palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  06:43:05 AM  Show Profile
years ago when i was first married a friend of ours asked if we'd ever had vennison? i told him no. he said he had a bunch in his freezer and was gonna drop some off. he said you should really add a lot of wine and spices, etc to kind of hide the gamey taste. anyway i got home and unwrapped this stuff in freezer paper and thought gee, it doesn't even look like meat, but whatever... so i put this stuff in the crock-pot with tons of garlic, onions, carrots, a million spices and lots of red wine. when i got home the house smelled like a sewer! he had given me blue fish by mistake! it was so bad, i unplugged the crock-pot, held my breath and ran a half acre away and threw it in the field next door. not even wild animals would go near it! my husband came home and i ran out to the car and just said honey, let's go for pizza.... while the house was airing out!!

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  08:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
LOL! That is so funny! I don't remember having to do anything like that, but I did try to make some meatballs one time that were TERRIBLE! I didn't have time to do my own, so I threw in a bag of those ready made ones and added some of my own ingredients that I usually use. They were sooo bad!! My husband usually eats and likes anything I cook, but he couldn't even swallow them..lol I felt so bad and had to pop pizzas in the oven as a back up. They went in the trash real quick.lol

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile
We had a favorite resturant that served this chocolate fluff...not quite mousse, with warm sugary totilla chips. I decided I could simulate this in my own kitchen. Anyhoooooo...I added ingredients, no not quite right...added some more...not yet...until I had EVERY large bowl I owned, and most flat surfaces filled with the chocolately goo/fluff. It was like a Lucy rerun. I never did achieve the perfect fluffy dessert. We headed out to the resturant instead.

Sue, you fish story well...I swear I could SMELL it! Ewwwwwwww! LOL

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Funny funny story!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  2:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Once when we were first married my dh and I were invited to a pot luck with a mexican theme at my husband's bosses house. I, being the youngest wife, only had to bring the guacamole. Well, I was VERY inexperienced and was mixing the ingredients for the guacamole up in my mixer (I should have just been using a fork) and the rubber spatula I was using got caught in the beaters and shredded it. I picked all the big pieces out, but needless to say, the guacamole was a little "chewy" that night!

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  4:31:44 PM  Show Profile
I have a recipe for wonderful cranberry-pecan biscotti (you know those hard, wedge-shaped Italian cookies?). Well, one time I mixed up a nice batch and baked them - twice, per the recipe - on a cookie sheet that I'd used to cover a pan of trout that baked the night before. The cookie sheet looked perfectly clean, but those cookies had an awful whiff of fish about them. Horrible! Ever since, when I make biscottis, my husband cries, "I hope these aren't FISHCOTTIS!" Needless to say, I don't make 'em much anymore

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  5:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I have had the same thing happen in a cast iron frying pan that I seared salmon in. The odor just permeates the metal!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  5:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Exactly! I refuse to cook fish in my cast iron pan anymore - in fact, its BBQ or bust!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
ummmm, so tonight I made the worst thing ever!
I left split pea soup on the stove in my favorite pot...and forgot it! Went to twon for the day.
Let's just say it's charcoal and all the house was filled with black smoke with the alarms going off when when I got home. Neighbors couldn't hear, we are up on a loneley hill. Bummer. Haven't teold my husband yet. eek!
We are eating bread and butter for dinner (go figure) and we re wrapped up in blankets 'cause all the doors and windows are still open to air the house out.
Sense of humor is good in these situations. The horses were very curious about the whole thing- hanging their heads over the fence and watching me run around to each door- dashing in, opening it and the windows in that room, and hen dashing back out coughing. Where's the video cam?

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  06:24:49 AM  Show Profile
boy, i really enjoyed reading all your stories..... and isn't it great when you can laugh about it!?!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  06:37:18 AM  Show Profile
When we were first married I made my Mom's recipe for lemon merange (SP?) pie. which was my husbands favorite. Well I don't to this day know what I did,but it wouldn't set. So I decided it would be best if I put it in the freezer. NOT! I called my Grandma all upset, and she said honey just open the garbage can and in it goes. Never say anything and no one will be the wiser. She said you don't know how many times I have done that. So that is what I did. I left the lemon pies to my Mom for a long time after that.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:04:59 AM  Show Profile
what's amazing to me it that when stuff like that happens, like the pie doesn't set, how heavy that stuff is when you toss it in the trash. i've tried to hide some disasters now and then and when dick goes to take out the trash, you should see his face when it goes to pick it up......"what the he#* is in here?!"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile
I tried to cook a duck in a microwave once LOL....it was just plain nasty. It never did get done and it was so dripping in grease. I think we ate PBJ sandwiches

