see advantages that they want in their own lives .. that's when the most lasting and genuine change comes about.

i do wish in my heart of hearts that people would see the positive changes that come about by bringing in new ideas, concepts, thinking into our lives. not FORCED .. but a sharing of things we didn't know about before. then we can each decide if these are things we'd like to add to or incorporate into our lifestyle. can we all think of something that was taught/shown to us that was NOT in our life until someone from 'off' shared something new and wonderful with us that we are thankful for .. rather than looking for the 'few' examples (in comparison) that make us 'mad'? most of these things were probably already in our area of the country .. but someone showing it to us in a 'new way' is sometimes exactly what we needed to 'see' it and know that it was something that we'd like too.

often .. it is just 'timing' as to when something .. an idea .. POPS or becomes popular.

i was first made aware of the IMPORTANCE of healthy fresh foods .. when we moved to the mountains of colorado .. AND .. it just so happens that this is when my children were little and the 'timing' was right .. for me to want to learn more about this lifestyle in order to have the healthiest children i could possibly have. i was 'open' to hear these mountain folk who had been living off the land .. and chose to incorporate these changes into my lifestyle .. rather than .. feel they were 'forcing' their lifestyle on me. AND .. NOT EVERYONE in colorado eats a healthy diet! the timing .. the people who came into my life .. it was all just right when i was receptive to it.

you can be 'well educated' ... OR NOT .. in this day and age anywhere you live in the United States .. and MUCH of this is owed to people from other areas than our own. (AND oh how much we owe to everyone who pays TAXES .. and that knows no boundaries!!!) in time of 'epidemics' and 'catastrophies' .. we all owe MUCH to people from OFF who come to our rescue. soooo .. i'm thinking we should all embrace those kind-hearted souls and not pay much mind to the ones who we believe belittle us .. after all .. it is simply THEIR opinion. if we are truly proud of who we are .. we don't have to 'justify' ourselves. LOOK FOR THE GOOD IN EVERYONE. WE ARE ALL ONE IN GOD'S SIGHT!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic One of the last "acceptable" prejudices... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page