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  07:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Just a couple of weeks ago, I was grocery shopping, and in my quest to eat less meat, I thought I'd try that vegetarian "rolled" meat-type stuff in my homemade chili. I was a vegetarian for 8 years, but had never tried anything like this outside of veggie burgers. I made my chili like normally, but used this stuff as "beef". When I went for the final taste, it was terrible. I mean AWFUL. So, a bit more cumin, some cayenne, s & p, more chili powder and garlic. Nothing changed it. I think I'll just stick to vege chili and disregard the "faux" meat. I threw the whole pot out into the garbage. Gross!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  08:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - I'm not familiar with the "rolled" meat-type stuff you're describing. Is it frozen, or dry or what?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  09:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, it's just like you would buy rolled sausage or goetta or something like that. It's always in the refrigerated section of the organic/vege foods in our stores. They have regular, beef and chicken flavored....which...again, what the "flavor" is I'm not sure because it would stand to reason that it would HAVE to be created because it's a vegetarian item...anyway. I don't recommend it :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  09:37:21 AM  Show Profile
I get it - you mean like a tube of meat - I was picturing rolled, like in a fruit roll up!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  09:40:12 AM  Show Profile
That would be even worse, I think :)

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile
i love the "faux" meat story! i have a girlfriend who is a vegetarian....she invited me over for thanksgiving one year. she explained to me that she took tofu and mixed poultry seasoning in it and then "squished it out"---the tofu? and formed it into what she thought looked like a roast turkey on a platter. i did not think it was good and have never gotten over it! i've heard tofu is good for you, is there a way to make it taste any good?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  10:37:09 AM  Show Profile
I like tofu in most anything. A local place makes it fried in salads and things, and its good! I remember that, when I was vegetarian, it meant vegetables and not meat "supplements"...I really like veggie burgers, but that's as far as my faux meat goes.

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile
I think the worst thing I ever made was creme caramel sauce. I was a teenager at the time and I had made custard in little pots for dessert. I put the sauce on to cook, you have to pour boiling water on burnt sugar and let it boil for seven minutes. I fell asleep and when I awoke the pan was filled to the top with a cement like layer of charcoal sugar. I tried chipping it out of the pan, but gave up. When the pan was cooled off I just hung it back up, burnt treasure side in, and waited for my mother to discover it. She wasn't too impressed. I think she gave me the pot for my birthday a few years later...Oh yes and then I remember the time I baked fruitcakes for my mom and my aunties, etc. You have to cook them for about three hours at a very low temperature. This was a holiday ritual at our house. My mother always stuffed dates with walnuts so that when you cut a slice, there would bre this nice circle in yr slice. I was alone in the house, and three days later I remembered the fruitcakes. They were solid carbon. I wrapped them up and sent them out any way..I doubt anyone was terribly amused except for me and my tiny mother.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  07:09:13 AM  Show Profile
My grandmother's two rules if you mess up something in the kitchen.

1. Throw it away.

2. Don't tell anyone you made it.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  09:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Before I had sinus surgery years ago, I had trouble tasting food and would sometimes add too much spice. WAY too much spice. There were a few times that it tasted okay to me, and my hubby would say "sorry dear, I can't eat this." After surgery, I realized just how much I'd been pouring on just so I could taste it. So there have been a few of those disasters over the years... *L*

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rain4nights
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Bess
Cleveland OH
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KYgurlsrbest

They have regular, beef and chicken flavored....which...again, what the "flavor" is I'm not sure because it would stand to reason that it would HAVE to be created because it's a vegetarian item...anyway. I don't recommend it :)

I have been a vegetarian for 7 or 8 years now (my dh too), and I have had some successes with fake meat, and even fake meat in chili. You may need to experiment to find a brand or style you like to work with though. Sometimes I get frozen fake meat for some recipes, and sometimes I use a dehydrated TVP (textured vegetable protein) depending on the recipe.

I did have a recent chili disaster though: I was trying to use up ingredients that had been hanging around my pantry too long. Unbeknownst to me, there must be a shelf-life to dried beans? I made some chili with kidney beans that admittedly had been around at least a few years (we don't make chili that often). I did the proper dry bean pre-soak and all that. And I made my yummy chili (fake meat and all), I cooked it the requisite couple of hours... but the beans were still pretty hard... so I cooked it another hour... beans still pretty tough... another hour?... beans still awfully chewy... after about 5 hours of cooking, allowing to sit overnight, another 30 min of cooking... the beans were just barely edible!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Re-reading some of these posts were fun. We are all so human, even when it comes to cooking. I remember cooking rice in a pot on the stove. I could never get the rice out of the pot. I soaked the whole thing in water and the rice came out shaped like a pot.
These postings are priceless. Enjoy.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  11:29:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh man... this post brings back memories! The worst thing I've ever made was homemade spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes in the slow cooker.. I added too much fresh basil and forgot to remove the bay leaf (my mother's addition). Hours later? Absolute yuck-o. A whole pickin' of tomatoes wasted. The worst thing my MOTHER ever made was Greek pastitsio... I don't know whether she did it wrong, or that it's supposed to taste the way she made it, but let's just suffice it to say we ended up going out for pizza that night. Well... we try, right? You cook, you learn. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic what's the worst thing you made? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page